Rant Thread !

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
tearalong

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by tearalong » 16 Jan 2018, 12:53

I found finger scanner didn't work after a long practice or gig so I switched it to my ring finger which doesn't get the same workout
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 16 Jan 2018, 12:56

how do the fingerprint readers go with calloused fingertips?

EDIT and someone answered my question as I was typing it lol
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 16 Jan 2018, 15:32

Aussie Mark wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 12:41
I've disabled the fingerprint scan on my phone, as I find a 4 digit passcode quick enough.

Pete, back on the previous topic (CPAP) - how do those masks go if you are a restless sleeper? I can't even stand wearing PJs to bed because I'd wake up feeling like I'm wearing a straightjacket, so I'm curious how the mask and airhose would handle someone who rolls over in their sleep?
Well I've only done cpap for one night, so I'm far from an expert. It was in the sleep lab so I also had dozens of other wires hanging off me. So yes, I found it difficult to fall asleep initially. I am assured, and the comparison between the two sleep tests indicates this to be true, that a large percentage of tossing and turning for people with obstructive apnea is because they are subconsciously trying to get into a position where they can breathe better. I had much less movement while sleeping when using cpap.

I hear people come up with all sorts of interesting workarounds to minimise the anoyingness of the tubing. Most run them over the bed head, others rig up crazy looking but effective frames/stands etc. I'll figure all that out as I go.....

EDIT - There is a really good thread on TB about all this. Some excellent info over there, and there's no agro or flaming, I guess because there's a common problem to unite us.
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/anyone ... 137/page-6
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Macbass

Post by Macbass » 18 Jan 2018, 02:14

Petebass wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 15:32
a large percentage of tossing and turning for people with obstructive apnea is because they are subconsciously trying to get into a position where they can breathe better. I had much less movement while sleeping when using cpap.

Absolutely agree.

A reliable source tells me that when I don't use the CPAP I toss and turn all night.
When I use it I sleep like a log.

Tube goes from the bedside table to under the pillow to out near my head. Simple.

It can take a little while to get the right adjustment for the face/nose mask but when you do it's fine.

Definitely worth pursuing. I even take mine on tour: if anyone scoffs at it I give them one night of sharing a room with me as I snore then another night with the CPAP on. They soon shut up.
1982 Moonstone Eclipse,
Tecamp 800
Bergantino 112
Various pedals...

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 25 Jan 2018, 20:52

a good rant for a change.

I used to manage bands in the 90s after I stopped playing. Loved having free beers with the publican whilst discussing gig bookings.

Fast forward to now. The other day I sent emails to half a dozen pubs asking for gigs, included our Facebook page, soundcloud , youtubes. Then I thought, wtf happens now? what if I don't hear back? there is no feedback. Do I resend emails after a month?

this SUX.

today I opened our band's email and there was not one, not two, not three but FOUR gig offers !

For money ! we play originals only and so far gigs have been free or shared door .

for the Adelaide bassists, I really need help to get 50 people to the Gov, Sat March 24, free entry, as we are just starting out and are slowly building a following

Los Mescalitos www.Facebook.com/LosMescalitos
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 28 Feb 2018, 14:25

Remember the time the electrician cut power to my Ice Cream shop without telling me, and all the dramas it created?

Today I made a milkshake for a customer, then went to wash the jug - No Water. I went outside to look for a plumber's van, nothing. So I went into the cafe next door and asked if they had also lost water? Nope, their water is working just fine. So the problem is specific to my premises.

