Ozbass for electronic music/midi

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
Veldar

Ozbass for electronic music/midi

Post by Veldar » 20 Dec 2016, 08:30

Hey everyone, I've been trying to delve into Ableton live & midi controllers for the last week, super fun stuff for sure but does anyone know if there's an Australian discussion page for that kind of stuff. Would help me a lot especially since I'm picky about midi keyboards.

Cheers, Sam.
Thanks to geggy spoiger for the Ken Smith

RobC

Re: Ozbass for electronic music/midi

Post by RobC » 20 Dec 2016, 16:16

Sam-

Don't know why you want something Australian?
https://forum.ableton.com/viewforum.php?f=1
is full of useful things.
Liveschool in Sydney are very good (in my opinion anyway) and they have some information online
https://liveschool.net/
Also there are Ableton Facebook groups in a lot of places- don't know about the Hunter though.
Fabulous software.
Mailloux #32, Ibanez SDGR800LE lefty, EA/Bergantino, trombone, Ableton Live

Veldar

Post by Veldar » 20 Dec 2016, 19:02

Just thought it would be interesting to catch some local people doing their stuff, but I'll check facebook for groups.

I've been loving the stuff I've seen ,I just need to find a midi keyboard I like, they've all felt somewhat flimsy so far. The Novation Impulse had a really good weight on the white keys but the black ones didn't have any weight behind them for example.

irvinz

Post by irvinz » 20 Dec 2016, 19:17

RobC

Post by RobC » 20 Dec 2016, 21:11

A visit to StoreDJ might be the answer- worth trying pads as well- especially the Push- bit expensive perhaps but very nice.
Mailloux #32, Ibanez SDGR800LE lefty, EA/Bergantino, trombone, Ableton Live

evilgus

Post by evilgus » 21 Dec 2016, 00:52

I've had the same thought, maybe we can start something? Have spent the last year doing a fair bit of sequencing with Live 9, Virus TI, Arturia Analog Lab/V Collection and some other older gear, so always looking for people to chat with and compare ideas.

Cheers,

EG

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 21 Dec 2016, 06:56

I've subscribed, and I'll come along for the ride - heaps I'd like to pick up about this.
I see..............basses!

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 21 Dec 2016, 08:20

RobC wrote:A visit to StoreDJ might be the answer- worth trying pads as well- especially the Push- bit expensive perhaps but very nice.
StoreDJ are pretty good - I bought some studio monitors from there and they encouraged me to take as much time as I wanted playing my own ipod through everything they had.
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

Veldar

Post by Veldar » 21 Dec 2016, 17:59

irvinz wrote:how bout some midi bass? http://www.menimitatingmachines.com/demo_videos/
Is that you? I remember seeing the industrial radio bass a little while ago, I'd be more interested in getting the fret trax system installed in my bongo 6 string than buying a dedicated instrument.

I'll make a trip down to Sydney after new years then to try some midi stuff out, I have my eyes set on the Novation SK because it's semi weighted but I'm definitely down to look at some others. Push kind of scares me that amount of skill it would take to use it fluidly with other people let alone by yourself seems quite high.

irvinz

Post by irvinz » 21 Dec 2016, 20:25

nah mate, not i!

Veldar

Post by Veldar » 24 Dec 2016, 14:33

^ Darn I had a lot of questions for them, instead of the industrial radio bass I'd be more interested in the fret trax system that Victor Wooten has started to use, as blasphemous as that is to say on a Aussie site.

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 26 Dec 2016, 23:23

I'm hitting up the Ableton resources too at the moment, having just bought my Son a Launchpad MkII for Christmas. It's a bit of a learning curve for him (he's only 14), so naturally he's asking me all sorts of things about it - trouble is, I'm not that far ahead of him!! 8/ Like any DAW, once you learn how the program "thinks", you're off & running; neither of us are quite at that stage yet though.
:red face :lol:

The online tutorials have been great; I've also found this site which I haven't had a chance to fully explore yet, but looks cool nonetheless:

http://www.launchpad-pro.com
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

evilgus

Post by evilgus » 12 Jan 2017, 19:51

Yeh, Store DJ are pretty good for advice, plus they do manage to keep their prices pretty competitive. I've now bought quite a bit from them - Eris E5 monitors, Novation Mini-Nova, Arturia Mini-Lab, Zoom recorder, Virus TI soft-case, etc.

Whenever I visit, I usually try out a few MIDI keyboards and I've always thought he Akais had a good action and seemed good quality. I don't own one, but I do have the Akai Mini APC for triggering Live clips, that's good value and works well with Live 9. (Auto-mapping won't work with Live 8.)

EG

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 26 May 2018, 15:27

I'm looking for a few ideas brands/models to look at, to start getting into live sequencing.
With midi programmable drums, and pads.
Can't be a laptop - it must be reasonably solid. Idea being to program up your songs - load them in, then just select them when performing. So it must have a clear screen and selection button.
Any such thing as 'just a basic unit'? Please hit me with your thoughts.....
I see..............basses!