Post your Effects setup! (boards, racks, doowhackeys)

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
JimP

Re: Post your Effects setup! (boards, racks, doowhackeys)

Post by JimP » 19 May 2018, 15:30

I hear you about the Moog LPF in a smaller enclosure Simon. Remember you nearly sold me yours last year but then I think you fell in love with it's sound again in spite of its massive footprint :lol: I ended up finding one soon after but sold it again for that reason and bought the Xero.

Problem is, the board didn't grow organically one pedal at a time, so it's a steep learning curve for me seeing if/how these all work together and with my gear. I've already moved a couple on since that post. The Beta's gone as it was too dark for my Jazz with flatwounds, the Meatbox and Saturnworks pedal order switcher are on the bench for now and there's a CAL Grizzly on the way. I have always been curious about the IE Oxide too.

The two comp plan was Diamond up front for light comp and general tone enhancement, and Empress at the end post fx for either more gentle comp or limiting if needed. This seems to generally work ok, but problems come up eg. the Zeus (which I love) doesn't seem to play as well with comp either before OR after it, so I need to try and work out if they can live together somehow. The Zeus and other octave/fuzz combos into the Xero is awesome once you dial in the the Xero's sweet spot, but then my clean signal is nowhere near strong enough to trigger the Xero's envelope at that setting. So now I've got a John K Agent 00Funk on the way for clean filter early on and the Xero further down the line for a synth fuzz filter.

The You're Doom, Zeus and CW are completely different beasts. CW is a great muff clone which I think sounds even ballsier with some clean via the Mosquite blender. I'm still working the YD out, but there are some cool and unusual synthy textures to be had in there. The Zeus's gated fuzz with the octave down just sounds so good! The octave sound is a similar analog square wave kind of relative to the OC2, similar but not the same. I've had problems getting the Zeus's fuzz and octave volumes right while changing pedal chain order due to them being internal trim pots. I'm just getting the trim pots changed to more user friendly external knobs, which will make it easier to adjust and maybe more flexible for dialling up different sounds on the run.

I haven't gotten into the expressionators or Infinity in any great depth yet. I haven't let myself even look at extra new pedals like the POG since I've already run out of room on this board! As for the top jacks & wiring, the EBS gold patch cables are awesome and really make a significant difference, at least over the width of this board!
Fender 62 AVRI Jazz, Ampeg V4B, Ampeg SVT 212

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 22 May 2018, 13:02

It changes regularly but so far Im digging this hard:
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

Sandberg VS4, 57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, AG TH500, Bassman 115 Pro, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212

benhill1982

Post by benhill1982 » 09 Jun 2018, 20:57

Latest iteration of the small board. I’m still wondering how to squeeze an envelope filter on there. Maybe next to the Ls2.
Bass: Sandberg, Dingwall, Sadowsky, Musicman
Rig: Ampeg SVT-VR, Bergantino NV610T, Forte, Reference 322, IP310
Studio: Pro Tools, UAD, NI, Shure, AKG, Focusrite, Sleishman, DW, Sabian, Zildjian, Moog, Fender, Marshall

jcburn

Post by jcburn » 10 Jun 2018, 19:54

Hey Ben - how's that old Hematoma sounding? How do you use it? From memory it had smooth, warm overdrive?
'97 G&L L2000. '95 G&L L2000. Fender Frank Bello. Yamaha TRB4
Warwick Quad VI. Warwick Tubepath 5.1. Hartke LH500.
Ashdown ABM 410 x 2
Line 6 G30. Dunlop Bass Crybaby Wah. EBS Billy Sheehan Dlx. DSM Noisemaker OCS. BOSS Bass EQ.

benhill1982

Post by benhill1982 » 10 Jun 2018, 20:37

jcburn wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 19:54
Hey Ben - how's that old Hematoma sounding? How do you use it? From memory it had smooth, warm overdrive?
Hi - yeah, it’s quite nice. Warm, organic type low gain grind. Similar to my old Dark Driving in some ways, with a bit more tweakability. I run it on top of a clean tone for a nice bit of warm grit.
Studio: Pro Tools, UAD, NI, Shure, AKG, Focusrite, Sleishman, DW, Sabian, Zildjian, Moog, Fender, Marshall

