DIY Active Blend Control...

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
bassbass

DIY Active Blend Control...

Post by bassbass » 17 May 2019, 10:49

Hi all, just thought I'd post my latest pair of Project Berocca Videos.

With an Active Blend Control, you can match the outputs of two dissimilar pickups, and you can tweak the tone of one without effecting the other... :thumbup:

PROJECT BEROCCA (On YT)
fb/robkiddmusicofficial
robkiddmusic.com

WestOfBen

Re: DIY Active Blend Control...

Post by WestOfBen » 17 May 2019, 16:12

I am usually a bridge or both pickups kind of guy but lately really getting into neck pickups. That neck pickup I think is gorgeous. With some of your fingerstyle playing I hear a tone a little like the neck pickup in my Rickenbacker, especially with the tone rolled back a bit. Nice work!
Rickenbacker 4003JG, Epiphone Ripper, Marina P/J fretless, Tanglewood ABG, 1960s Rose Music Tempo SS semi-hollow bass, an acoustic guitar, GK 700RB-II, SWR Henry 8x8, some pedals
My band is called Ascribe!

bassbass

Post by bassbass » 19 May 2019, 20:32

Thanks mate. If you watched the episode where I wound that pickup, I really just wanted to have hum cancelling and an even output from the short and long coils. If I had some higher gauge (skinnier) winding wire, I think I could have got it closer to a traditional fender passive pickup tone and output. I knew it would be underwound, and have a low output, but the bass was always going to get the active blend control. Honestly, I could have just routed it to a soap bar or something but I was interested in the challenge of designing something limited to the slim single coil form factor.

Since doing that video, I have tweaked both sides of the active blend control slightly. I increased the impedance on the bridge pickup side, just to get a little more of the very high end. And I lowered the cap value slightly on that neck pickup. It was still just a little raspy compared to the P. This of course was mostly to do with the instrument itself - the timbers etc.
PROJECT BEROCCA (On YT)
fb/robkiddmusicofficial
robkiddmusic.com

WestOfBen

Post by WestOfBen » 20 May 2019, 07:29

I feel it is one of those things, I have known a couple of sound engineers to say it is better to have a little more top end or even rasp, because you can at least cut it or shape it, but to not have enough, you can’t put that stuff in.
Rickenbacker 4003JG, Epiphone Ripper, Marina P/J fretless, Tanglewood ABG, 1960s Rose Music Tempo SS semi-hollow bass, an acoustic guitar, GK 700RB-II, SWR Henry 8x8, some pedals
My band is called Ascribe!

bassbass

Post by bassbass » 20 May 2019, 12:17

For sure. Really, the testing, calculations, and oscilloscopes are great to help understand what's going on, and to save a huge amount of time in designing something, but the final word should always be given to your ears...
PROJECT BEROCCA (On YT)
fb/robkiddmusicofficial
robkiddmusic.com

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 20 May 2019, 23:23

Thanks for the great coverage and insights - love the blend pot, I wondered how to do that, as I've been wanting to do this for "when I get some time". I'll have a play with this module:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-5V-15V-1 ... 2554358280
The AD828 with phenomenal bandwidth (intended for video) and ultra-low consumption (and I think plenty low-noise) is used in an inverting config, but politely has a place to put your own gain resistors.
Its astounding what advances have been made in op-amps - assuming this one will fly for bass ok, - FYI.
$2.45 plus gst
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technic ... /AD828.pdf
I see..............basses!

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 21 May 2019, 14:18

Wow - the transformation in the sound of the pickups is incredible and you really nailed the stingray and p bass tones!

So - when did you say you were moving to Sydney? :p

I recently converted my Lakland 5502 to passive so I could have a passive tone control. Would love to do something similar to your project Berocca to get the bridge pickup to sound more Stingrayish and the neck pick to have more a vintage p sound. My electronics and soldering experience is non-existent... Might have to hit up Matt at Saltmine :hmm
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Univox basses
Genz Benz, Tech 21, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

bassbass

Post by bassbass » 22 May 2019, 14:19

Thanks for the great coverage and insights - love the blend pot, I wondered how to do that, as I've been wanting to do this for "when I get some time". I'll have a play with this module:
Cheers mate. Go for it. Not sure about that module. I've never designed anything for video mixing. But for a couple of bucks, why not?
The AD828 with phenomenal bandwidth (intended for video) and ultra-low consumption (and I think plenty low-noise) is used in an inverting config, but politely has a place to put your own gain resistors.
Weirdly the pic shows a different IC. I looked it up, its a headphone driver opamp. As for the 828, well yeah, it's not really intended for audio use, with such high slew rate. And 15mA is actually pretty high for an audio IC. You won't get a huge battery life, but for experimenting etc. Yeah go for it! If it works out, you could always replace the opamp.
I recently converted my Lakland 5502 to passive so I could have a passive tone control.
Yeah, these corts are heavily influenced by the lakland stuff. Not just the mm/single coil pickups, but also the headstock layout. FWIW, you can still have a passive tone control with an active preamp, or even a passive tone control that only works on the neck pickup if you go with an active blend control...
PROJECT BEROCCA (On YT)
fb/robkiddmusicofficial
robkiddmusic.com