What is it with Warwicks??

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
Paisley

What is it with Warwicks??

Post by Paisley » 08 Jan 2019, 22:15

It's no secret that in the past the resale value of Warwick Corvettes hasn't been all that great, considering what they cost new. That said, has there recently been even more of a slump in their popularity than what I'm aware of?

Reason being; I was watching a '98 Corvette 5 String on the 'Bay over the last week or so, which had a starting bid of $650. I've been keen on one of these for a while, so I was curious to see what it went for.
As the deadline got closer today, I started mulling over priorities (new Bass vs feeding the Family... :rolleyes ), as our current financial status doesn't allow for too many luxuries. It didn't help that the Vette was still sitting on the opening bid; however I did the right thing & pulled out, literally at the last minute!

It might have been the right thing to do, but I'm still kicking myself - the thing only had two bids from the same bidder; it went for the opening bid!
That's a 1998 German 5 String Vette with a wenge neck for $650!! 8|

I'm the first to admit that the price of brand new Wicks is pretty exorbitant, especially in Australia. However I've seen the stock 4 string Vettes usually pull at least $800-$1000 or more, so I was expecting this one to crack the $1K mark at least (which is half the reason I opted not to get tangled up in bidding on it at the last minute). :banghead:

Curious to know if this bargain was just an isolated incident, or have the Vettes taken an even bigger hit than what I realized? It's actually thrown me a bit of a curve ball; I'd still like to source a Vette 5'er, but this has left me wondering what I should be looking to pay for one.
:hmm
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

packrat

Re: What is it with Warwicks??

Post by packrat » 08 Jan 2019, 22:43

That's an unusually low price, particularly for the lighter ash-bodied german corvettes which have a wenge neck rather than the ovankol/cheese laminate. I wonder if people stopped looking because it was initially local pickup only (or because it was listed at a time of year when people aren't paying much attention).

Some folks are more enthusiastic about the $$ corvettes, but these are fine.

DoctorJohn

Post by DoctorJohn » 09 Jan 2019, 10:34

You'll probably find that if you put a bid in, it may have gone for a lot more. The other party lucked out that you decided not to bid. It does happen!

I think Warwicks are great basses and do seem to hold their value well. Agree with the above that the sale price was quite unusual.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 09 Jan 2019, 12:32

The $$ are holding their own, occasionally one of these single coils will go for a silly price, it seems to be the only Warwick where this happens, it’s rare to be THAT low. Just depends who is watching I guess, but that was a steal for a very fine instrument.
Strings: Fender, Custom, Framus, Warwick
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Cones: Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

basshack

Post by basshack » 09 Jan 2019, 12:56

I picked up a S2 Streamer in similar circumstances years back. Xmas day, nobody around and bidding closing. Thought I'd have a go and ended up in an awkward conversation with the wife over breakfast. Not the first time I've won stuff for silly prices by being there at the right time.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 09 Jan 2019, 17:10

Thanks for the replies everyone. :yep

Yeah I kind of guessed that might have been the case; he just listed it at an unfortunate time. Makes me realize even more that I should have jumped on it! :cry

Oh well; not to worry. TBH, I would prefer a $$ anyway - at least I can use that excuse to pacify myself! :lol:
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

Slapfest62

Post by Slapfest62 » 10 Jan 2019, 10:28

yeah, thats a shame . . . to me, that is a great price for a bass like that.
I'm NO expert in Warwicks at all, but that seems to be from the 'better' era, with the Wenge neck etc,
and I'd agree with others, probably unusually low. .
I bid in the last 10 seconds . . always . .
Doesnt always work, but its less stressful.
I just figure my maximum price and try and be last in with the bid.
(No doubt, everyone else does the same)
Thats all you can do , really . .
Something else will turn up for you . . hopefully soon.
all the best with it.