I don't know where the water meter is so I go out back to look for it. As I walked out the door, I collided with a person I don't know in a high-vis shirt.
"Who are you?"
"The plumber, I'm fixing something in Unit 1" (There are 4 residential units behind the shops, there is also a plumber's van parked out back).
"So why did you turn off the water to the shops?"
"Huh?"
"I've got no water"
"Really?"
"Yes Really!"
.......Stunned silence...........
"Do you want to come in and see for yourself?"
"Um, er, nah, um ... just trying to work out why you've got no water".
"Well can you please turn it back on, then try and figure it out?"
"Oh yeah, good idea."
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 28 Feb 2018, 14:44

My brother used to work for a plumber who had the maintenance contract for Holdsworthy/Moorebank army base. The army don't submit plans anywhere or follow normal practices, they just build stuff.
If you want to, say , change a washer in a tap you can't just walk outside and turn off the water. The only cock to turn it off might be 200m away in any direction. They tried using a metal detector to follow the pipe without success. Eventually they became very proficient at very quickly replacing the whole tap without turning the water off.
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 28 Feb 2018, 16:38

tearalong wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 14:44
The army don't submit plans anywhere or follow normal practices, they just build stuff.
Actually that sounds a lot like this premises. All the different sections were built as various times. It's just a hodgpodge of water pipes and electricals going every which way. I remember when the faulty safety switch meant our toilet area had no lights. It also meant the pizza shop next door had no lights for their front awning, and they're at opposite sides of the building. Even the electrician couldn't fathom a reason why it was wired like that.

The plumber came in later to apologise, but also to explain the plumbing is a total labyrinth. He'd never worked on this property before but he'll be better prepared next time.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 02 Mar 2018, 13:14

Just over a year since my Lancer was written off and I had a massive near miss on Tuesday that sent me straight to JB-Hi to buy a dashcam. It's only a 2 days old and already it has captured something.

Here's a perfect tutorial showing why you should not drive around with your hi-beams on, or have your headlights aimed up too high. 10pm at Dundowran driving towards Burrum Heads, I was blinded temporarily, flashed my beams at him once to tell him to turn his off when suddenly.................. well, excuse the swearing but that was CLOSE!

basshack

Post by basshack » 02 Mar 2018, 13:33

Did a little bit of wee come out Pete?

BTW re older post the company I worked for has made me redundant. Doesn't mean the product isn't any good but I have no interest in supporting them anymore. 6 years invested and I don't care to count how many months of time doing the above and beyond thing and they dump me like it just doesn't matter. Didn't even want me to work out my notice and get the last of the outstanding jobs completed. That was the most disappointing bit.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 02 Mar 2018, 13:51

basshack wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 13:33
BTW re older post the company I worked for has made me redundant. Doesn't mean the product isn't any good but I have no interest in supporting them anymore. 6 years invested and I don't care to count how many months of time doing the above and beyond thing and they dump me like it just doesn't matter. Didn't even want me to work out my notice and get the last of the outstanding jobs completed. That was the most disappointing bit.
^ Well that sucks! I'll be moving on Monday, and I'll be living only be 2-3 mins drive from the shop so that'll eliminate a lot of the problems that created a need for those devices anyway.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 02 Mar 2018, 20:12

Same thing happened to my Dad many years ago.... he couldn't see the roo for that tossers high beams which caused him to hit it & roll the car.

Animals freeze in high beams so best to drop them down to parking lights and honk your horn to scare them off the road.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 02 Mar 2018, 20:20

Petebass wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 13:14
Just over a year since my Lancer was written off and I had a massive near miss on Tuesday that sent me straight to JB-Hi to buy a dashcam. It's only a 2 days old and already it has captured something.

Here's a perfect tutorial showing why you should not drive around with your hi-beams on, or have your headlights aimed up too high. 10pm at Dundowran driving towards Burrum Heads, I was blinded temporarily, flashed my beams at him once to tell him to turn his off when suddenly.................. well, excuse the swearing but that was CLOSE!

Straya!!! The swearing was all part of it too. Glad to see nothing worse happened.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 02 Mar 2018, 20:32

basshack wrote:

That’s terrible
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

drbass

Post by drbass » 02 Mar 2018, 20:37

basshack wrote:

Gee, Blaine,

Only just read this. Very sorry to hear, that REALLY sucks. Makes you wonder why you (in a general sense, as in employee) put in any effort at all when you’re treated worse than a commodity.

Apart from getting over the shock, what’s the plan?

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3