drbass wrote:
14 May 2018, 11:19
basshack wrote:
13 May 2018, 21:57
I'm not looking....
And yet here you are, Blaine ... ;)

Regards,
Michael
And yes I need to find a nice top for the new build.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

drbass

Re: Future Builds - Kinda Not Random

Post by drbass » 14 May 2018, 20:31

Can't think of too many other things representing so much money in such small packages - printer ink, maybe? But (at least in my opinion) worth every cent: Delano pickups.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 14 May 2018, 21:04

I can think of one other. A Phil Jones BigHead :p

Yep, the Delano pickups are truly wonderful. Nice selection you have there :cool:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

drbass

Post by drbass » 17 May 2018, 17:08

Had a little bit of time today.

Routed the battery compartment for the Special Q" - no pic, sorry.

Catch-up from the other day: the "top sandwich" for the neck-through Kermit being glued up:

Glued up real nice with the Westsystem epoxy. Using the slow hardener (206) you get this really nice low viscosity fluid that spreads beautifully and fills any voids (and soaked into the veneer sheet - stabilisation!!).

Machined the in-body section of the neck down to 27 mm - here's where the pickups will be located (please note the walnut wings are 28 mm thick):

They're big pickups (EMG-style) sitting in the Ken Smith spots (adjusted for 35"). Correction: they're sitting in the actual spots for a 34", correct locations will be 22 (neck) and 24 (bridge) mm closer to the bridge - sorry!

And here's the glueing setup for the fretboard. Using Selley's araldite (much higher viscosity here), nice and even squeeze-out:

That'll be cured tomorrow. Can't make it to the workshop unfortunately and not sure about the weather (remember, open air workspace), plus I have gigs Fri and Sat so there mightn't be much more this week.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

drbass

Post by drbass » 20 May 2018, 21:11

Some progress.

Neck fitted and final width for the Special Q, and I started carving as well (can't see it in the pic). Colour is way off - sorry, looks much nicer in real life.

For the neck-through Kermit the board's on and cut to length, and I've measured (several times) and marked the bits that need to go (will be sawed next week) both on the neck and the top sandwich.

That's it. There'll be a lot more happening in the next 4 - 6 weeks so stay tuned.

Regards,
Michael

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 21 May 2018, 08:15

Looks so good Michael. What's the thickness of the top wood on this one? Just curious for future potential purchases.
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

drbass

Post by drbass » 21 May 2018, 08:19

Classic5 wrote:
21 May 2018, 08:15
Looks so good Michael. What's the thickness of the top wood on this one? Just curious for future potential purchases.
Thank you, Ivan,

As I said the light was dreadful, couldn't even get close to a proper white balance and colour reproduction in post-processing. It looks much (a lot) better in real life, and I can't wait to see this with the finish applied.

This particular top was just over 7 mm - I guess it'd be about 5.5 - 6 now (thicknessing, sanding).

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 25 May 2018, 19:13

Couple of hours in the workshop today half of which was talking to Blaine and Pete - time well spent!!

Bandsaw and finisher had a good workout today but I did a fair bit of work once I got home - the weather was perfect and it's fun carving a neck in the sun.

Special Q first. Made the pickups fit (the routing always leaves a somewhat too large radius in the corners) and received the bridge today as well so here's a little dress pic:

And a close-up:

You notice the little notch where the jack's going - doing this one conservative. And of course the spalt will be a lot more spectacular with the finish (this one will be nitro), very excited to see what it'll look like.

Headstock approaching the final shape:

Needs a fair bit more work. Started carving this neck but very early stages. It'll be a little rounder than the one for the Kermit neck-through.
All up good progress, couple more holes to drill and then this one can get finished.

A lot has happened with the neck-through kermit neck. It was a very heavy block of timber earlier today but has morphed into a beautiful butterfly - well, not quite but it lost a lot of weight and is much more shapely.

Headstock close-up, not quite the final shape but close:

And here's a somewhat oblique view:

In hindsight I should have added the single layer of black veneer - I though that most of the headstock edges would be wenge. Oh well, that'll teach me. Once the finish goes on it'll look just fine.

