Guitar sound with pedals

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
daves

Guitar sound with pedals

Post by daves » 10 Jun 2018, 12:09

Experienced pedal people I need your assistance. I looking to create a rhythm guitar sound to fill out bits in songs and generally muck around.

The pedal chain I think will work is

Bass-tuner-2 channel looper

Loop 1 bass tone fuzz-od-delay-DI-return to looper

Loop 2 guitar tone octave up-pitch shifter/harmoniser-dirt-return to looper

Amp

Will this do a close approximation of a guitar and bass tone through one amp? When I have access to a guitar amp I won't return to the looper and go straight to a guitar and bass amp independently.
....that crack rock steady beat.

slowlearner

Re: Guitar sound with pedals

Post by slowlearner » 10 Jun 2018, 13:21

I think I can see what you're trying to do here. I tried a similar thing with my Zoom B3 and to be honest, it just didn't work. What I have found works is a little OD and playing your bass line up an octave (ie. instead of low on the E/A strings).

In my new band I'm sort of doing what you're suggesting but with a guitar and a Boss OC-3 octave pedal.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/pbtmusic/vi ... e_internal

On the subject of extra rhythm guitars, Van Halen's second guitar was the drummer's ride cymbal. Alex Van Halen used it to fill space with the same frequencies while Eddie soloed.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

daves

Post by daves » 10 Jun 2018, 13:38

a ride you say, I will have to pay more attention.

That sucks that is it didn't work. I play in a pretty fast heavy band and my bass tone is perfect so I don't want to change that.

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 10 Jun 2018, 19:14

I use a Roland GR 55 to generate guitar tones an octave up when the guitarist solos. That's a much bigger investment though & comes with the hassle of installing the extra pickup.
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

CrayZee_Bass

Post by CrayZee_Bass » 10 Jun 2018, 22:16

I use a micro pog and split the signal. The effected signal (upper octave only) goes through a dist/OD pedal and into a tube guitar amp. The unaffected signal goes through the rest of the pedal board to the bass rig.
It sounds massive and 2 amps are quite the commitment, but it's the most "guitar like" sound I have gotten out of my bass so far.
You can lead a horse to water...........

But you can't shut the doors on a motorcycle.

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 11 Jun 2018, 15:58

I imagine a POG 2 through dirt would also be good. Gives you the flexibility to add octave up as well as the 5th to simulate power chords.

benhill1982

Post by benhill1982 » 11 Jun 2018, 17:54

blizzard wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 15:58
I imagine a POG 2 through dirt would also be good. Gives you the flexibility to add octave up as well as the 5th to simulate power chords.
+1 - POG or HOG. If you’re running dirt, a bass whammy might be enough also - tracks chords quite nicely.
Bass: Sandberg, Dingwall, Sadowsky
Rig: Ampeg SVT-VR, Bergantino NV610T, Forte, Reference 322, HD322, IP310
Studio: Pro Tools, UAD, NI, Shure, AKG, Focusrite, Sleishman, DW, Sabian, Zildjian, Moog, Fender, Marshall

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 12 Jun 2018, 09:51

The discontinued Akai Unibass is another option - you can select an upper 5th or a lower 4th to be added, and you can dial up the crunch as well for a good approximation of rhythm power chords

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 12 Jun 2018, 10:42

I had a T Rex Quint Machine for a little while it also would do the job, but I think it’s discontinued and I sold mine on already.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

daves

Post by daves » 12 Jun 2018, 21:24

Thanks guys. Yep gonna fork out the cash and buy some pedals after tax time.

slave

Post by slave » 13 Jun 2018, 21:45

daves wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 12:09
looking to create a rhythm guitar sound to fill out bits in songs and generally muck around.
I've tried to do this, whilst retaining my own bass tone, quite a few times over the years.
Which begs the question;
How much additional gear do you want to carry around for a rehearsal/gig/whatever?

My experience was that the only way to do it properly, was to use something like a Hog, Unibass or some other pedal that adds both a 5th and an octave (ie powerchord) to your signal, plugged into a guitar amp.
I would setup my Hog2, use +1 Octave up & 5th with +2 octave up and knock the original bass signal down to nothing, feed that into small pedalboard with basic guitar effects (OD, Fuzz, boost, a mod etc.) into my guitar amp & cab.
Sounded pretty good when I cared to do all that.

Point is, these days I'd rather just pick up a guitar than bother with all that.... :cool: :lol: :D
I prefer to side with the less-is-more side of the ledger these days, let the guitar player do all that stuff. If there's a drop in the overall volume of the band due to the guitar player switching from riff to solo, I tend to construct something with the drummer to fill that space, or conversely, open it up. We like to switch it up. Creating space for a guitar solo can add some real dynamics to your music. :drinkingbuddies:

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 14 Jun 2018, 10:04

This pedal is worth looking into as well. Billy Sheehan regularly does what you're trying to do...

Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 14 Jun 2018, 11:41

MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

daves

Post by daves » 15 Jun 2018, 21:34

I would love a hog but the size and COST is to prohibitive. I'm looking a getting a loopi 2 channel looper-mooer tender octave-boss PS-6 or something pitch shifter-god city brutalist Jnr.

For jam I'm planning on running it into my bass rig. I can add treble on the head if needed and counter with my preamp pedal beforehand. For shows if I ever need to I can borrow gear if needed until morr funds become available.