Build #022 - Let's Go Short (30")

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
drbass

Re: Build #022 - Let's Go Short (30")

Post by drbass » 13 May 2019, 17:55

Phil wrote:
13 May 2019, 17:03
A shame about all the blowout. With really punky spalt you're better off first flooding it with water thin CA, Ait'll sink enough into the spalt to stabilise it.

I'd be curious to hear how the epoxy went after you sand it back. I've used it once and spent so much time sanding it that I dropped the idea after that. It's really a pain to work on. I'm afraid at the thickness it is it'll just stay on top of the wood and not absorb too much in it, you might end up with the same issue after you've sanded it back. Anyway let me know how it goes Thursday :D

Apart from that it looks like a million bucks, your designs are really nice.
Thanks, Phil,

Looking forward to catching up. I’ll bring it along.

The West System epoxy is reasonably low viscosity and the timber was really porous - I could actually see the liquid seep in so I’m somewhat confident it does some stabilising. It’s really meant more as filling actual holes, and of course there’s a secret ingredient in the mix ;) .

Not looking forward to the sanding ... .

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

drbass

Post by drbass » 18 May 2019, 12:16

Updates on the body later.

Routed the truss rod and carbon rod slots:

And then an all-in-one glue-up: epoxy mixed and poured into the carbon rod slots, rods pushed in, squeezed-out epoxy evenly distributed, fretboard applied (pre-slotted) and clamps. It's a clamp jungle out there ... .

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 18 May 2019, 13:05

No Australian flag themed democracy basses today? Or perhaps shaped and charred like a sausage?

That neck colour combo is going to look great after carving I reckon.
Strings: Fender, Narcdor, Framus, MusicMan
Knobs: Aguilar, MarkBass
Cones: Barefaced, Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

drbass

Post by drbass » 18 May 2019, 13:12

narcdor wrote:
18 May 2019, 13:05
No Australian flag themed democracy basses today? Or perhaps shaped and charred like a sausage?

That neck colour combo is going to look great after carving I reckon.
Not involved in the democratic process - permanent resident without voting eligibility (I'll address that in the new future) so no, no commentary on today's significance.

The wenge pieces are quite different, and one has some (what look like) wormholes in it so it'll be quite interesting to see what the final grain will look like. Just like the rasta fretless (the sound of which was massively praised after Thursday night's blues gig) this is a complete left-over parts build so whatever happens happens.

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 25 May 2019, 06:11

It's a weird game, building. One can spend hours and hours without much to show for it (final stages of building #014 and #016, for example) and then you have phases where a couple of hours move you along at a great click.

Shorty is in that latter phase. Some epoxy removal and rough sanding for the body, some time with the bandsaw and linisher in the workshop, a little bit of time with the drill press and it looks like it's pretty much done. Not so fast, folks.

Here's Shorty:

Obviously the board hasn't been worked on at all, and there's a lot more time to go into the neck full stop. And I'll have to make a new template for the electronics hold - it has to be small.

Here's Shorty glowing (no, not with pride, just quietly):

I know, gimmick. Won't be repeated but you have to try these things to appreciate what goes into it.

And here is Shorty with the bigger brother:

I REALLY like the body shape. By pushing it together the proportions just fell into place. Big brother looks a little anorexic and lanky, Shorty looks just right (YMMV). Having said that the whole thing is just so ridiculously short and tiny, it's hard to believe.

I'll bring Shorty to Sydney (whatever state it's in) so you can see for yourself. The really interesting thing will be whether the B string works at 30".

Regards,
Michael

Curto

Post by Curto » 25 May 2019, 07:50

All I can see is pandas??? Flickr issues?
Custom 32 & 35

drbass

Post by drbass » 25 May 2019, 07:51

Curto wrote:
25 May 2019, 07:50
All I can see is pandas??? Flickr issues?
Yes, Flickr has been playing up for me in the last couple of days. Looks like they're migrating to new servers and are currently down. for maintenance, sorry. Hopefully back up soon.

Regards,
Michael

basshack

Post by basshack » 25 May 2019, 08:27

At least you got pandas. I got nothing. Emperors new clothes Michael?
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

drbass

Post by drbass » 25 May 2019, 09:04

So small you can’t even see it. Might have gone too far this time 😉.

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 26 May 2019, 06:47

Well, looks like all my pics have disappeared. Still visible on Flickr but not displaying here. Sorry, folks.

Regards,
Michael

P.S.: Flickr-hosted pics display fine on Talkbass so it could be an issue with the link (I just copy and paste the URL).

drbass

Post by drbass » 26 May 2019, 08:41

Looks like just copying and pasting the URL of the pic doesn't work anymore on the forum - I need to actually use the IMG tags. Oh well, don't expect me to go back and change every single pic.

Let's try this one again. Same text.

It's a weird game, building. One can spend hours and hours without much to show for it (final stages of building #014 and #016, for example) and then you have phases where a couple of hours move you along at a great click.

Shorty is in that latter phase. Some epoxy removal and rough sanding for the body, some time with the bandsaw and linisher in the workshop, a little bit of time with the drill press and it looks like it's pretty much done. Not so fast, folks.

Here's Shorty:

The board has since been radius-sanded to 180 grit (like three others, it was a radius-sanding extravaganza yesterday).
I'll have to make a new template for the electronics hold - it has to be small.

Here's Shorty glowing (no, not with pride, just quietly):

I know, gimmick. Won't be repeated but you have to try these things to appreciate what goes into it.

And here is Shorty with the bigger brother:

I REALLY like the body shape. By pushing it together the proportions just fell into place. Big brother looks a little anorexic and lanky, Shorty looks just right (YMMV). Having said that the whole thing is just so ridiculously short and tiny, it's hard to believe.

I'll bring Shorty to Sydney (whatever state it's in) so you can see for yourself. The really interesting thing will be whether the B string works at 30".

Regards,
Michael

Curto

Post by Curto » 26 May 2019, 18:47

Wow! What did I miss? Was that dark flame in that top before? How did you get it to glow?
Custom 32 & 35

drbass

Post by drbass » 26 May 2019, 19:53

Curto wrote:
26 May 2019, 18:47
Wow! What did I miss? Was that dark flame in that top before? How did you get it to glow?
Not sure what you missed, Paul - I can't see what was there.

Short recap. Original top appearance:

I then put 1:10 diluted black dye on it (just like with Matt's "double BigBladeMan Monster"). I also decided to try the epoxy route of spalt stabilisation and filling and mixed in some glow powder:

Hours of sanding later I ended up here:

Won't do that again. Very subtle effect (will probably look great on a stage with black light lamps).

So that's what you've missed.

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 31 May 2019, 17:22

We DO need the rain but of course the current Melbourne weather means that my workshop is pretty much inoperable. Definitely not going to work on Matt's basses with the possibility of showers at any time but did a little more with Shorty.

Here's the rather cute cavity (exactly the same size as the 5 string Delano Xtender rout):

Been thinking about the electronics and have come to the conclusion that I might leave this one passive. Two options:

Only a three-way pickup selector (neck/both/bridge):

Or just the switch with vol and tone pot:

Realistically I never use the vol pot (always mute on my MS-3 before unplugging as well), and not really big on reducing clarity so I'm quite seriously thinking the first option.

Alternatively I can put in a Spector Tonepump (just fits) which will be active only and will require three knobs.

Any opinions?

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 31 May 2019, 17:43

Just noticed: the old pics are back up - yay!!!

Regards,
Michael