Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
Classic5

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Classic5 » 20 Jun 2018, 19:43

maxgroover wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 16:40
Classic5 wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 16:10
I only started watching last night. Happy that Japan won only because Colombia really seemed to be hamming it up at any opportunity to extract a free kick. That's what it looked like to me anyway, maybe that's just part of the game and they all do it :shrug:
Totally agree. I don't think the free kick that lead to the Colombian goal should have been a free kick. Or if it was, it should have been given to Japan instead.

The diving is ridiculous and simply an attempt at cheating. Surely they can use the video review technology to review a match and ban players from the next match for excessive diving / acting :shrug: Wouldn't that help stop it if you risked missing the next match, especially as the tournament gets to the pointy end?
Totally agree. I'm sure the technology is available. It just seems so shameful to be pretending to be hurt just so you can gain some advantage from your lie.
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

stonecoldbass

Post by stonecoldbass » 20 Jun 2018, 21:59

With regards to all the rolling around in agony after a wee trip, I agree it’s annoying and silly. However, 99% time this does not affect the referees decision as that is made the split second the incident occurs.
I for one love the World Cup, it’s interesting being Scottish/European and experiencing it from this part of the world however. I don’t understand Australians supporting other countries than their own? I didn’t think you got a choice in the matter.... ;)
http://www.craigstrainmusic.com
http://www.basslessonsmelbourne.com
F Bass VF5 70's Ash/Maple
Iceni Zoot Classic J Funkmeister Custom 5 string
Greco 70's P bass
80's Ibanez Musician
Tecamp Puma 900
Epifani UL2 410

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 20 Jun 2018, 22:08

Multiculturalism in action!
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 21 Jun 2018, 02:43

stonecoldbass wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 21:59
it’s interesting being Scottish/European and experiencing it from this part of the world however. I don’t understand Australians supporting other countries than their own? I didn’t think you got a choice in the matter.... ;)
I have friends from India that support Aus and India cricket teams. When it's Aus vs India the Father supports India and the son Australia. They even wear them the respective shirts to the sports ground.

A mate in Melbourne for AFL supports Carlton and any team playing against Collingwood.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

drbass

Post by drbass » 21 Jun 2018, 07:47

Re diving.

I played football in Germany from the mid 70s to the late 80s up to a level where I got paid. Diving was part of the game then, and it is now. Some do it more theatrically than others, and players have received yellow cards for diving.

While it is an issue at the same time it isn’t simply because it is part of the “culture”. Looks bad to those only vaguely familiar with the game, but “move along, nothing to see here”, really.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

drbass

Post by drbass » 21 Jun 2018, 07:49

stonecoldbass wrote:
I don’t understand Australians supporting other countries than their own? I didn’t think you got a choice in the matter.... ;)
Maybe not everyone living in Australia is Australian ... .

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 21 Jun 2018, 09:06

Aussie Mark wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 14:44
The diving is appalling. Why can't these multi million dollar players just play the game and not worry about the theatrics. Ruins what could be a decent sport if done right. Maybe making the goals bigger would help, or cut it back to 9 players per side?
Most purists of the game are also appalled by the diving. It REALLY cheapens the whole thing and introduces a farcical element to an otherwise, highly skilled game.

I lost all respect for France after that abysmal acting job that their players (particularly Hernandez) pulled off during round 1 against Australia.

Last night, there was a bit of theatrics, as well, in the Portugal v Morocco match. A Moroccan player tapped Pepe of Portugal on the shoulder to say something to him, and Pepe dropped like a sack of wet gym socks and started complaining to the Moroccan player ... unbelievable!

