2 band MM preamp

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
Slapfest62

Re: 2 band MM preamp

Post by Slapfest62 » 08 Oct 2016, 10:42

I dont know where you got the impression that I had a broken '76 pre . . I have never said anything even remotely like that.

yes, there's los of information available now. . .
As I said, in 1986 , there was NO information and no basses available, only 2nd hand ones.
All I (or anyone, at the time ) knew, was that if your preamp died, and had epoxy coating , there was nothing to be done . . nothing.
I was not aware of the electronic differences between the 2,
all I knew was that basses do come and go, and I was definitely keeping the '76.
I thought this tech knew what he was doing, so I trusted him to make a schematic, so that if my '76 pre died, I could get something made that would work in the bass as it should, rather than being left stranded . . .
You have to appreciate, the ignorance here in Australia of the finer details of the Stingray circuitry we all know now today.
For example, many years later (still pre-internet_,. I took the '76 to the Bass Player and asked about the various differences in the '76 from other Stingrays around . . e/.g. the knobs werent the usual knurled silver ones, mthey were black plastic with a silver top (I think).
There were other obvious differences (someone had hand chiseled the bottom of the control cavity to accomodate the premp, sitting on the back of the pots . (obviously the first few had not been routed deep enough for the depth required ) , things like that.
Guys at the Bass Player told me the knobs were "after market"
Thesedays, of course , the yanks call them "radio knob" Stingrays, and are the most highly sought after . . (after market, my arse!).
So I just did it as an insurance policy for my other bass, should it die.
Look, I am not going to sit here and justify doing what I thought was a helpful thing to do.
You know circuitry, and thats great for everyone that I handed it to, that you have sorted this out as being an incorrect drawing, saving them a good deal of heartache.
I did it with the best of intentions to help everyone else,. . . .
I was not to know of the errors (why would I carry it round for 30 years?)
So I apologise once again.
I'll just bow out now, before bassbass rips apart aevery word I say again.
One thing I do know, and thats what my ears tell me.. . . but thats just me. . .
If you want to believe that all Stingray preamps are the same , thats great. . .
I certainly respect your right to believe whtever you want .
Its difficult to argue over whats hidden behind epoxy, I reckon (but no doubt thats wrong as well, eh?)
and I dont know electronics at all, so I cant even enter that conversation.

And sorry guys, for the misinformation, it was done with the best of intentions.
I was just trying to help.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 08 Oct 2016, 13:44

All good slapfest. This is a safe space mate. Thanks for trying to help us out as best you could. :)
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

bassbass

Post by bassbass » 10 Oct 2016, 10:17

in 1986 , there was NO information and no basses available
I doubt I'm much younger than you. I was into electronics by then, and playing bass by the late 80's.
before bassbass rips apart aevery word I say again.
Ha. Sure. :D Hardly personal though....

If you look at that page again, the 76 clearly had a different treble control. Does yours have two wires or three? That cap on the pot is the treble cut cap. Perhaps the original was only going to be boost, and Leo had second thoughts. Who knows. But that's probably a big part of why the 76 sounds different. Again, I thought your mate had stripped one of the other epoxied pres, it turned out to be the same as the unepoxied, and was trying to help explain what you were and your bandmates were hearing.
I did it with the best of intentions to help everyone else,. . . .
Seriously man, I can't imagine anyone would hold some kind of grudge for this. And if they did, well that's their problem for not reading your posts. You didn't copy the circuit, and clearly meant to help. And hey we (electronics guys, that is) all screw stuff up. I've got right through to prototyping on quite a few occasions before finding mistakes in the original design. A couple of years ago, I designed a three band pre, then its circuit board, with board-mounted pots. Then I drilled the case, loaded up and soldered the board, started wiring everthing. Suddenly I realized I had designed it left to right- treb, mid, bass. It sould have been the other way around... :banghead:
PROJECT BEROCCA (On YT)
fb/robkiddmusicofficial
robkiddmusic.com

Slapfest62

Post by Slapfest62 » 10 Oct 2016, 22:07

", I thought your mate had stripped one of the other epoxied pres, it turned out to be the same as the unepoxied, and was trying to help explain what you were and your bandmates were hearing."[/b]

"well that's their problem for not reading your posts. . . "

I WISH I had a broken epoxy pre , but I didnt ever say that. . . would be good to find out whats under them, though.
I think I've explained it all pretty clearly, but I see where you're coming from, I guess

"I doubt I'm much younger than you. I was into electronics by then, and playing bass by the late 80's."

