How is this GST for overseas items under 1k going to work ?

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
veebass

Re: How is this GST for overseas items under 1k going to work ?

Post by veebass » 02 Jun 2018, 07:55

More stuff..

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaki ... 50ff9f257a

Morrison seems to have a basic misunderstanding of the GST- companies like Amazon don't pay it, they collect and remit it- we pay it. That, or he is being deceptive.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 04 Jun 2018, 09:21

veebass wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 18:18
I buy my ebooks for my Kindle from US Amazon currently. I will be fascinated to see how quickly new titles go on the Oz Amazon when I use it the first time and what they cost. I don't really care about the GST, I f the service is worse I will be p!ssed.
Russ, have you considered signing up for Amazon's Kindle Unlimited package? For $13.99/month you can read whatever you like, it's like Netflix but for ebooks

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 04 Jun 2018, 09:43

veebass wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 07:55
More stuff..

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaki ... 50ff9f257a

Morrison seems to have a basic misunderstanding of the GST- companies like Amazon don't pay it, they collect and remit it- we pay it. That, or he is being deceptive.
Yeah that was a really dumb comment.
Warwick SS2, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

veebass

Post by veebass » 04 Jun 2018, 09:55

Aussie Mark wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 09:21
veebass wrote:
I buy my ebooks for my Kindle from US Amazon currently. I will be fascinated to see how quickly new titles go on the Oz Amazon when I use it the first time and what they cost. I don't really care about the GST, I f the service is worse I will be p!ssed.
Russ, have you considered signing up for Amazon's Kindle Unlimited package? For $13.99/month you can read whatever you like, it's like Netflix but for ebooks
Thanks, Mark. I didn't know about it. I'll look into it. Guess it depends what is available- Oz Amazon or US Amazon?

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 04 Jun 2018, 14:35

veebass wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 09:55
Aussie Mark wrote:
veebass wrote:
Thanks, Mark. I didn't know about it. I'll look into it. Guess it depends what is available- Oz Amazon or US Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com.au/kindle-dbs/hz/signup/

Here's what's available .... https://www.amazon.com.au/b?ie=UTF8&node=3164445051

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

kat888

Post by kat888 » 04 Jun 2018, 14:42

veebass wrote:
Possibly both ... thick and evil.

Indeed, the issue is Amazon not paying tax on their profits by shunting $$$ to low tax jurisdictions, not local sales tax. Amazon ain't going to pay more tax, in fact ScoMo and Malcolm are planning to give them and their buddies a tax cut.

All the crap they've been selling people about the 'benefits' of globalisation ... er sorry, what were they again?

The next logical extension of the #HarveyNormanTax is overseas travel. If I visit my parents in NZ, I have to pay tax to Gerry, because it's OUTRAGEOUS that goods bought overseas with 'Australian' money are not subject to Australian tax. .

Dear Gerry

I bought my 80yr mum a pack of chuddy, Here's your 10c....

x

Kat

veebass

Post by veebass » 04 Jun 2018, 15:29

kat888 wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 14:42
veebass wrote:
Possibly both ... thick and evil.

Indeed, the issue is Amazon not paying tax on their profits by shunting $$$ to low tax jurisdictions, not local sales tax. Amazon ain't going to pay more tax, in fact ScoMo and Malcolm are planning to give them and their buddies a tax cut.

All the crap they've been selling people about the 'benefits' of globalisation ... er sorry, what were they again?

The next logical extension of the #HarveyNormanTax is overseas travel. If I visit my parents in NZ, I have to pay tax to Gerry, because it's OUTRAGEOUS that goods bought overseas with 'Australian' money are not subject to Australian tax. .

Dear Gerry

I bought my 80yr mum a pack of chuddy, Here's your 10c.

x

Kat
Sorry Kat- company tax evasion by companies like these seem to go without saying.
Shhhhh.... you'll give Gerry ideas. :lol:

veebass

Post by veebass » 04 Jun 2018, 15:36

Aussie Mark wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 14:35
veebass wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 09:55
Aussie Mark wrote:

https://www.amazon.com.au/kindle-dbs/hz/signup/

Here's what's available .... https://www.amazon.com.au/b?ie=UTF8&node=3164445051
Just did a quick comparison on Steven King's new book for Kindle- available on both- when you convert the currency- not much difference in price. Not sure if the Oz one is collecting GST yet.

packrat

Post by packrat » 04 Jun 2018, 16:10

Actually Amazon has been only making profits by mistake for decades because they've been plowing every dollar back into building the largest logistics operation the world has ever seen.

They've been making a profit the last little bit because they can't sink the money from the cloud business fast enough. It's not related to the physical stuff or ebook money though.

Gerry in contrast has changed the world not at all. Horrid little person.

B>

veebass

Post by veebass » 04 Jun 2018, 16:28

packrat wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 16:10
Actually Amazon has been only making profits by mistake for decades because they've been plowing every dollar back into building the largest logistics operation the world has ever seen.

They've been making a profit the last little bit because they can't sink the money from the cloud business fast enough. It's not related to the physical stuff or ebook money though.

B>
I don't disagree about Gerry and his contributions.

I thought Amazon was just evading tax in higher taxing jurisdictions and using the money gained to build it's business and it is actually China that is building the biggest logistics operation we will ever see as it rebuilds the Silk Road and then some., as our dopey leaders probably put us on the wrong side of history. Give me a Panda to hug! ;)

jezzamac

Post by jezzamac » 04 Jun 2018, 16:52

packrat wrote:

B>
He has recently been in the news denouncing women on company boards of directors
http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/am ... nn/9830896.
Fender '78 Precision, Squier CV Jazz, Maton JBIV, Ibanez SR405, G&L Tribute SB2, Ashbory and Markbass CMD121P, Fender Rumble V# 12" cab, GK 400RB, No-name 4x10 cab
funKtus, Samurai Trash, Exploding Happiness, Night Radio (no longer).

veebass

Post by veebass » 04 Jun 2018, 17:04

jezzamac wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 16:52
packrat wrote:

B>
He has recently been in the news denouncing women on company boards of directors
http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/am ... nn/9830896.
Precisely, Jezza.

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 04 Jun 2018, 17:36

veebass wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 15:36

Just did a quick comparison on Steven King's new book for Kindle- available on both- when you convert the currency- not much difference in price. Not sure if the Oz one is collecting GST yet.
It's $16 (including GST) in Big W in paperback - less than the Amazon Kindle version - and you can give it away or sell it when you have finished
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

veebass

Post by veebass » 04 Jun 2018, 17:48

tearalong wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 17:36
veebass wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 15:36

It's $16 (including GST) in Big W in paperback - less than the Amazon Kindle version - and you can give it away or sell it when you have finished
Yes, but Kindle is really good to read for old guys like me. I am reading Sleeping Beauties at present in paperback and it is a struggle even with glasses!

packrat

Post by packrat » 04 Jun 2018, 18:04

Dead trees are a lot of clutter and (relatively) hard to travel with. Be aware that big W et al sell a handful of books at under their cost as loss leaders. They're using them to bring customers in to buy other things which is how the can afford to undercut booksellers .