The goals are actually quite large, when you stand in front of them. Maybe they need smaller gaol keepers. :D
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 21 Jun 2018, 09:08

drbass wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 07:49
stonecoldbass wrote:
I don’t understand Australians supporting other countries than their own? I didn’t think you got a choice in the matter.... ;)

Regards,
Michael
8| ... I never considered that ... :cool:

I think it's fine to have some 2nd favourite teams, because they may have players that play for your favourite club team, and that's fine... but, when push comes to shove, I think we should be rallying around the Socceroos, definitely!
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 21 Jun 2018, 09:09

PilbaraBass wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 09:06
Aussie Mark wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 14:44
The diving is appalling. Why can't these multi million dollar players just play the game and not worry about the theatrics. Ruins what could be a decent sport if done right. Maybe making the goals bigger would help, or cut it back to 9 players per side?
Most purists of the game are also appalled by the diving. It REALLY cheapens the whole thing and introduces a farcical element to an otherwise, highly skilled game.

I lost all respect for France after that abysmal acting job that their players (particularly Hernandez) pulled off during round 1 against Australia.

Last night, there was a bit of theatrics, as well, in the Portugal v Morocco match. A Moroccan player tapped Pepe of Portugal on the shoulder to say something to him, and Pepe dropped like a sack of wet gym socks and started complaining to the Moroccan player ... unbelievable!

The goals are actually quite large, when you stand in front of them. Maybe they need smaller goal keepers. :D

stonecoldbass

Post by stonecoldbass » 21 Jun 2018, 11:11

drbass wrote:
stonecoldbass wrote:

Regards,
Michael
Of course, but I think if you identify as Australian then you should support your athletes on the world stage, not just go for one of the top teams. Don't get me wrong, if Scotland ever manage to qualify for another world cup I'll be cheering on the boys in blue!!
http://www.craigstrainmusic.com
http://www.basslessonsmelbourne.com
F Bass VF5 70's Ash/Maple
Iceni Zoot Classic J Funkmeister Custom 5 string
Greco 70's P bass
80's Ibanez Musician
Tecamp Puma 900
Epifani UL2 410

packrat

Post by packrat » 21 Jun 2018, 11:44

stonecoldbass wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 11:11

Of course, but I think if you identify as Australian then you should support your athletes on the world stage, not just go for one of the top teams. Don't get me wrong, if Scotland ever manage to qualify for another world cup I'll be cheering on the boys in blue!!
That sort of nationalism is unhelpful.

If you identify as Australian, the only real legal requirements are to have some interest in sport, be polite when people from the subcontinent who work in non-cricket countries desperately want to talk about cricket with you, deplore the ridiculous game or games played in Qld and NSW whatever its name is, and if you live in either Melbourne or Sydney, affect a dislike of the other one.

Oh, and if you're in Perth it's legally required to say "It's a dry heat" to visitors.

B>

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 21 Jun 2018, 12:35

maxgroover wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 16:40
Surely they can use the video review technology to review a match and ban players from the next match for excessive diving / acting :shrug: Wouldn't that help stop it if you risked missing the next match, especially as the tournament gets to the pointy end?

Red card the next diver and I bet they will all stop diving
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Fredbass

Post by Fredbass » 21 Jun 2018, 16:03

stonecoldbass wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 11:11
drbass wrote:
stonecoldbass wrote:

Regards,
Michael
I was born in Brazil. Came to Australia 9 years ago! Love everything about this place but will not support the Socceroos if they play Brazil. I am sure my kids will.
Could you please send me some detailed pics?

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 21 Jun 2018, 16:14

drbass wrote:
stonecoldbass wrote:

Regards,
Michael
Well, the English and Italian migrants that I know always support their country of origin. Greeks not so much coz their soccer team is USUALLY rubbish hehe. Their kids are like all kids, they'll support whoever has the greatest chance lol

My parents' country of birth declare a national holiday if they DRAW a World Cup qualifier, usually against the might of Monaco or Lichtenstein :rolf:
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 22 Jun 2018, 09:15

Ok as a non-expert in soccer, I have some observations after watching last night's Australia v Denmark game:
1/ Australia can't score goals. I think I saw 1 or 2 shots on target but neither troubled the keeper.
2/ I know Tim Cahill is getting on in age, but he knows where the back of the net is. Why didn't he get on the field?
3/ France is through, and Denmark only need a draw to progress, so are we toast already?
4/ The absence of theatrics made last night's game watchable. If Australia does bow out, I'm going for Denmark because they don't appear to be divers.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546