There'll be a lot more carving once the body wings are on, I like a smooth transition (somewhat necessitated by my extensive rounding over) rather than that "cliff" you normally get with a neck-through - no idea why it's done like that, access to the high frets can be made a lot easier.

And here's the top:

This will require very careful shaping of the cutout so it fits perfectly along the neck. I foresee issues since the neck is tapered but I'll give it a good go before contemplating Option B (not sure what that could be).

That's enough for today, I might be able to do a fair bit of neck carving tomorrow but not sure yet.

Regards,
Michael

packrat

Post by packrat » 25 May 2018, 19:23

Magnificent fingerboard on the Kermit.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 25 May 2018, 20:27

Love it it all, in particular the PM pickup combination and the Kermit neck :cool:

drbass

Post by drbass » 26 May 2018, 19:01

I can't believe how much I've missed sanding - said no-one ever. And yet, it has to be done.

Special Q neck is almost done. 21 mm (1st) to 24 mm (12th), a little rounder but need to scrape a little more off to get rid of slight shoulders.

Fretboard edges rolled, feels like it's been played for 20-odd years. Very nice!

Little hiccup with the neck-through. Marked and drilled the dowel holes, perfect.

But: the edge of the neck connecting to the upper body wing wasn't quite square. Will have to fix it in the workshop next week, can't afford to have gaps full of glue.

But but: the top has been fitted, and it only took about 2 hours. Problem as already mentioned is the taper of the neck (will do this differently for the next neck-through) so it's not a gapless fit but all things considered I'm happy with 0.1 - 0.2 mm.

Happy with all this. The quilted maple top needs a lot of sanding, will have to do that before it goes on. Might be able to get the Special Q neck to fretting stage by end of next week. Anyway ...

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 31 May 2018, 17:39

This quilted maple top will be the perfect supporting timber for the rather busy wenge fretboard:

Requires more sanding (if you look carefully there are some dark - i.e. deeper - spots just right of the centre line) but I'll try to get this as far as possible before glueing it on - there will be a neck in the way ;) .

Regards,
Michael

slashin_velvet

Post by slashin_velvet » 01 Jun 2018, 10:59

Fantastic as always Michael.

drbass

Post by drbass » 01 Jun 2018, 16:33

Thanks, Davin,

Lucky to be around and learning from the best.

Good day today.
Special Q:
Neck is soooo close. Worked on the headstock (levelled and access hole for truss rod) and "tempered" the shoulders that were just a little too prominent all along the neck. Also re-shaped the volute (OK, I'll call it that but it's really just a little bump, somewhat Warwick Thumb-like). Still need to sand 180 and 240, and of course need to position and drill the holes for the tuners. Also need to cut the slot for the string guide just behind the zero fret.

Nice day, very little wind so I did the control cavity with nickel spray.
Before:

first application:

finished:

This is just so neat and easy to do.

NT Kermit:
The big body wing glue-up. As already mentioned the neck core was not quite square. I probably would have spent an hour or so, and I really didn't trust myself using the linisher for this so David did it in a couple of minutes.
I needed the big boys setup with the sash clamps today so Rob helped me set everything up. Lots of clamps, and the very viscous araldite to glee everything together:

Pickup tomorrow, and then I can glue the top on which is now sanded to 240 and almost ready to go on:

That was a lot of hand sanding. I didn't really trust the drum sander in the workshop with this piece - some of the material had torn out previously so somewhere between 2 and 3 hours of 120, wet, 120, wet, 120, 180, wet, 180, wet, 240, wet. You get the idea. It's now drying overnight for a final 240 rub-down.

Lots of fun, amazingly beautiful day.

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 02 Jun 2018, 16:27

Near-perfect glueing of the wings to the neck-through core. When I picked up the bits earlier today Rob was beaming :) .

A little bit of scraping and the top sandwich is ready to go on. Band-sawed to a very rough final shape. Hope I measured right for the centre line of the bridge pickup rout ... .

Should be able to start the shaping tomorrow.

Regards,
Michael