Whats the deal with Eden Bass amps?

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
FunkyJase

Whats the deal with Eden Bass amps?

Post by FunkyJase » 22 May 2018, 12:44

I remember years ago when I was starting out, Eden were the "go to" amps for good gear. Is it just me or has something changed that?

I was looking at a WT 550 and when I checked the reviews, they're not terribly positive. Most of the negative ones come from the home of bass negativity though but still...

Enthrall me with your acumen.. ;-)
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

Sandberg VS4, 57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, AG TH500, Bassman 115 Pro, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212

narcdor

Re: Whats the deal with Eden Bass amps?

Post by narcdor » 22 May 2018, 13:06

Fantastic solid state amp with plenty of power and a really flexible EQ section. If you can handle the fairly light for old style amp (relative of course) go for it! I’ve had a WT550 and WT800 absolutely no complaints with either. Very nice sound which has a definite colouration but one I like.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 22 May 2018, 13:38

narcdor wrote:
22 May 2018, 13:06
Fantastic solid state amp with plenty of power and a really flexible EQ section. If you can handle the fairly light for old style amp (relative of course) go for it! I’ve had a WT550 and WT800 absolutely no complaints with either. Very nice sound which has a definite colouration but one I like.
How would you characterise the colouration? Are we talking that baked in smiley face eq again?
Roy Batty

Sandberg VS4, 57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 22 May 2018, 13:58

One of the best backline rigs I've played was Eden. 1x18", 4x10" & 4x1". Rich and detailed, pleasantly coloured.

Tone: brighter than Mesa Walkabout or little more girth than Labsystems Valve heads.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 22 May 2018, 14:20

FunkyJase wrote:
22 May 2018, 13:38
narcdor wrote:
How would you characterise the colouration? Are we talking that baked in smiley face eq again?
It’s been a while, but deep lows, rich low mids, can dial in high mids if you want them, and more than enough highs to be present but not that sparkle/air that some look for. The EQ is insanely powerful. The base colour is kinda slightly dark but not muddy which leans old school sound without tipping in. Listen to some of the million YouTube videos to get a better idea of the baked in sound, I’m shit at describing this stuff.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 22 May 2018, 14:30

narcdor wrote:
22 May 2018, 14:20
FunkyJase wrote:
22 May 2018, 13:38
narcdor wrote:
It’s been a while, but deep lows, rich low mids, can dial in high mids if you want them, and more than enough highs to be present but not that sparkle/air that some look for. The EQ is insanely powerful. The base colour is kinda slightly dark but not muddy which leans old school sound without tipping in. Listen to some of the million YouTube videos to get a better idea of the baked in sound, I’m shit at describing this stuff.
Ha ha cool man cheers!
Roy Batty

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 22 May 2018, 14:30

BassLine wrote:
22 May 2018, 13:58
One of the best backline rigs I've played was Eden. 1x18", 4x10" & 4x1". Rich and detailed, pleasantly coloured.

Tone: brighter than Mesa Walkabout or little more girth than Labsystems Valve heads.
Nice!
Roy Batty

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 22 May 2018, 15:31

I played Eden for the best part of 20 years, and loved the tone. I have heard it called the ideal rig for an audiophile because of the clean crisp highs and rich lows, but it definitely isn't a scooped tone - the 410xlt is one of the most mid aggressive rock cabs going.

I think you ended up with both my 210xst cabs at one point. As a single cab solution, the 212xlt and 610xlt were my favoutries.

Eden was at it's peak when everything was coming out of Wisconsin. When it was sold to CMI there were some quality issues, and that is certainly when the hate ramped up on TB.
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 22 May 2018, 16:30

Don't let the TB hate squad influence your decision. You'll get a really awesome Eden for the money these days.

I've owned a couple of WT550s and they're rock solid. Sometimes the pots can get scratchy with age (they're stepped) but it nothing a bit of deoxit couldn't fix.

* The Enhance knob is a a scoop... just don't use it.
Warwick SS2, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 22 May 2018, 17:07

When Eden first moved production to China, there were a few initial teething problems. Also some time prior to going to China, Eden shifted camp from Montrose to Illinois; during that period a few of the models suffered some design & manufacturing hiccups (although the WT-550 wasn't one of them). So yeah, there was a few years there where their reputation for QC really took a hit, & I don't think they ever completely recovered from that. But the Amps themselves are great, & IMO the stuff coming out of China over the last few years has been rock solid.

