Couple of hours working on this one today.
1) Fit back plate (required minor sanding);
2) installed press-in threaded inserts to fix the back plate;
3) drilled 10 mm hole for the vol/bal pot;
4) removed about 3 mm of thickness around said hole inside the control cavity - and there was still plenty left so I might have to be a little less paranoid;
5) removed about 1.5 mm from the back plate opposite the 10 mm hole;
6) and the pot now fits quite nicely;
7) drilled 4 7 mm holes for the remaining pots.
Really happy I'll be able to use the Noll after all - sorry, Matt.
Cut slot for the nut while the board was still flat - much easier to get a flat bottom that way; sanded ebony nut blank to thickness; radiuses the board (ebony is amazingly easy to work with, by the way); used the Shinto rasps to take about 5 mm of thickness off the headstock; and am about a quarter done with shaping the neck.
The "invisible markers" work exactly as I expected:
Of course I'll also install Luminlay dots in the right spots.
Didn't work on any of the other basses because I'm missing a couple of things I need to progress confidently (I'd rather not screw up anything).
Might be able to finish the neck tomorrow.