Any Markbass Evo 1 users/opinions?

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
Jass

Any Markbass Evo 1 users/opinions?

Post by Jass » 07 Jan 2018, 20:04

I have been trawling the web for info on this dual channel Markbass amp, and while what I am reading has left me very interested I was wondering if anyone here uses or has tried one. Why am I interested? Lately I have been thinking of going down the road of bass amp and small guitar combo to blend clean and distorted sound, the Markbass blurb says this amp is for people who want to do that. How are the effects that you can load into each channel?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

slowlearner

Re: Any Markbass Evo 1 users/opinions?

Post by slowlearner » 08 Jan 2018, 09:55

I've watched this demo a while back...

I don't think there are any "effects" to speak off beyond the amp emulators and reverb.

There are however, 2 effects loops. Ie. one for each channel.

BTW, this 'split' sound/channels thing is not really new. The guy who has been doing longer than anyone else is Billy Sheehan (Steve Via/Mr Big/Tallis). Here's his drive pedal. It's pretty good and a fair bit cheaper.

BTW, this clip is worth watching just to see Billy shred! :thumbup:
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

Jass

Post by Jass » 08 Jan 2018, 10:18

I downloaded the pc software for it and each channel has an effects list that includes a compressor, delay, reverb, envelope and a couple of others. A limitation I can see is that the effect parameters can only be adjusted if the amp is connected to the computer. The effect control on the head is only a 'how much overall effect which may lead to problems when playing live.

I will check out the Billy Sheehan video when I get home, I have watched the first one but like all the other videos it doesn't show the extra effects, just the mixing of the channels.

Heath

Post by Heath » 09 Jan 2018, 18:22

ive fiddled with one in store a few times and without knowing what any of the controls/presets are/do i found that its an amp thats very hard to find a sound thats not usable, been contemplating selling the momark and getting one of these myself.

the only thing is that they're kindy pricey for a markbass that isnt itallian made and the store floor stock one i played the case lid wasnt square to the rest of the chassis, which is a little concerning
Cole Clarke LL5, Yamaha 425x, Warwick Corvette5, Fender CS 57P, Musicman Sabre, Sandberg Ida
Amps: Markbass, Epifani, Tc, Bergantino

http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band

Jass

Post by Jass » 09 Jan 2018, 20:48

Thanks for your the shop floor review Heath. I like the way you say that it's hard to make the amp sound bad. I think that unless you connect to the pc/mac software you won't get the best from what this amp can do.

Slowlearner, the shred is strong in Billy and I like the pedal. I should say, and my OP was a lttle misleading, that its not only distortion/fuzz I want to blend, but all types of effects, envelopes, synth etc etc so I envisage effects/multi's in each of the effects loops of the Markbass head. I have mucked around with the concept since the mid 90's with a bass and guitar combo, and even a few years ago when I was running a pre/power amp set up. I have had mixed results and never been in a band situation where it was usable. Current band has only one young guitarist with limited experience, but i chose him because he was keen as and if we don't encourage and mentor the younger generation then what we know is a great thing to do will die out. Anyway, due to his inexperience I find myself, quite willingly I might add, filling the role of rhythm guitar while still playing bass so the two channel, or two amp setup finally seems like it will be utilised.

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 09 Jan 2018, 21:01

slowlearner wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 09:55

BTW, this 'split' sound/channels thing is not really new. The guy who has been doing longer than anyone else is Billy Sheehan (Steve Via/Mr Big/Tallis). Here's his drive pedal. It's pretty good and a fair bit cheaper.

I thought John Entwistle had been doing it longer and did Chris Squire do it too. I thought he used the 'stereo' outs from his Ric to drive an overdriven and clean amp?
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 09 Jan 2018, 21:29

Right you are, my bad. But lately, Billy is good example.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 09 Jan 2018, 22:19

Billy is a great example and I like what I'm hearing with that pedal.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au