I guess you could say the base tone of an Eden is a fairly warm sound, although the EQ section is very powerful & variable, so you could pull just about anything you want out of it. One thing the WT-550 gives you is an Amp that's fairly compact and (reasonably) lightweight, but with so much more depth & character than any of the D-class offerings I've tried to date.
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 22 May 2018, 17:48

Rocksolid wrote:
22 May 2018, 15:31
I played Eden for the best part of 20 years, and loved the tone. I have heard it called the ideal rig for an audiophile because of the clean crisp highs and rich lows, but it definitely isn't a scooped tone - the 410xlt is one of the most mid aggressive rock cabs going.

I think you ended up with both my 210xst cabs at one point. As a single cab solution, the 212xlt and 610xlt were my favoutries.

Eden was at it's peak when everything was coming out of Wisconsin. When it was sold to CMI there were some quality issues, and that is certainly when the hate ramped up on TB.
Yeah I did!
I found that one 210 sounded better than both together. The XST's more subtle mid range wasnt really to my liking. It always made me want more he he...
Roy Batty

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 22 May 2018, 17:51

Paisley wrote:
22 May 2018, 17:07
When Eden first moved production to China, there were a few initial teething problems. Also some time prior to going to China, Eden shifted camp from Montrose to Illinois; during that period a few of the models suffered some design & manufacturing hiccups (although the WT-550 wasn't one of them). So yeah, there was a few years there where their reputation for QC really took a hit, & I don't think they ever completely recovered from that. But the Amps themselves are great, & IMO the stuff coming out of China over the last few years has been rock solid.

I guess you could say the base tone of an Eden is a fairly warm sound, although the EQ section is very powerful & variable, so you could pull just about anything you want out of it. One thing the WT-550 gives you is an Amp that's fairly compact and (reasonably) lightweight, but with so much more depth & character than any of the D-class offerings I've tried to date.
Yeah the semi para EQ is a HUGE drawcard for the WT550 and so long as the amp fits in a backpack I reckon it would be manageable enough. I have a Markbass Big Bang and a GK MB500. Both very different and great amps and incredibly light. I have to double check my bag to make sure I've packed it he he...

So I didnt realise they were being made in China now - not that it matters, some of my favorite gear is Chinese made... I also read that Eden was sold to Marshall...
Roy Batty

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 22 May 2018, 18:06

Is there much tonal difference if any between a WT550 and a WT800?

sic608

Post by sic608 » 22 May 2018, 19:08

Well i have played eden rigs exclusive for many years.

Starting with an USA made wt 400. The golden child imo from the peak years. And its a weapon. I never heard another rig either in a shop or at a gig that would change my mind.

I had it paired for over the yrs starting wit a hartke 810. Then i got an eden 410xlt. Thats the tits btw. Then added a 410xst. Boom. A lot more bottom end.

Then in came a Chinese made wtx1000n. Navigator preamp with 2 wtx class d power amps 500watts each :yep And i have never had an issue with it. In fact i think it is in its own right better. The flexibility is beyond anything else i have seen out there. A weapon

From there ive added a 610xlt and recently got rocksolids 212xlt.

I dont agree with the previous statement(s) of its colouration.

I have recently started adding variety in bass types, models and brands and the eden is most definitely an amp that will make each bass sound like itself as it, imo, should be without adjusting any settings

Compared to my ampeg combo and even my darkglass m900 to a lesser extent, that i need to tweek as i swap basses to make each particular bass sound great.

I would still gig my eden over the m900 but back when i set it up it became my big rig inside a 10unit road case with all the trimmings.

I guess you would call it my serious rig.

But these days for the boring old pub classic gigs i play nowadays the size weight and along with the od in the m900 alas it gets the work out but along with my eden 610
Einstein was onced asked, "How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?" To which he repiled, "I dont know, you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla"

jimmy_effected

Post by jimmy_effected » 22 May 2018, 19:15

Just to give a little nod back the other way - I've owned Eden's a few times over the years, and agree that the tone is naturally quite warm and...musical sounding, is how I'd put it. Very versatile.

However, I always felt that they overstated their specifications somewhat - the 500W-ish out of the WT550 left me wanting more and felt like it ran out of headroom before similar amps I owned with similar output specifications, even when I did the usual tricks to maximise headroom. This is in contrast to other manufacturers (eg: Genz Benz, GK) where they're renowned for under-quoting.