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, but I maintain, that the lack of knowledge about the differences in the preamps and pickups was unkown then, by most people, anyway . . . however, as you asked, I started playing professionally in 1978
I've said all I'm going to say on this, and I respect your knowledge, and your right to believe what you want. . . but untill someone can show me that the epoxy preamps were the same as the non-epoxy, then I believe otherwise, (and I'm not the only one, if you check the market on the '76 Stingray, if you can find one , . . . the prices are outrageous) . . . . i got $5000 for B001013, back in 2002. . (silly mistake)
I dont know why they would be so expensive , if people did not believe (and its not just me) that there is a difference.. . . ok, the original pickup was different as well . . so maybe that has something to do with it.
But I'm no expert. I just know what I hear.
Bassbass, thank you for sorting my incorrect schematic out for those guys.
have a good one.

BassDude

Post by BassDude » 08 Jun 2017, 14:13

I've been building these preamps for years and I think the 76 version was still the prototype stage. Leo was giving the bass to various musicians for feedback. From the feedback he made the revision. I highly doubt the 76 version is the holy grail or they would have kept it. The '77 Stingray I owned sounded great and it had the cheap ceramics and tants covered in epoxy. I modernized the build with modern opamps and high quality components and the sound is killer.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 13 Sep 2019, 15:54

Can anyone tell me if the H and HH stingrays have different preamps? Or just the switching options running into the single pickup input of the preamp?
Strings: Fender, Narcdor, Framus, MusicMan
Knobs: Aguilar, MarkBass
Cones: Barefaced, Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 14 Sep 2019, 08:38

narcdor wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 15:54
Can anyone tell me if the H and HH stingrays have different preamps? Or just the switching options running into the single pickup input of the preamp?
The series/single/parallel switch is before the preamp and isn't part of the preamp. They do use different pres, on different models, so can't comment on which one they use, but it isn't dependant on the switch.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 14 Sep 2019, 09:50

Ok cool, I guess what I want to know being more direct (why I didn’t before I don’t know) is can I wire up a nordstrand 2 band MM preamp designed for a single pickup to a stingray HH or is that going to present problems? Apart from the side jack being superfluous.

drbass

Post by drbass » 14 Sep 2019, 10:51

narcdor wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 09:50
Ok cool, I guess what I want to know being more direct (why I didn’t before I don’t know) is can I wire up a nordstrand 2 band MM preamp designed for a single pickup to a stingray HH or is that going to present problems? Apart from the side jack being superfluous.
I’ve been using “single pickup” pre-amps (Nordstrand 3b-3, to be exact) with single and double pickup basses. I normally use a 3 way mini switch (neck/both/bridge) before going to the vol pot, or the nifty Dingwall 4 way rotary (neck/both series/both parallel bridge). I have two of those that were superfluous after a couple of re-specced commission builds.

I also have a few blend pots (taken from Glockenklang pre-amps) if you prefer that.

Regards,
Michael
Stuff ...

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 15 Sep 2019, 08:54

narcdor wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 09:50
Yes. No problem at all. You end up with the same hot and ground wires from the switch, that connect to the preamp. The switching happens before the preamp. Having said that, I just remembered that you may need to replace the switch as well. I think my Stingray5 had the pickup wires connected to the circuit board. Ultimately doing the same thing, but easier to replace the switch, than unsolder the extra wires.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 15 Sep 2019, 09:08

Cool, thanks brains trust. I’ll see how I get on with the three band but have a plan if it doesn’t gel. So much easier than trying to find a two band stingray anyway even with all the fussing.