Source for metal speaker grille?

Basses, Amps, Accessories etc...
oldschool

Source for metal speaker grille?

Post by oldschool » 24 Nov 2015, 14:45

I have built a number of Greenboy ( over on TalkBass forum) designed Fearful bass cabinets and can highly recommend them, but the problem is always finding a suitable grille. I know I can use, and have, the round perforated speaker dishes. While these work well enough, I don't particularly like the aesthetic appearance of them.

So my question is, does any one know of an Australian supplier of the flat perforated steel sheet, as used on speaker fronts. I tried a local steel supplier who said "sure, if you want a 1200 x 2400 sheet for around $400 plus freight". I could use, perhaps half that size, but, they wont cut.

What do other people do? I could make a frame and use nice grille cloth, but these cabinets are subs and the grille and speaker wouldn't last long on the dance floor.

BigDaddy

Re: Source for metal speaker grille?

Post by BigDaddy » 24 Nov 2015, 15:05

Give Paramount Browns a call in Adelaide - They have all sorts of metal sheet there and will guillotine it to size. I'm pretty sure I've seen grille type sheet there in the past.
Basses: Sandberg, Fender, SUB & Squier
Amps & Cabs: Ashdown, Ampeg, Tecamp & Aguilar

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 24 Nov 2015, 17:29

FWIW, I once bit the bullet and bought the big sheet, thinking I'd just stash the excess in the garage for later. Then Ozbass people started asking if they could buy a piece. It was all gone in no time.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

oldschool

Post by oldschool » 24 Nov 2015, 23:59

Give Paramount Browns a call in Adelaide - They have all sorts of metal sheet there and will guillotine it to size. I'm pretty sure I've seen grille type sheet there in the past.
Cheers BigDaddy, I just might give them a call.
FWIW, I once bit the bullet and bought the big sheet, thinking I'd just stash the excess in the garage for later. Then Ozbass people started asking if they could buy a piece. It was all gone in no time.
Great idea Petebass.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 26 Nov 2015, 16:52

I heard an ad on 5AA about a metal place that cut , bend and weld it all for you.

I was gonna see how much to make a slightly longer Nano board. I am still waiting to hear the ad again to get their name and number. SCM or sumthin
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

OzzyGreg

Post by OzzyGreg » 07 Dec 2015, 16:30

Aluminium security screen works well. I used to get it from a local security door manufacturer. Comes in quite a few colours too.
Oh, and it's light as!
Can't quite let go of my basses. They're kind of addictive.

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 07 Dec 2015, 16:37

OzzyGreg wrote:.
Aluminium security screen works well. I used to get it from a local security door manufacturer. Comes in quite a few colours too.
Oh, and it's light as!
You can go overboard on the lightweight door mesh. I went for something too light and found it was full of dents and creases after about 6 months use.
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

chrapladm

Post by chrapladm » 02 Jan 2016, 20:05

SO what did you end up buying for your grille?

And do you ever venture down to Adelaide area?

I ask because after being out of bass playing for many years I am wanting to get back into it again. SO I was looking at building a 15/6/1 cabinet. SO just curious if there was ever a time you were down this way I could hear you play one of your cabinets. Not sure what all you have.
"Music is the space between the notes"- Claude Debussy