Clean Bass Preamp recommendations

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
FunkyJase

Re: Clean Bass Preamp recommendations

Post by FunkyJase » 30 Jan 2018, 11:18

Ive had the MXR M81 for long enough to use it in different environments now and so far - I love it!

The sweepable mid frequency is perfect for making sure you're heard no matter what stage you're on...
I have a regular gig in Rye (Melbourne) where the stage is quite hollow so my bass sound tends to suffer drastically. Added the M81 to my board and now I have further control beyond what my amp is capable of (MB500).
Also played at a festival on Sunday (in 40 degree heat! Got heatstroke and everything) and the amp was an old Ampeg SVT all tube head and 410 cab. I dont really dig the Ampeg sound usually but added the M81 and was in bliss (or maybe that was the heatstroke)

Can highly recommend the M81. Also being the size of a normal pedal with a good D.I. output makes it a win...
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

Sandberg VS4, 57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, AG TH500, Bassman 115 Pro, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 04 Feb 2018, 10:45

I thought I would update this. I finally got around to playing with my settings on the B3 with my gear and found it was really that I needed some straightfwd eq'ing instead of amp patches. So I'm using the eq patch on the B3 and I'm moving in the right direction.

Justin-

Post by Justin- » 04 Feb 2018, 18:28

ozrider wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 10:45
I thought I would update this. I finally got around to playing with my settings on the B3 with my gear and found it was really that I needed some straightfwd eq'ing instead of amp patches. So I'm using the eq patch on the B3 and I'm moving in the right direction.
How do you find the B3? Are the looper and rythym patterns/patches ok?

Im tossing up between the B3 or the B3n...but not sure on which one to get.

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 04 Feb 2018, 22:20

Justin- wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 18:28
ozrider wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 10:45
How do you find the B3? Are the looper and rythym patterns/patches ok?

Im tossing up between the B3 or the B3n...but not sure on which one to get.
I don't use those functions so I can't comment. I tend to use it pretty sparingly for compression, tuner, autowah and now for the passive BB I'm using the EQ patch. I'm just a little lazy. In the past I've used a phaser effect, and a synth effect but they have been a combination of patches. The recipes I found on the Talkbass thread on the B3. Solid easy to use. Not for the perfectionist golden ears type but I reckon it is all you need for gigging