Baltic Birch Plywood

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
sandman

Re: Baltic Birch Plywood

Post by sandman » 28 Jun 2009, 21:22

apparently eric Johnson could tell duracell vs. Energizer in his pedals. I doubt my ears could tell that kind of crap, letalone the inebriated punters at the gig!
needs to spend less time on forums, more time on bass..

xboa721

Post by xboa721 » 25 May 2016, 19:26

A most entertaining thread to read...

After much research into plywoods for another purpose I found this thread. Generally the info provided above is good and reliable or at least worth a laugh.

Can I add a couple of bits:
1. Philippine mahogany is NOT mahogany. Usually meranti or teak or something like that.
2. BB ply is beautiful stuff with some really important specs: no voids and really clean. The lack of voids can be important considering resonant qualities. It's also REALLY tough.
3. American Birch Ply has more defects. The timber is native to the Baltic regions and suffers less bugs/rot/fungi problems there.
4. Finnish Birch is the best followed by Russian and then you get the yankee stuff. Richlands imports the stuff into AU from Russian. The timber originates from Russia and the Ukraine.
5. Hardwood faced ply here in Australia is not the same beast as BB and while it has a different/better appearance in some situations, it may not always be better than softwood ply. It can be 'brittle', suffer more tear out, etc.
6. Marine Ply, specifically, uses a waterproof glue: Phenyl-formaldehyde rather than the interior grade Urea-formaldehyde. That's the deal with marine ply. What veneers marine ply is made from is another question!
7. Bunnings AA marine ply is usually pretty decent for almost anything you want ply for, including cabs, basically because like BB it's void free - well, on a good day, at least !! :D
8. Exterior grade ply travels well but for sound quality of a cab, glue two or more sheets of MDF together and that's really tough to beat for stiff board/anti-resonant cab. Mind you, it's heavy as hell and you won't catch me roadie-ing those boxes anytime soon. Why glue MDF together? Know what a torsion box is? makes for much stiffer panels that resist flexing. A 25mm MDF panel will flex more than 2 12.5mm panels glued together. True, this isn't a genuine torsion box but if you want to consider clever stuff at the interface of the two panels I think that you'll find some pretty cool stuff going on there. Perhaps more useful to consider building a sandwich of two 6mm panels or something. You could get clever and whack a 3mm panel in the middle there too. Then again, you could just buy ply.....

From these suppliers: ;)
Mister Ply&Wood QLD & NSW
Plyco VIC
Gunnersen (AU wide, ish)
Yateswood.com.au (NSW)

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 25 May 2016, 20:01

now THAT is an impressive first post, resurrecting a 7 year old zombie thread, well done !

I wonder how the OP's cab build is going, do you think it's finished yet?
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 25 May 2016, 20:32

I'm still here, and I've moved on to building cabs from materials that aren't any kind of wood :)
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

xboa721

Post by xboa721 » 26 May 2016, 19:25

You know what.. the main reason I'd go and do something dumb like that is that there's real valuable information lying around in random corners of various forums, just waiting to be dug up!

Petebass, so uve moved to carving cabs outta rock? Sounds kinda jazzy.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 26 May 2016, 20:41

xboa721 wrote: Petebass, so uve moved to carving cabs outta rock? Sounds kinda jazzy.
I did a major experiment and documented it all this forum. I built a 1x12 cab out of plywood, then built an exact replica out of composites. Surprise surprise, I was able to get them sounding exactly the same, and the frequency response measurements prove it.

6 years later and that 2x112 rig is still my No 1 rig. Seriously lightweight, and seriously good!

There's a link in my signature if your interested.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

xboa721

Post by xboa721 » 26 May 2016, 20:45

Petebass wrote: Surprise surprise, I was able to get them sounding exactly the same, and the frequency response measurements prove it.
that's awesome. It's nice when the science supports reality!!
good news and great fb! will check out ur link...

andrew

Post by andrew » 13 Jan 2019, 07:17

chrapladm wrote:
06 Jun 2009, 19:21
... where in South Australia I can buy some Baltic Birch(BB) Plywood?
I notice that this question, the main question, went totally unanswered.

It would be great if a list of Adelaide / South Australian stores could be listed for the various types of Plywood.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 14 Jan 2019, 13:21

Did the OP's cabs get built?
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 15 Jan 2019, 07:15

I never thought this forum would get old enough to revive 10 year old threads when I started this out. Well done everyone for sticking around. :D

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 15 Jan 2019, 07:40

Phil wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 07:15
I never thought this forum would get old enough to revive 10 year old threads when I started this out. Well done everyone for sticking around. :D
Did the OP stick around? You'd think he would given his superior design and all that :)