2018 iPhone killers?

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
Phatbass

2018 iPhone killers?

Post by Phatbass » 08 Apr 2018, 20:38

Every couple of years I ask this same question when my current phone contract comes to an end and I start looking for a new one.

My criteria are: decent camera (I have a DSLR camera, but as they say the best camera is the one you have with you at the time) must take a memory card, and headphone output (I could reluctantly survive without, but the rest of the phone would have to be pretty good).

What are the current contenders? iPhone X is out due to non-expandable memory and no headphone out, plus needing to do the iTunes thing for file transfer.

Samsung Galaxy S9+ is the current favourite. I've had the S3, S5, and at the moment the S7. I'm not a Samsung fanboi - They just happen to have rung the right bells at the time. And it looks like the same this time.

Pixel 2 XL would be a no-brainer but probably outside the budget.

So any suggestions/experiences?

(I'm also tempted to just stay with the ol' S7. But then the nerd/geek gene starts up.)
Phatbass

"Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt"

packrat

Re: 2018 iPhone killers?

Post by packrat » 08 Apr 2018, 21:03

Not sure about the iTunes thing for file transfer. I use an iPhone and and android phone (Pixel) daily, and I can't easily recall the last time I connected the iphone or an ipad to iTunes. I sync sheet music from dropbox to goodreader, it can download its own stuff, and I use spotify or the google music thing for music. iPhone is my primary non-work phone, and even the google phones are copying the Apple removal of the headphone jack (and adaptors are readily available)

I mean, it's been something like 3 weeks since a 'plane in Australia was forced into an emergency evacuation by a Samsung phone going foom in an overhead compartment, and they haven't gotten any better about not putting their own layer of poorly functioning software on their phones.

B>

Shappo

Post by Shappo » 08 Apr 2018, 22:25

If you aren't looking to spend much the original Pixel XL is still an amazing phone + has an audio jack. They are cheap now and not really that different from the Pixel 2 (I've owned both phones).
Edit: Plus it comes with pure android - not all that Samsung bloatware. It is definitely fits the title of an iPhone killer :thumbup:
Sadowsky MV4, Squire Affinity Jazz - Fender TV15

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 09 Apr 2018, 08:45

The Sony cameras are very good - I'm happy with my Xperia XZ, although I think this year's new model may not come with a headphone jack (but if that's the case I understand they come with a USB-C adapter for headphones).

Sony's Android is almost plain vanilla too - no unnecessary bloatware.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Wrenn

Post by Wrenn » 09 Apr 2018, 09:12

Gooooooooooo Samsung S9+ hehe
Band: PLATFORM http://www.facebook.com/PlatformBandSydney
Basses: LEJ 5/24
Head: Glockenklang Blue Soul/ Cab: Schroeder 1212
Combo: Hartke Kickback KB12

cleary

Post by cleary » 09 Apr 2018, 09:41

I have no idea how these compare to iphone, but my recent experience:
Samsung S7
My favourite phone of the moment - it's a plain flat screen, medium sized, good camera, just very functional. I've deployed this as our current gen fleet phone at work

Samsung S8/plus
The good:
* great camera and hardware specs,
The bad:
* it's _very_ delicate, get a case (this detracts from the nice design, but ... this is a device to use, not admire)
* let down by the dedicated Bixby button (samsung voice assistant which I don't use - you can't remap the button without signing up for a Samsung account, which I also refuse to do)
* There was a feature on the S7 where you could detect if it was in your pocket when the front button was pressed, the button got removed for the S8, along with this feature, but I still find it frequently comes on in my pocket

The "S8+/plus" is a bigger version of the S8, too big for my taste.

Samsung Note 8
This is very popular with our exec team -
The good:
* hardware/specs/build quality
* great dual lens camera, 27mm and 50mm equivalent lens'
* stylus (if you like that sort of thing)
* big (if you like that sort of thing)
The bad:
* big (if you don't like that sort of thing)
* delicate again - if you purchased before October 31 2017, Samsung offered a free screen replacement (required registration)

Huawei P9/P10/Mate 10 pro
No direct experience, but my wife is looking at these to replace her old Samsung Note Edge. Features/build quality seem excellent for the price, interesting camera layout which includes a colour and black and white only sensor - it's my guess that for normal shooting they use the lower megapixel count of the colour sensor (12Mp) for improved ISO performance, and blend the higher megapixel b&w sensor (20Mp) output for increased dynamic range.

