Build #022 - Let's Go Short (30")

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
drbass

Re: Build #022 - Let's Go Short (30")

Post by drbass » 13 May 2019, 17:55

Phil wrote:
13 May 2019, 17:03
A shame about all the blowout. With really punky spalt you're better off first flooding it with water thin CA, Ait'll sink enough into the spalt to stabilise it.

I'd be curious to hear how the epoxy went after you sand it back. I've used it once and spent so much time sanding it that I dropped the idea after that. It's really a pain to work on. I'm afraid at the thickness it is it'll just stay on top of the wood and not absorb too much in it, you might end up with the same issue after you've sanded it back. Anyway let me know how it goes Thursday :D

Apart from that it looks like a million bucks, your designs are really nice.
Thanks, Phil,

Looking forward to catching up. I’ll bring it along.

The West System epoxy is reasonably low viscosity and the timber was really porous - I could actually see the liquid seep in so I’m somewhat confident it does some stabilising. It’s really meant more as filling actual holes, and of course there’s a secret ingredient in the mix ;) .

Not looking forward to the sanding ... .

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

drbass

Post by drbass » 18 May 2019, 12:16

Updates on the body later.

Routed the truss rod and carbon rod slots:

And then an all-in-one glue-up: epoxy mixed and poured into the carbon rod slots, rods pushed in, squeezed-out epoxy evenly distributed, fretboard applied (pre-slotted) and clamps. It's a clamp jungle out there ... .

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 18 May 2019, 13:05

No Australian flag themed democracy basses today? Or perhaps shaped and charred like a sausage?

That neck colour combo is going to look great after carving I reckon.
Strings: Fender, Narcdor, Framus, Warwick
Knobs: Aguilar, MarkBass
Cones: Barefaced, Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

drbass

Post by drbass » 18 May 2019, 13:12

narcdor wrote:
18 May 2019, 13:05
No Australian flag themed democracy basses today? Or perhaps shaped and charred like a sausage?

That neck colour combo is going to look great after carving I reckon.
Not involved in the democratic process - permanent resident without voting eligibility (I'll address that in the new future) so no, no commentary on today's significance.

The wenge pieces are quite different, and one has some (what look like) wormholes in it so it'll be quite interesting to see what the final grain will look like. Just like the rasta fretless (the sound of which was massively praised after Thursday night's blues gig) this is a complete left-over parts build so whatever happens happens.

Regards,
Michael