Schaller S Locks the best ?

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
BazzBass

Schaller S Locks the best ?

Post by BazzBass » 11 Nov 2019, 12:29

Tried the others, having to keep the nut on the strap tightened defeated the purpose, Tried Diago Twistlocks, they only really worked with old straps with loose button holes as far as twisting the strap off. Tried Grolsch washers,they bind to the strap pin turning it back and forth til it's loose.

Saw the vid for Schaller S Locks and loved the engineering involved. I may have dropped out of engineering but I still have it in my blood lol.

Elegant design, the locking grub screw should eliminate the need to keep checking the nut. Extra long spindle to accomadate thick straps was a plus too. Oh, and they don't rattle at all.

PS YMMV IMHO etc etc but for me these look the best solution.
Last edited by BazzBass on 11 Nov 2019, 14:19, edited 2 times in total.
Loud things: Trace Elliot Elf and 10" cabs ,Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs, Yamaha DTX drums
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P,J&J Fretless,Hofner B Bass,Mike Dirnt P, SX J
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

vin-tone

Re: Schaller S Locks the best

Post by vin-tone » 11 Nov 2019, 12:34

I used to use these. The U-shaped holder span around and neck smashed into the stage mid-set.

8/
Fender Roscoe Beck V, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 11 Nov 2019, 12:50

vin-tone wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 12:34
I used to use these. The U-shaped holder span around and neck smashed into the stage mid-set.

8/
NOOOOOoooooooo

hopefully it's been addressed.....

hang on, shouldn't the locking pin in the strap pin cavity mean it can't come out?

can't happen on mine,the U part is solid with the spindle,can't spin, not when the nut is tight.
Loud things: Trace Elliot Elf and 10" cabs ,Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs, Yamaha DTX drums
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P,J&J Fretless,Hofner B Bass,Mike Dirnt P, SX J

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 11 Nov 2019, 13:39

I tried these on a guitar that came with the buttons from the factory but the rattle threw me off, this was the older design. The new design would work much better I think. Maybe not as well as this:
https://www.amazon.com.au/Grolsch-Bottl ... B004NXUJ06
Strings: Fender, Narcdor, Framus, MusicMan
Knobs: Aguilar, MarkBass
Cones: Barefaced, Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 11 Nov 2019, 14:17

narcdor wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 13:39
Maybe not as well as this:
they don't taste as nice, I agree, but I said in the OP "Tried Grolsch washers,they bind to the strap pin turning it back and forth til it's loose.". At least with thicker straps. IMHO

PS slightly changed the title to ask if they are best rather than state that they are :)

MentalPatient

Re: Schaller S Locks the best ?

Post by MentalPatient » 11 Nov 2019, 15:45

BazzBass wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 12:29
Elegant design, the locking grub screw should eliminate the need to keep checking the nut.
I have the previous design without the grub screws, really there is no need to keep checking the nut if you apply a drop of Loctite.

Do you trust the grub screw's ? Loctite can eliminate that need as well.
Glockenklang Heart Rock II, 6-Box, , Steamhammer, Quattro
Roscoe SKB+, Sandberg Terrabass
Last edited by MentalPatient on 15 Apr 2015, 18:10, edited 963,482,564,947 times in total

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 11 Nov 2019, 19:59

BazzBass wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 14:17
narcdor wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 13:39
Maybe not as well as this:
they don't taste as nice, I agree, but I said in the OP "Tried Grolsch washers,they bind to the strap pin turning it back and forth til it's loose.". At least with thicker straps. IMHO

PS slightly changed the title to ask if they are best rather than state that they are :)
Ah missed that one, can’t say it’s ever happened to me but I’m not very active on stage. Mostly use vintage fender style buttons if that makes any difference and thicker leather straps usually with suede backing for grip.

I did have a strap button work loose once but it was before the grolsch washers.

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 12 Nov 2019, 10:57

:lol: Loctite, Grub Screws, Rattling...... :lol:

I don't use anything at the moment, but in the past I've been happy with simple things:

(a) Using a string tree as a button
(b) The Duesenberg buttons

https://store.duesenberg.de/en/hardware ... ock-endpin
Tiny bar? People eating their dinner? Band wedged into the corner? Guess I'll only bring two of my quad boxes.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 12 Nov 2019, 11:15

bigswifty wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 10:57

I don't use anything at the moment, but in the past I've been happy with simple things:

You mean like a fender circle string tree? That would do it!

I do like the look of that Duesenberg design, I might look into that. Looks fantastic too!

drbass

Post by drbass » 12 Nov 2019, 11:24

Completely moved to Dunlop (from the "old" Schallers) a couple of years ago. Love the "flush mount" option for instrument design clarity.

One issue: you have to be very careful to lock the pin properly!

Regards,
Michael
Stuff ...

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 12 Nov 2019, 12:26

They are nice, and a very clean look not jutting out like the schaller design. I had those on an old 80s thumb bass and they worked well, but yes had to check the pins were locked in properly by pulling on it a bit.

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 12 Nov 2019, 13:59

I have used both genuine schaller's and Chinese knock-offs. The schaller's had a nicer finish but both have worked equally well.
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 12 Nov 2019, 14:09

bigswifty wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 10:57

a) is clever thinking

B) is what I thought of to try and make,and realised I suck at making things hehe. This is the smartest solution. Can we buy them from Duesenberg?

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 12 Nov 2019, 14:13

BazzBass wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 14:09
<SNIP>
B) is what I thought of to try and make,and realised I suck at making things hehe. This is the smartest solution. Can we buy them from Duesenberg?
Bet your bass you can bazz. My Duesenber came with them, they work great, super quality. Cheap IMO:

Mike
Tiny bar? People eating their dinner? Band wedged into the corner? Guess I'll only bring two of my quad boxes.

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 12 Nov 2019, 14:19

Since I'm steering this thread into old tech, here's one from the past:

http://www.evhgear.com/gear/accessories ... eye-hooks/

Hah, it costs more than the minimal, elegant, well made Deusenberg. :lol: :lol: :lol: