Rant Thread !

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
Post Reply
User avatar
hamo
Posts: 1132
Joined: 23 Dec 2009, 23:31
Location: Manly Brisbane

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by hamo » 04 Jan 2018, 10:50

Petebass wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 15:22
drbass wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 12:18
When it rains it pours - you can probably do without that sort of additional stress, Pete. Deep breaths ... .

Regards,
Michael
Well as much as I don't like giving people stern talkings to, I gave this guy quite a stern talking to! To his credit he acknowledged he should have let me know before cutting the power, and he has promised to communicate better in future.

I'm serious about the yoga. I have a yoga studio within walking distance of the shop as it turns out.
Pete,
Obviously not sure if you've done yoga before but I've found it to be as great for the mind as it is for the body. Just find a good teacher who is into gentle yoga! See my story below.

Just a tip from experience, i believe a good yoga teacher will talk to you and/or the whole class about taking it easy/ not over stretching/ previous injuries.

I did a one off class a couple of months ago where the teacher didn't talk about these things and I've just come out of about 6 weeks of agony because i over did the stretching and irritated an old disk/nerve injury.
Sadowsky MV4-HPJ | Lakland USA Duck Dunn #13 | Genz Benz STM900 | Berg AE212 | Eden XLT210 | Aguilar TLC Compressor | Aguilar Octamiser | Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Envelope Filter

User avatar
Macbass
Posts: 406
Joined: 18 Sep 2013, 16:55
Location: Melbourne

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by Macbass » 04 Jan 2018, 15:27

"I'm about to cut the power to an ice-cream shop. Shall I call the owner?"

In which universe is the answer to this "No"??
1982 Moonstone Eclipse,
Tecamp 800
Bergantino 112
Various pedals...

User avatar
hamo
Posts: 1132
Joined: 23 Dec 2009, 23:31
Location: Manly Brisbane

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by hamo » 04 Jan 2018, 15:58

Macbass wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 15:27
"I'm about to cut the power to an ice-cream shop. Shall I call the owner?"

In which universe is the answer to this "No"??
Either that or he was oblivious to the ramifications of turning the power of...... not sure which is worse
Sadowsky MV4-HPJ | Lakland USA Duck Dunn #13 | Genz Benz STM900 | Berg AE212 | Eden XLT210 | Aguilar TLC Compressor | Aguilar Octamiser | Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Envelope Filter

User avatar
PilbaraBass
Posts: 15073
Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 17:07
Location: Gladstone, QLD

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by PilbaraBass » 04 Jan 2018, 16:56

A repair of a faulty safety switch IS a good thing... but the way it was conducted is a bit off.

Pete, maybe you can set up a webcam in your shop that is linked to your mobile. That way, if something happens, you can at least drive a camera around the premises to check things out. And having a nightlight on all the time can be an indicator for power.

something along these lines... maybe not as elaborate...
https://www.videosurveillance.com/tech/ ... a-apps.asp
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

User avatar
Petebass
Posts: 8532
Joined: 31 Oct 2008, 07:07
Location: Hervey Bay, QLD

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by Petebass » 04 Jan 2018, 17:13

PilbaraBass wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 16:56
A repair of a faulty safety switch IS a good thing... but the way it was conducted is a bit off.

Pete, maybe you can set up a webcam in your shop that is linked to your mobile. That way, if something happens, you can at least drive a camera around the premises to check things out. And having a nightlight on all the time can be an indicator for power.

something along these lines... maybe not as elaborate...
https://www.videosurveillance.com/tech/ ... a-apps.asp
I'll be moving soon. The plan was always to move closer to the shop. That will remove a lot of hassles.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

User avatar
Petebass
Posts: 8532
Joined: 31 Oct 2008, 07:07
Location: Hervey Bay, QLD

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by Petebass » 05 Jan 2018, 12:34

So after the near miss 2 days ago, today it actually happened. An entire freezer worth of stock GOOONNNE!

The staff who closed the shop last night hit the wrong button. Instead of turning the lights out, she turned the entire freezer off, then went home for the night.

FML, 2018 is going to be worse than 2017. I didn't think that was possible.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

User avatar
veebass
Posts: 8545
Joined: 10 Apr 2011, 07:01

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by veebass » 05 Jan 2018, 12:45

Petebass wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 12:34
So after the near miss 2 days ago, today it actually happened. An entire freezer worth of stock GOOONNNE!

The staff who closed the shop last night hit the wrong button. Instead of turning the lights out, she turned the entire freezer off, then went home for the night.

FML, 2018 is going to be worse than 2017. I didn't think that was possible.
Oh no. Not the one with the good people skills?
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

User avatar
BazzBass
Posts: 2861
Joined: 28 Sep 2014, 13:36
Location: Adelaide

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by BazzBass » 05 Jan 2018, 13:40

dang Pete, is there a way to wire it so that there isn't an off switch?
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

basshack
Posts: 4553
Joined: 06 Feb 2010, 10:14
Location: Melbourne Victoria

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by basshack » 05 Jan 2018, 14:01

Pete, one of our companies sells a little package with a range of remote sensors that can be accessed by your mobile and comes with email alarms. It's all sold on a monthly rental type of arrangement. So in your case you could have a temperature sensor in the freezer alarming when it gets a bit too hot, a fail safe relay and/or current sensing relay on the compressor power side to show the power has just gone off or the compressor hasn't come on for too long. Insurance against lost stock and user errors.

We're doing this for a large corporate retailer who's sick of driving past the stores and seeing lights on because we can also do remote on/off too. He can now sit at home and get an email that the shift manager in any one of his stores across the country has gone home without turning off the lights and air conditioning.

Check out WebID on your browser.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

User avatar
Aussie Mark
Posts: 16055
Joined: 28 Oct 2008, 21:06
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by Aussie Mark » 05 Jan 2018, 15:12

Sorry to hear that Pete. That's gross negligence on her part - definite grounds for termination if you want to go down that path .... assuming she understood the consequences of that switch and had been instructed so.

Is it time to add some aptitude testing (and maybe a drug test) into your hiring process?

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

User avatar
Aussie Mark
Posts: 16055
Joined: 28 Oct 2008, 21:06
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by Aussie Mark » 05 Jan 2018, 15:13

and ......

Image

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

User avatar
BazzBass
Posts: 2861
Joined: 28 Sep 2014, 13:36
Location: Adelaide

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by BazzBass » 05 Jan 2018, 17:10

Aussie Mark wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 15:12

Is it time to add some aptitude testing (and maybe a drug test) into your hiring process?
awww man don't bring drugs into it, it was her dipstick brain that caused it, probably too busy multitasking, taking selfies, twittering and talking lol
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

User avatar
Petebass
Posts: 8532
Joined: 31 Oct 2008, 07:07
Location: Hervey Bay, QLD

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by Petebass » 05 Jan 2018, 23:30

basshack wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 14:01
Pete, one of our companies sells a little package with a range of remote sensors that can be accessed by your mobile and comes with email alarms. It's all sold on a monthly rental type of arrangement. So in your case you could have a temperature sensor in the freezer alarming when it gets a bit too hot, a fail safe relay and/or current sensing relay on the compressor power side to show the power has just gone off or the compressor hasn't come on for too long. Insurance against lost stock and user errors.

We're doing this for a large corporate retailer who's sick of driving past the stores and seeing lights on because we can also do remote on/off too. He can now sit at home and get an email that the shift manager in any one of his stores across the country has gone home without turning off the lights and air conditioning.

Check out WebID on your browser.
That looks great, but there's no pricing information. And how would that work for a setup which had several chest freezers plus several display freezers? Can you have several temperature sensors all going to one central "brain"?
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

User avatar
NotTheFish
Posts: 2614
Joined: 07 Nov 2009, 18:49
Location: Bathurst

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by NotTheFish » 06 Jan 2018, 07:59


User avatar
blizzard
Posts: 792
Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 23:03
Location: Brisbane

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by blizzard » 06 Jan 2018, 08:50

Damn, bad start to the year for you Pete. Definitely think some kind of remote monitoring may be required.

Does your Genie kick in automatically if it senses a loss of mains power?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest