Advice on Jazz bass series/parallel assembly

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
JimP

Advice on Jazz bass series/parallel assembly

Post by JimP » 15 Sep 2018, 10:13

Hu guys.

I recently got a set of Bill Lawrence J45 noise free pickups for my 62 AVRI Jazz. I'm taking the opportunity to change my setup from the 62's stacked VTVT to a 3 knob VVT with a series/parallel switch or push/pull pot. I'm not clever enough to do this myself so I'm looking at getting a pre-wired assembly and swapping the control plates over. Searching online I found Rothstein Guitars in the US http://www.guitar-mod.com/mm5/merchant. ... _Code=J100
Then I thought surely there must be local electronics gurus who make these. Any thoughts/advice?

Cheers, Jim
Fender 62 AVRI Jazz, Ampeg V4B, Ampeg SVT 212

vin-tone

Re: Advice on Jazz bass series/parallel assembly

Post by vin-tone » 16 Sep 2018, 13:04

Seymour Duncan has a great collection of wiring diagrams. eg..

Warwick SS2, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

bassbass

Post by bassbass » 16 Sep 2018, 16:46

Any reputable tech can do this. Bread and butter work...

Even if you buy a replacement to install yourself, you'll still have to solder the pickup leads.

FWIW with a jazz, I'd recommend linear pots for the two volumes because they are easier to tweak for pickup blend. And also, if you do buy a prewired circuit, don't buy in to the high-voltage-caps-sound-better thing. It's pretty much nonsense. Switchcraft jacks are good quality and I'd strongly recommend these. As for pot brands, really any pot, even cheapies will last a good long time if soldered correctly.
robkiddmusic.com
fb/robkiddmusicofficial

JimP

Post by JimP » 16 Sep 2018, 16:52

Thanks man, I did come across that diagram but my soldering skills are woeful! Hence hoping to find one pre-assembled by someone with the skills and knowhow. Or did you mean to take a wiring diagram to a local tech guy?

The Rothstein site I linked to also has different options for pots and capacitors. Don't know how much difference they would make... maybe very little... maybe a lot! I just have no idea :lol:

JimP

Post by JimP » 16 Sep 2018, 16:56

Bassbass you answered my question faster than i could type :lol: That's good info, thanks. What about 250 vs 500 value pots?

bassbass

Post by bassbass » 16 Sep 2018, 19:16

Ha. Musta been typing at the same time...

Yeah 500k pots will give you just a hair more brightness. If you use them I'd definitely use linear (B) tapers for vol. (use audio taper for tone though.

The difference is pretty subtle. If you use flat wounds or don't have a tweeter in your cab you won't hear any difference.

If you do like bright tones you may want to use a no-load tone pot. It switches out of the circuit when maxed. I even invented a no-load volume pot a while back...
robkiddmusic.com
fb/robkiddmusicofficial

JimP

Post by JimP » 16 Sep 2018, 20:56

Thanks Rob, your advice is invaluable. My son bought a Les Paul with no-load tone pots so I've come across them before. I do play with flats (old Chromes) and love the feel and thump enough to not want to change from flats, but my tone is just a little bit too dark as it is. You don't think no-load 500k pots would make any difference? (I realise a passive tone pot can't add in frequencies a string doesn't produce... I'm trying out different strings too)
Thanks again :)

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 16 Sep 2018, 21:19

Try taping a strip of mild steel (at least 1mm thick) to the back of the pickup - is the fastest reversible way to see what your pickup sounds like with more mid.
I have a Greco HiPower-style pup with that on semi-permanently - gives it just enough extra bite.
I see..............basses!

JimP

Post by JimP » 16 Sep 2018, 21:51

noplanb wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 21:19
Try taping a strip of mild steel (at least 1mm thick) to the back of the pickup - is the fastest reversible way to see what your pickup sounds like with more mid.
I have a Greco HiPower-style pup with that on semi-permanently - gives it just enough extra bite.
Now that's a hack I would never have even dreamed of! Thanks man, I'll bear that one in mind :)