Boopbohead

Post by Boopbohead » 13 Jun 2018, 00:21

Hey Funky Jase, great idea with the skateboard. How do you stick the pedals on, just with velcro? I've got a few old decks lying around that could come in handy...
Kingy

slave

Post by slave » 13 Jun 2018, 01:02

JimP wrote:
19 May 2018, 15:30
..... once you dial in the the Xero's sweet spot, but then my clean signal is nowhere near strong enough to trigger the Xero's envelope at that setting.
Yeah I always found the Xero a little difficult to trigger with my setup. I run a Super Symmetry at the start of my board to set my "unity" volume for the rest of the board. I found this was the only way I could get the best out of my pedals, but especially the fuzz & filters.

BTW, love the skateboard setup. :thumbup:

MentalPatient

Post by MentalPatient » 04 Jul 2018, 20:43

Not a set up, just some group shots.
Currently working on some boards.

Last edited by MentalPatient on 29 Jul 2018, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
Glockenklang Heart Rock II | Steamhammer | 6-Box | Quattro | Roscoe
Last edited by MentalPatient on 15 Apr 2015, 18:10, edited 963,482,564,947 times in total

jcburn

Post by jcburn » 05 Jul 2018, 09:27

Hey man - 4 pedals I've always wanted to try. Battering Ram, 5th Gear, Planet B and Olde Dirty Bass.

Long shot but any chance you could describe sounds of each one and how you use them? Even what they might be similar to?
Ashdown ABM 410 x 2
Line 6 G30. Dunlop Bass Crybaby Wah. EBS Billy Sheehan Dlx. DSM Noisemaker OCS. BOSS Bass EQ.

MentalPatient

Post by MentalPatient » 06 Jul 2018, 22:24

Battering Ram - Nothing else like it, can do sustain and sizzling like nothing else if you want. Legendary for a narrow band of the metal genre's. Somewhere between doom and stoner, not for rock or articulate fast metal. Really nice (really technical term). The only octave I've heard that I like and I generally stay away from upper octave pedals but the circuit in this one works perfectly with the OD. Update -> after some more listening I sold it to a guitarist.

5th Gear - Plenty of talk on TB for this, great as an always on. I'd just be repeating what's already been said.

Planet B - A few demo's out there. Deiode's Excalibur is a step up in versatility and can do a more huge old school sound if you want it to.

Olde Dirty Bass - Soundcloud demo link on the website where they can be purchased.
Last edited by MentalPatient on 29 Jul 2018, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by MentalPatient on 15 Apr 2015, 18:10, edited 963,482,564,947 times in total

jcburn

Post by jcburn » 07 Jul 2018, 17:24

MentalPatient wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 22:24
Battering Ram - Nothing else like it, can do sustain and sizzling like nothing else if you want. Legendary for metal. Really nice (really technical term). The only octave I've heard that I like and I generally stay away from upper octave pedals but the circuit in this one works perfectly with the OD.

5th Gear - Plenty of talk on TB for this, great as an always on. I'd just be repeating what's already been said.

Planet B - A few demo's out there. Deiode's Excalibur is a step up in versatility and can do a more huge old school sound if you want it to.

Olde Dirty Bass - Soundcloud demo link on the website where they can be purchased.
Thanks man...just checked the Wounded Paw website and noticed the BR has 2 other versions. The one with para-EQ looks sweet.
Ashdown ABM 410 x 2

JimP

Post by JimP » 07 Jul 2018, 21:12

MentalPatient wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 20:43
Not a set up, just some group shots.
Currently working on some boards.
Nice! No vanilla pedals in that lot.
Fender 62 AVRI Jazz, Ampeg V4B, Ampeg SVT 212

MentalPatient

Post by MentalPatient » 09 Jul 2018, 08:55

She sounds as good as she look's -

Update - the post picturing my pedal collection is already out of date, 5 out and three on the way in.

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 29 Jul 2018, 09:07

Not the most interesting pedal board but I have some recent additions with the Meatsmoke and the TWA great divide ... two pedals I’ve wanted for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benhill1982

Post by benhill1982 » 29 Jul 2018, 15:49

SneakyJak wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 09:07
Not the most interesting pedal board but I have some recent additions with the Meatsmoke and the TWA great divide ... two pedals I’ve wanted for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Needs more low end.... :lol:
Nice rig!