Build #12 - 6 string fretless (warning; crazy content)

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
aphekgreg

Re: Build #12 - 6 string fretless (warning; crazy content)

Post by aphekgreg » 22 Dec 2017, 13:17

slowlearner wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 13:05
Ok, interesting. Stew from Nordstrand advised against it. What you've just shown me is the opportunity/disadvantage to have what's in effect a much hotter PU. Right?
I did a test where I recorded the same pickup, with low and high guass. The increased magnetism did increase the output and also gave it more pronounced mids. After averaging the levels the higher gauss actually sounded slightly quieter.

Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 22 Dec 2017, 14:06

:thumbup:

There's a very satisfying amount of 'nerdery' going on here. :D
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 23 Dec 2017, 12:14

Back in the shed this morning to start carving the neck... or should that be rasping/filing. Before I did anything I looked up Warwick's neck profile page.

http://www.warwick.de/en/Warwick---Prod ... 003539A613

I guess what I'm aiming for is a "broad-neck". I started by getting the right profiles at the 1st fret and 12th fret areas. The 2 pencil lines running along the blank are the spots where the graphite rods are. I'm determined NOT to carve through into them. Although I'd need to work hard to do that as they're only 6mm deep as against the 9mm depth the trussrod slot is.

I really carved into the shoulders as Michael (Drbass) suggested, to try and thin it down. Up until now I've tended to build bassball bats, which is ok. However on this bass I didn't want to have the neck overweight or difficult to reach across. It's already going to be HUGE. No need to overdo it.

Then I was just left to getting rid of the remaining timber...

Which is where I began to flag. It's going to be 37degC (100F) today and the shed was just getting too hot. I'll do some more tonight when it all cools down.

drbass

Post by drbass » 23 Dec 2017, 12:40

Nice, Pete.

No need to worry you’ll hit the graphite rods, perfectly safe where they are.

Neck profile page? I had no idea, will have to have a look.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 26 Dec 2017, 15:07

Got up this morning determined to get a whole lot done on the bass today. So, here we go...

I then shaved down the joint for the headstock on the neck blank to lower the break angle for the C string over the end of the neck.

Then my new favorite toy, the spindle sander.

Then it was time for a new headstock template. The new one is 1" longer than the old. This should give me enough room for the C string without being overly long for the B string. I'll also have this one 15mm thick instead of the 13mm on the old blank. For some reason, I got into trouble for using the thicknesser while my wife was sleeping. Who knows why...

I then installed the threaded inserts in the old headstock to see how they are.

I'm not entirely convinced about these. They go in ok, but the allen socket in them is not really tight and is easily stripped out. They also don't go in straight easily and you can see the gap around the end of it from the other side. Hmm.

Thankfully the allen screws look awesome. They will need a washer under them though I think. Otherwise the wood will crush and the string will slip.

drbass

Post by drbass » 26 Dec 2017, 15:13

I use the same inserts, Pete, with a little bit of additional drilling.

First one, all the way through, is 6.5 mm to accommodate the screw (I suppose you'll be using 6 mm bolts, right?)
Then 9.5 to the projected depth of the actual insert (they come in different lengths).
And finally a little counter-sinking to make sure the flange sits flush, or just below, the wood surface. You can quite easily sand those back as well.

That way you get a neat look at the exit, and they "sort of" self-centre when the end hits the 6.5 mm part.

I also lubricate with a little bit of titebond - makes it much easier to screw them in without stripping the hex socket.

Regards,
Michael

P.S.: since they have the flange at the top there's really very little chance they are being pulled out
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 26 Dec 2017, 16:38

Cheers for that. Will do. Love this community. :)

Now for some more stupidity...

Trying to keep the screws out of the "kill zone" (ie. truss and carbon rods).

One might ask whether bolting on the headstock has been worth it. Hmm, I'm still consider the answer but I will say this. No painful mitre joints. No sketchy cutting/routing off part of the headstock.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 26 Dec 2017, 21:20

The neck and headstock are pretty well done now. I've spent most of the day shaping the neck with the dust extractor or shop vac running. Noisy, but a much nicer way to work.

I drilled the headstock as per drbass' instructions (thanks Michael). I'm pretty happy with it. I won't install the inserts until I've finished it. At this stage the whole headstock will be died jet black and then oiled with Danish oil. My feeling is the neck will get a wipe on poly finish.

Here's the scrappy bit of steel that will become the new neck plate.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 28 Dec 2017, 11:47

Seems like I'm not the only one who thought a bolt on headstock was a good idea... Check 4:10

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 28 Dec 2017, 23:17

Hanging with my bro. I finally had a chance to have a look at the Eko I posted pics of last week. The guitar was much more trashed than I knew to begin with. My bro said it was thrashed when the school got it.

The bridge was totally split and cracked (I'd ripped off the front bit trying to get the inserts out).

The top was falling off and cracked all over. Nasty stuff. In fact, the only usable part on the whole guitar is the neck.

I'm pretty sure the neck is all mahogany, but it's a laminated 3 piece neck. What's interesting is the fingerboard. It's certainly not rosewood or ebony. I tend to think it's padouk or bubinga. The other thing is, the board and the frets are very worn as is the zero fret. They're also pretty small frets to begin with. So the board will need to be sanded as well as refretted. A little more work than I was planning, but I think worth the effort.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 31 Dec 2017, 16:29

All the wood work (bar sanding) is done now. Today I made the "Tone block" (bahahahahaha! :rolf: ) that goes under the headless tailpiece. Seriously, where do people get this "tone block" rubbish. Even Carl Thompson laughed at that. But I digress. I thought I'd lay it out to get a feel for it.

I put a 12" straight edge next to it for some perspective. The thing is ENORMOUS. I wish I had a P-bass so I could throw it on the ground the next to it to show how monstrous it is (BTW, that's the only reason I want a P bass).

So next is metal work. Tomorrow is a public holiday, but I need to go to a ballet concert... don't ask. So I won't have as much time as I'd like to work in it. I've been doing some thinking about whether this is a viable option for building lots of basses. Coz, in all honesty, making the "tone block" was kinda hard work. I think tuners on the headstock would be much easier. Speaking of which, after this build, I have another crazy bass to build for my Sis-in-law. And when I say crazy, it even makes this thing look normal.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 31 Dec 2017, 16:36

BTW, I'm trying to figure out what to do with finishing. I though the timber looked ho-hum and was going to stain it all black. But I'm reconsidering. I want to do a hand rubbed finish. Poly or oil. Not sure about colours though. Thoughts?

And

HAPPY NEW YEAR! :drinkingbuddies:

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 01 Jan 2018, 08:38

Couldn't sleep in this morning despite staying up a bit last night for new years. Probably a good thing. It's going to be 35degC today. So I was up watering the lawns and feeding guinea pigs (not mine). I really want to fire up my drop saw and cut my steel plates but 8:30am on new year's day seemed a little early. LOL

I stained my test headstock to see how black it would get. This was with a pretty heavy coat. Not all that impressed. I guess it'll take a few goes.

I'll also stain the other side and sand it back to see how it goes bringing out the grain.

david1234

Post by david1234 » 01 Jan 2018, 08:49

I'm starting to really dig that shape now that I can actually see it!
:yep
O===
/ \

Endorsing artist: Warwick basses, Fender/SWR.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 01 Jan 2018, 18:10

Flipped the headstock over and tried the blue stain I have on it... Not entirely convinced.

Then, it being 10am, I pulled out the drop saw and cut me some metal.

One of the tricks with this design is getting your screws as close to the edge as possible. By doing so you have the best chance of ultilizing the steel in sheer along the line where the body wings and neck meet. However, if the screws are too close to the edge, they will split the end grain. So I did a little experiment.

Turns out 6mm is not enough. 8mm is more than safe. Then some marking out. I screwed up the thin piece twice. All good though. Measure three times, screw it up twice, measure another four times and cross your fingers.

Drilling, drilling, drilling....