In short, I'm a practical guy - the beautiful designs coming out look great, but I don't want bigger (Note 8), I don't want smoother (the S8 literally kept sliding off my bedside table), I don't want manufacturer specific gimmicks (bixby/s-voice/samsung pay).
By the same token, I don't want bulky - the Samsung S7 nailed it for my money.

Side note, if you have a hosted Google domain for Business, Google's Mobile Device Management has come a long way recently, and it's possible to blacklist the pre-installed crud that every manufacturer feels they need to pollute the phone with. For $50/yr per account, it's almost worth the money just for that capability...
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

hamo

Post by hamo » 09 Apr 2018, 11:40

I have the Samsung S7 and I will be looking at a different phone come contract renewal. Not liking the bloatware and pop up ads at all.
Leaning toward a Pixel or a Huawei P10 atm
Sadowsky MV4-HPJ | Lakland USA Duck Dunn #13 | Genz Benz STM900 | Berg AE212 | Eden XLT210 | Aguilar TLC Compressor | Aguilar Octamiser | Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Envelope Filter

Steve77

Post by Steve77 » 09 Apr 2018, 17:34

Also check out the LG V30+. I bought one from JB-HIFI and have been very happy with it. Got it over the Pixel 2 for my needs.
Dingwall Combustion NG-2, Status S2 Graphite, EBMM SR4 30th Ann, Greco T Bird, Ibanez SR500, B|AMP, Berg HD212, Brisbane covers band: http://www.anthologys.com.au

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 09 Apr 2018, 17:39

I had a Huawei P8 and while it was good for the price, it had a bastardised version of Android, and it was full of bloatware. The camera was very ordinary. After 2 years, the Wi-Fi just suddenly stopped working. I hope the later versions sorted these problems out.

I replaced it with a Samsung S6 and I'm still using it now. My only complaint is the bloat. Other than that, it's great. So is my ex wife's S7 and her brothers S8. I'm pretty sure my next phone still be a Samsung, but I must admit the bloat-free options mentioned here could possibly tempt me.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 09 Apr 2018, 19:39

S8 here. Very good. But dunno just HOW much 'better' than the S7 etc.. in my opinion, the S7 did everything that I needed (I only 'upgraded' as I gave my old S7 to my daughter). My S8 has a headphone jack... no 'audio' Jack, a TB'er recently said the headphone jack has input capabilities???? Sounds as fishy as a P with rounds and no tort ;-)
All in all. I woulda/ coulda kept my S7 or even S6 happily and it'd surely done all I needed it to.
One thing this S8 does well for me, is the voice activated Google stuff. I can be driving and say 'ok Google' & it'll ask me what I want etc. That's handy for me.
In saying that... I'm not 100% sure that the S7 wouldn't have done it too..
I ALWAYS have a wallet style case for em... I've experienced a broken screen b4.... and don't wanna fork out for this again. The wallet style cases keep it all protected nicely for me
Mean & Surly

packrat

Post by packrat » 09 Apr 2018, 20:31

There are trrs connectors which do a mic too. See the Apple headphones for an example.

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 10 Apr 2018, 06:50

:thumbup:
Mean & Surly

Phatbass

Post by Phatbass » 30 Apr 2018, 16:15

Just an update. At the moment I'm very seriously considering just keeping the S7. Very tempted by the S9+, but it doesn't seem to be enough of a step up. Being objective, the S7 camera is "good enough", and how fast do you need a phone to be? I've never wished the processor was faster.
Phatbass

"Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 30 Apr 2018, 18:19

Phatbass wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 16:15
Just an update. At the moment I'm very seriously considering just keeping the S7. Very tempted by the S9+, but it doesn't seem to be enough of a step up.
And ya know what? They're no noticeable step up from my S6 to the now ex-wife's S7. So we've basically gone from S6 to S9 with hardly any changes. Are they releasing too many "new" models too soon?
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 30 Apr 2018, 19:06

Petebass wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 18:19
Phatbass wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 16:15
Just an update. At the moment I'm very seriously considering just keeping the S7. Very tempted by the S9+, but it doesn't seem to be enough of a step up.
And ya know what? They're no noticeable step up from my S6 to the now ex-wife's S7. So we've basically gone from S6 to S9 with hardly any changes. Are they releasing too many "new" models too soon?
Yes
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex