WTB - cab freq range down to 30hz

Forum rules
Before you post on this forum read the Forum Rules in the first stickied thread. Failure to do so can result in your threads or posts to be deleted without notice.

Bumping Etiquette: You can bump your sale thread only once every 3 days. You may however add additional information to your thread or keep a discussion going when you wish.

Classifieds are now a "Supporting Member" only section. This means threads can now only be started by Supporting Members. To become a supporting member click on Paypal Donate button at the bottom of this page.

WARNING: Ozbassforum.com and its staff take no responsibilites whatsoever for any transactions that occur in this forum. Use at your own risk.
noplanb

Re: WTB - cab freq range down to 30hz

Post by noplanb » 23 Feb 2018, 08:33

Sometimes you hear comments that 18s (and even 15s) aren't as 'quick' as 10s or 12s - they don't quite have the same immediacy in transient response. Its easy to say less 'punchy' but I think its an overused word with diffuse meaning depending on what the hearer is trying to express....
Our ears/brain can also interpret loss of low treble as loss of 'punch'
Did you find much different in that regard?
I see..............basses!

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 23 Feb 2018, 08:42

Yeah I was joking, the pic appears sideways on my screen :)
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Soong

Post by Soong » 23 Feb 2018, 09:27

Apparently, my Phil Jones cab goes down to 25hz...http://philjonesbass.com/product/compact-8/
Keep in touch with me online!
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 23 Feb 2018, 12:33

noplanb wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 08:33
Sometimes you hear comments that 18s (and even 15s) aren't as 'quick' as 10s or 12s - they don't quite have the same immediacy in transient response. Its easy to say less 'punchy' but I think its an overused word with diffuse meaning depending on what the hearer is trying to express....
It’s definitely more John Paul Jones “ramble on” than Billy Sheehan pretty much anything.

But that p has thomastik flats with al2 pickups so that’s no great surprise.

Imaidan

Post by Imaidan » 23 Feb 2018, 12:48

Soong wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 09:27
Apparently, my Phil Jones cab goes down to 25hz...http://philjonesbass.com/product/compact-8/
Without spec's (-3db? -10db?) it's pretty hard to interpret what 25hz-15khz really means. I really like Phil Jones designs and I trust they're great cabs but I wish builders published more detailed and uniform stats :eyebrow:
noplanb wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 08:33
Side note: I was reading the barefaced tech blog last week and was reminded of some basic physics in relation to speakers. Since f=ma, large drivers (more mass) only lose transient response (acceleration) if the voice coil is underpowered (force). AFAIK modern speakers designs, plus Neo voice coils have solved most of these problems.
F bass BN5 (Ash/Maple), '98 Ken Smith Burner 5, Godin A5 Ultra fretless, '77 Greco P w flats, '83 Maton JB-IV fretless, USA parts Jazz, Spector Rebop 5
Puma 500, Epifani 902c
fEARful 12/6, Epifani UL1 210
Zoom B3, Copilot Cubic, EBS WahOne.

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 25 Feb 2018, 19:59

have solved most of these problems
Is possible, which is why I wondered if there was much discernible difference to the ear. Even modern designs will have variances in web and surround stiffness, which in fact should be apparent in the T/S params, erm, I'd like to know what to look for (without working it out from principles) if anyone knows?
Note that there still are a wide range of T/S params encountered for bass drivers, meaning some of them may well have too stiff mountings for their 'magnetic motor'. But then again, specs should show....
I see..............basses!