What are you drinking? And WHY?

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
bloodmason

Re: What are you drinking? And WHY?

Post by bloodmason » 17 Oct 2013, 13:57

lostdoggy wrote:Talisker is the main ingredient in johnny black right?
I'm a big fan of Dalwhinnie at the moment.
I love a bit of Dalwhinnie. Have you tried Glenmorangie? That's another good one in the same vein as Dalwhinnie. I'm also a fan of The Balvenie Doublewood and Oban 14yo in this style.
www.facebook.com/EmergencyRule
www.facebook.com/CaptainHellfireBand
I actually play the skinny strings in Captain Hellfire.... please don't kick me out of the club :peep:

lostdoggy

Post by lostdoggy » 17 Oct 2013, 14:18

Yeh, haven't tried balvenie out of those. Love Oban though.

wilbur88

Post by wilbur88 » 17 Oct 2013, 17:06

Let's start a thread!
'82 Steinberger L-2 : '78 Gibson Grabber G3 : '06 Gibson T-bird : '06 Gretsch G6072 Country Gentleman : '11 Fender 60th Anniversary P : '78 Guild B302F : '05 Warwick CS SS1 5

Fender TV

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 17 Oct 2013, 17:13

Crabbies Ginger Beer now does Raspberry and Strawberry/Lime flavours. Nice but WAY too sweet, the raspberry was almost 'kiddies medicine' sweet. Had two last night and feeling a bit of sugar OD today.

Spiced Orange is OK, but the Original flavour is still the best.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

kylemiester

Post by kylemiester » 17 Oct 2013, 20:08

Aussie Mark wrote:
kylemiester wrote:I work for CUB

Since we were bought out by SAB Miller there has been some massive changes to our brewing processes.
The quality of the beer has increased & there are also now no preservatives in the majority of our beer.
The no preservatives part is a great move. It's the reason I drink Coopers by choice most of the time - I always wake up minty fresh after a big night on the Coopers
Cleaned some beer lines at a pub today that hadn't been done for a while. - What came out of the Coopers line was wrong! Literally black!

That being said in my pre-brewery days I did drink some Coopers. Mainly when we were living in SA & I could see the brewery from the house we lived at!

wilbur88

Post by wilbur88 » 17 Oct 2013, 23:28

As an ex brewer Coopers smells like stale beer to me.
'82 Steinberger L-2 : '78 Gibson Grabber G3 : '06 Gibson T-bird : '06 Gretsch G6072 Country Gentleman : '11 Fender 60th Anniversary P : '78 Guild B302F : '05 Warwick CS SS1 5

Fender TV

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 24 Oct 2013, 21:59

Warning label on Saxton Apple Cider (NZ) bottle:
"For women who are pregnant, planning a pregnancy, or breastfeeding, not drinking alcohol is the safest option".
Hmmmm, REALLY?? (sarcasm) :rollno:
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 24 Oct 2013, 22:04

Warning labels were invented for people with no common sense
Strings: Fender, Custom, Framus, Warwick
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Cones: Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

CamZH

Post by CamZH » 25 Oct 2013, 08:22

^by people with no common sense.
Lawyers.

I've been on a bit of a Bavarian kick of late love a bit of Weihenstephan.
and holy damn, my google search to get the spelling right has just revealed it comes in mini kegs !!!

As for Coopers, i'm def a fan, but was shocked in Adealaide last week that people there dont know how to serve it >< probably didnt help I was staying in Glenelg
Troll lol loling along

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 25 Oct 2013, 08:39

^ Warning labels were invented by arrogant politicians (=failed lawyers) who want to do something so that they can feel good about themselves. Don Quixote syndrome.

on the subject of Weihenstephan... Dan Murph's has 12 500mL bottles (6L) for $52... or you can get a 5L mini keg for $50... I fail to see the economics here....

I WILL definitely have to get me some Hefe Weissbeir Dunkel for Christmas time, though... looks like something I'd enjoy.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

CamZH

Post by CamZH » 25 Oct 2013, 09:04

Well spotted Kerry,
And then you dont need to drink it all at once.
I've just been through a few of their Festbier's and that was rather tasty, but rather different from their regular brews.
If you like the Dunkel, you'd probably also like their traditional.
Troll lol loling along

wilbur88

Post by wilbur88 » 25 Oct 2013, 10:01

CamZH wrote:^by people with no common sense.
Lawyers.

I've been on a bit of a Bavarian kick of late love a bit of Weihenstephan.
and holy damn, my google search to get the spelling right has just revealed it comes in mini kegs !!!

As for Coopers, i'm def a fan, but was shocked in Adealaide last week that people there dont know how to serve it >< probably didnt help I was staying in Glenelg
Cam, you're right - the Weihenstephan beers are sensational. They claim to be the first ever commercial brewery and remain an educational institution. I love them, they are delicious across the board. Try also the Bridgeport IPA if you can find it. It's an American craft beer that is also delicious and slightly less potent than the Sierra Nevada Pale. In fact, there are dozens of amazing US craft beers if you like flavoursome beers. Some are a bit high in alc though, to enjoy more than one or two. For me. :/

The warning label issue is a serious one for me, as it has the potential to impact on my industry acutely. It is driven by the anti alcohol lobby, which is getting stronger by the day and has the government's ear. The binge drinking problem in Australia is a serious concern, it tarnishes the whole alcohol industry, and makes us an easy target. Warning labels will only become more visible and we may well end up with labels not dissimilar to the US Surgeon General warning labels in time. There is considerable support for it, and the industry is actually getting on the front foot and recommending certain standard practice labelling to appease the lobby. Regardless, that is not the way to address the binge drinking problems we face. Education is, from an early age. Teach kids about quality over quantity I say. :2c:

Fender TV

CamZH

Post by CamZH » 25 Oct 2013, 11:21

wilbur88 wrote: In fact, there are dozens of amazing US craft beers if you like flavoursome beers. Some are a bit high in alc though, to enjoy more than one or two. For me. :/
Right you are, I've never had an IPA that i've enjoyed. But my wife lived in the Pacific North West (Washington) and had a massive array of fantastic craft beers available.

Pyramid Brewery is a stand out, even went to the Brewery for a family lunch last I was there :)
In the rain, proper Seattle style.

Rouge seems to be getting a bit trendy here now, but its all rubbish and fancy labels :)
Troll lol loling along

wilbur88

Post by wilbur88 » 25 Oct 2013, 11:36

CamZH wrote: Right you are, I've never had an IPA that i've enjoyed.
Too bitter?

Fender TV

CamZH

Post by CamZH » 25 Oct 2013, 12:27

I dunno exactly what it is, but maybe thats it ?
Troll lol loling along