Would this be a good idea ?

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
RedVee

Would this be a good idea ?

Post by RedVee » 08 Apr 2018, 14:02

This was a pop up ad somewhere a few days ago. I’ve had a look, I’ve never heard of this or the guy before; and I’m not really a Country fan. But we have sung a couple and are looking at adding some Colonial type songs into the future.
I am a little frustrated at not getting to play now. This may be a way around that and I will learn something I’m sure.

Thought I’d seek the wisdom of OzBass

http://www.eaten-by-snakes.com.au/COUNT ... gLXYfD_BwE
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

BazzBass

Re: Would this be a good idea ?

Post by BazzBass » 08 Apr 2018, 14:14

RedVee wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 14:02

I am a little frustrated at not getting to play now. This may be a way around that and I will learn something I’m sure.
I think this is exactly what you need right now. Be prepared to play with some less talented players than usual and you wont be disappointed :)

sixty bucks ain't much these days so it's worth a look. Report back to us afterwards. Is it limited to specific regions?
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

packrat

Post by packrat » 08 Apr 2018, 15:24

Jebus. I think Geocities called and wants their page theme back. I sense a certain enthusiasm through the blinding neon letters, though.

B>

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 08 Apr 2018, 15:59

Yeah, that website probably screamed ‘shonky’ to me. :)

And I have no problem whether any one is any good or not. I’m swimming in the shallow end myself.

I gather he must do some different locations and I noticed that he will doing a Blues session later on.

Evidently there is a bit of a Country music seen out here. There is some sort of club, and the local community radio station plays Country mostly. I don’t know much more because it isnt really my thing. Or hasn’t been up to now anyway.

My thinking is at best I’ll enjoy myself and may meet some nice people. At worst it’s a waste of an afternoon and a few bucks. But I’ll know not to sign up again.

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 11 Apr 2018, 21:04

RedVee wrote:
This was a pop up ad somewhere a few days ago. I’ve had a look, I’ve never heard of this or the guy before; and I’m not really a Country fan. But we have sung a couple and are looking at adding some Colonial type songs into the future.

No idea if it's a good idea or not, but that website is Bob Meredith, a Sydney guitar and sax player. He's a fine player of both and a fine musician generally.

Mike
I'm a mean offloading machine!

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 13 Apr 2018, 23:30

bigswifty wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 21:04
RedVee wrote:

No idea if it's a good idea or not, but that website is Bob Meredith, a Sydney guitar and sax player. He's a fine player of both and a fine musician generally.

Mike
Thanks Mike, that’s good to know

rev matt

Post by rev matt » 16 Apr 2018, 09:34

When I wanted to get back into playing, I joined a country-esk band for a year to get my playing up to scratch again. through that, I met a drummer and eventually joined his other band playing blues. That was nearly 9 years ago and I haven't looked back.
Chances are that you may meet other players that are keen to play the same sort of music you like to play and this might be a stepping stone to something better.
Having said that, I don't think paying someone to organise it for you is the right move. Mags like drum media and some rehearsal studios and music stores often have ads for players of all grades, that might be worth looking into.
Having fun is half the fun- Warwick Corvette $$ 4- Cort acoustic 4 - no name ebay special 5 (now fretless), Kala spruce fretless Ubass, Washburn M-3SWS mandolin , Ashbory and a 2001 LTD edition Warwick Thumb Fretless 4.

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 16 Apr 2018, 11:58

Exactly. Playing with different ppl is mostly a great thing.
Due to my experiences.. I wouldn't pin any high hopes on anything tho . At least not for a while.
I've had ppl pull out on perfectly good bands. . After a good 9month's of playing together, just coz they were..... well... strange.. they made excuses that they were busy etc but really they were just weird ppl. We had gigs booked n all.
What I took from it was to NOT expect anything too much and just to go with it.
Enjoy. Learn and make contacts and friends.
Mean & Surly

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 16 Apr 2018, 18:27

@RedVee, if you're still shopping around for a jam to get out to in Western Sydney, you might care to try the one at the Carousel Inn, Rooty Hill on Thursday nights. As a disclaimer, I often fill in for the organiser, Al Britton, when he has a gig that clashes. Anyway, pretty friendly bunch, everything supplied, very cruisy, just rock up with your bass and they'll put your name on the board. The standard varies from week to week and ranges from seriously good through to .... let's just say it's a jam night anyone can feel comfortable at:) Everyone very supportive. If you want to give it a try, start time is 7:30. If you want any more details, PM me.
Mike
I'm a mean offloading machine!

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 16 Apr 2018, 20:40

Thanks all