How Would You Make OzBassForum Better?

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
Phil
Site Admin

How Would You Make OzBassForum Better?

Post by Phil » 04 Nov 2008, 07:43

The title says it all, how would you make it better?

Tell me what you'd like to see here, give me advice, whinge at what you don't like. Let's hear it :D

Mikey

Re: How Would You Make OzBassForum Better?

Post by Mikey » 04 Nov 2008, 08:33

Honestly I think it's doing pretty well. What it needs most is more members. I'm not sure there's anything you can do about that apart from get the word out that this place exists. As mentioned in the announcements forum I think that some better forum software would also be good. I understand that's a matter of finances though.

Apart from that I like the vibe here. In true Aussie style everyone is pretty relaxed and that makes a big difference compared to other forums I've been on.

Derek_L

Post by Derek_L » 04 Nov 2008, 16:27

New members.
Possibly the ability to change your layout/theme

Other then that I'm really liking this forum. Such a nice chill vibe and it's great having the opportunity to find other Australian's (Or Kiwis?) quickly. Just make sure the place keeps this nice vibe and no body causes trouble :thumbup:
G&L = <3

robert43

Post by robert43 » 04 Nov 2008, 17:54

Hi I would like to see it casual like it is now but NO politics , religion talk, guns /hunting either pro or negative,no clubs ie p club Fender clubs etc. I dont see the point of them or am I just to old :rollno: .The only club I want to see is a member of the no club, club :hmm :thumbup:
Also no P vs Jazz bass.
Yes you can say you love your Jazz etc but not its better than P bass
Also Iam happy now I can logon & stay logon :hyper:
"A kiss ia an application on the top floor for a job in the basement " Brian Johnson

Soong

Post by Soong » 04 Nov 2008, 18:31

Perhaps a quick reply input area at the bottom of the thread rather than clicking post reply?
Keep in touch with me online!
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram

ROON

Post by ROON » 04 Nov 2008, 19:14

I would like a multi-quote button. :)
robert43 wrote:Hi I would like to see it casual like it is now but NO politics , religion talk, guns /hunting either pro or negative,no clubs ie p club Fender clubs etc.
So... like TalkBass? :?

We're all adults here (well, most of us), I think we should be allowed to have a sensible convosation about politics. However religion talks can get nasty, I wouldn't be sad to see them go. If I wanted to have a TalkBass type forum with Nazi rules I'd stay over there. I don't want to see this forum go the same way.

No offence to your reccomendation robert, I just think it would be nice to chat about anything, as long as it is kept civilised.
- Josh

robert43

Post by robert43 » 04 Nov 2008, 19:24

ROON wrote:I would like a multi-quote button. :)
robert43 wrote:Hi I would like to see it casual like it is now but NO politics , religion talk, guns /hunting either pro or negative,no clubs ie p club Fender clubs etc.

We're all adults here (well, most of us), I think we should be allowed to have a sensible convosation about politics. However religion talks can get nasty, I wouldn't be sad to see them go. If I wanted to have a TalkBass type forum with Nazi rules I'd stay over there. I don't want to see this forum go the same way.

No offence to your reccomendation robert, I just think it would be nice to chat about anything, as long as it is kept civilised.
When I said no poltics I guess I meant no heated talks like TB , if it was cillival I can handel that :)
Just no red neck talk etc that Yanks love ie smack down talk
"A kiss ia an application on the top floor for a job in the basement " Brian Johnson

ROON

Post by ROON » 04 Nov 2008, 19:53

robert43 wrote:
ROON wrote:I would like a multi-quote button. :)

When I said no poltics I guess I meant no heated talks like TB , if it was cillival I can handel that :)
Just no red neck talk etc that Yanks love ie smack down talk
Alright then mate, that's how I like it too. :) I think political discussions are great, until someone comes in bashing peoples views instead of just chatting about it y'know. People on TB can't control themselves, as soon as someone states their opinion there are several people within 10 minutes all flaming the hell out of the guy and then making their opinion known. It's rediculous! :rollno:

OH, and also, I want the ": hmm :"* smiley. :D

* had to do spaces to avoid doing a smiley we already have.
- Josh

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 04 Nov 2008, 21:13

I'd like to keep this forum with the afore mentioned cool vibe :) I won't put in craploads of regulations or rules or ban subjects or whatever. I'd be happy if this forum can moderate itself. I.e. members moderate each other. If everyone's cool with each other then no probs ;)

I'll take a look into the fast-posting and the user-defined skin option. I'm not sure these options are available with phpBB though but I'll check it out on the phpBB community to see if there's mods that can be had for that.

ROON, I'm not sure which "hmm" smilie you'd like. If you can copy one from somewhere and post it here I might be able to put it up in there.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 05 Nov 2008, 08:05

Ok, so I fixed the user-defined styles.

If you'd like to view the forum with a different look go to your User Control Panel-> Board Preferences -> Edit Global Settings -> "My board style:"

Some features may be disabled in some styles. Send me a PM if you find any bugs with any style. I'll try to upload a couple more styles today or tomorrow. Alternatively, you can go browse for styles at www.phpbb3styles.net Only phpBB 3.x styles will work. Send me a link to the one you'd like to have on your PC and I'll upload it to the server.

No more than one style per person please, I don't want to keep 100's of those in the database, a dozen or so is more than enough.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 05 Nov 2008, 14:05

I just added a couple of styles to choose from if you want a different look. I'll put up a few more in the next couple of days.

I tried to add the quick reply feature, that brought down the forum for a good 15 minutes. I'll try another version of it in the next few days

ROON

Post by ROON » 05 Nov 2008, 14:45

This one, Phil.

:)
- Josh

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 05 Nov 2008, 14:54

You mean neutral :|

That's hmm :hmm

:D

I'll switch the neutral one soon, I like yours better anyway.

ROON

Post by ROON » 05 Nov 2008, 15:13

Thanks mate! :D
- Josh

Phatbass

Post by Phatbass » 07 Nov 2008, 17:35

Don't know if it's easily doable but I wouldn't mind seeing a gig guide. Members could post their gigs and also any other gigs of interest to OBF'ers.

Possibly something that can be updated by OBF subscribers on an online form so some poor individual doesn't have to do it by hand.
Phatbass

"Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt"