Time to throw out your old tube amps - nutube is here

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
DeadlyErnest

Time to throw out your old tube amps - nutube is here

Post by DeadlyErnest » 15 May 2019, 21:00

https://diyaudiostore.com/products/korg-nutube
What is it?

The Korg Nutube 6P1 is a new, miniature, low-power dual directly-heated triode device. It was developed by Korg (of musical instrument fame) and Noritake Itron, a manufacturer of vacuum fluorescent displays, in Japan. Although it is a true directly heated triode, it is manufactured differently than traditional vacuum tubes, which gives it some unique attributes.

Electrically, the Nutube 6P1 is somewhat comparable to the battery-powered “hearing aid” tubes. It operates on very low voltages – the filament is rated at 700mV, and plate supply voltages can be as low as 5V.
For example

https://www.bettermusic.com.au/vox-msb2 ... gINvPD_BwE

Serious sound that exceeds its appearance

Nutube is the new vacuum tube developed in a collaboration between KORG and Noritake Itron. This dream device uses vacuum fluorescent display technology to obtain the same vacuum tube sound and response, while eliminating the problematic aspects of a vacuum tube, and has begun being used by VOX as well as other musical instrument manufacturers.

The Nutube is used in the VOX MINI SUPERBEETLE, faithfully reproducing the tonal character of VOX’s legendary AC30. The sparkling, chimey sound that has captivated guitarists for more than fifty years is alive and well in this new amplifier. Additionally, the traditional VOX tremolo effect has also been included. The amplitude of the tremolo also changes the depth of Nutube distortion, varying the sound, resulting a true tube driven tremolo effect. Also provided is a digital reverb that simulates a classic spring reverb, dramatically improving the potential for shaping your sound. An extension speaker cabinet can also be added to this package for more volume when you need it. The MINI SUPERBEETLE is not merely a reproduction of the classic stack; it is a true re-imagination of the amp that has been updated to meet the needs of today’s players.
That amp is very small. You can try the head out now on a standard bass speaker if anyone is keen. :)
Will play for food.

DoctorJohn

Re: Time to throw out your old tube amps - nutube is here

Post by DoctorJohn » 15 May 2019, 23:48

This has been around a while. But you’ll never beat a real tube amp... Ever.

packrat

Post by packrat » 16 May 2019, 00:30

ALso you can tell it's a real tube amp the way it lovelingly pulls your arms out of their sockets.

basshack

Post by basshack » 16 May 2019, 09:41

Or puts you in hospital with a double hernia because it cares so much...
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 16 May 2019, 16:39

I think tube amps are fast becoming anachronistic on today's stages where our amps rarely cover the room but are used more and more as personal monitors. Aside from smaller bars and clubs, where our rig is providing all the bass, at larger venues we are going thru the FOH, and more and more people are going IEM or pedalboard straight to FOH.

Shame coz a big tube amp thru an 8x10 cab still kills it
Loud things: Trace Elliot Elf and 10" cabs ,Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, Hofner B Bass, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

bobbybdazzler

Post by bobbybdazzler » 16 May 2019, 18:10

I’m with the Doctor, as good as Class D are getting and as much as I love AB. You can’t beat all tube..... and we often help carry the PA out at the end of the night, I’m used to carrying huge ungainly pieces of musical equipment, a tube amp ain’t that bad and you can always ask for help.
Just picked up this head, 15kg and on top of the Ashdown 8x10 would easily handle a club gig.
Lakland, Spector, Elmo ARB5, Eppi Thunderbird, Czech Bouble Bass
Mesa, Ampeg, Eden, TC Electronics, Orange, Genz Benz, GK, Trace, Line6, Golden Tone, Eminar, Quilter.

bom bom

Post by bom bom » 16 May 2019, 19:20

Valve heads aren’t that bad to carry and put in the car, its always been heavy cabs that you have to be careful with I reckon.
Even tho Im not playing iron amps at the moment, I gotta agree with Dr John tho, I remember the first time I plugged into an SVT , I realised then what a real bass amp actually feels and sounds like.
Had never heard of Nu-tube but.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 16 May 2019, 20:48

Remember when the days of tubes were numbered because of these new things called MOSFETS?
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

DoctorJohn

Post by DoctorJohn » 16 May 2019, 21:27

I’ve had two mosfet amps blow up on me. Never a tube amp. Not going back there

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 17 May 2019, 00:46

The first Tube Amp I purchased was a Super Bassman. I went to try it out to see what all the carryon about tube amps was, and put it to bed in my mind for good. By the time I got home I'd worked out what I was going to sell to purchase it and listed the items immediately. I've got some great D class stuff, and I use it and enjoy it, but tubes are king for me.
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Gibson I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

Heath

Post by Heath » 17 May 2019, 09:40

I tried the Ibanez tube screamer with the nutube in it, it’s really sweet.
Cole Clarke LL5, Yamaha 425x, Fender CS 57P+Geddy Lee, Sandberg Ida, Spector Euro 4LX, Belman Custom 5
Amps: Markbass
http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band

DeadlyErnest

Post by DeadlyErnest » 17 May 2019, 11:11

Heath wrote:
17 May 2019, 09:40
Makes a change from the original tube screamer which just had a couple of diodes and integrated op-amp in it doing the hard work.
Will play for food.

bom bom

Post by bom bom » 17 May 2019, 12:19

Valves ( tubes ) will never die ( IMHO ) - lets thank guitarists for that hey.
No guitarist would be seen dead playing with a solid state amp, a strat thru a Mesa Boogie, Supro, Fender Twin, Vox AC30 etc etc is something bloody special I reckon.
Its funny how they told Leo in 66' that transistors would be the death of guitar Valve amps.
Bass different story of course.
But I reckon ( and hope ) there will always be a place for the SVT, Bassman 300 and the V4B ( I mite have missed one ?? )

Heath

Post by Heath » 17 May 2019, 12:22

DeadlyErnest wrote:
17 May 2019, 11:11
Heath wrote:
17 May 2019, 09:40
Makes a change from the original tube screamer which just had a couple of diodes and integrated op-amp in it doing the hard work.
It also has a clean blend
Cole Clarke LL5, Yamaha 425x, Fender CS 57P+Geddy Lee, Sandberg Ida, Spector Euro 4LX, Belman Custom 5
Amps: Markbass
http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band

DeadlyErnest

Post by DeadlyErnest » 17 May 2019, 12:57

The other issue is we just have to get the power output up from about 12mW to 60W.
Will play for food.