VW Golf Gti

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
Heath

VW Golf Gti

Post by Heath » 21 Feb 2018, 06:59

hey guys, scoping out a new car soon, selling the patrol and ive seriously got my eyes on a vw gti golf (most likely the new original 2 door) and i already have a good idea to actually fit anything in it id have to fold down the back seats, even in my ex-wifes corolla id have to fold down the back seat to fit just one of my TC Rs212's, and just curious as to if anyone on here has a new (mk7-7.5) golf and what they can fit in theirs? id rather not sell the NV412 :D
Cole Clarke LL5, Yamaha 425x, Warwick Corvette5, Fender CS 57P, Musicman Sabre, Sandberg Ida
Amps: Markbass, Epifani, Tc, Bergantino

http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band

tearalong

Re: VW Golf Gti

Post by tearalong » 21 Feb 2018, 08:51

I have a 2013 Mk7 Golf TDI. It has a little less room than my previous Mk5 had but still pretty good. I use either an old style Schroeder 21015L which is a little smaller than a typical quad box, or a Schroeder 1210 plus a Berg HDN12. In both cases I also have a small carry-on type suitcase with amp and cables etc

The key measurement is the depth of the cabs
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

basshack

Post by basshack » 21 Feb 2018, 08:55

I don't have any experience with the Golf but when I buy a new car I take my gear with me in the old one and see if it fits. I made the mistake once of not doing that and had to buy a new speaker cab because the boot looked big enough but the angle wasn't right. I loved the idea of having a mini wagon too but no it just didn't fit the gear I used to carry. You'd be amazed at what I could fit into my old Subaru wagon for lugging to GTG's.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 21 Feb 2018, 08:56

I have a Skoda Octavia RS162 wagon. Has the GTI engine, the big boot space and is a similar price to a Golf GTI. I love it!!

I can get a 2x12 cab, two lunchbox amps, two bags with cables, effects, tools etc, and two electric basses in the boot and still pull the boot cover over the top of that gear to hide it from view.
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Univox basses
Genz Benz, Tech 21, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

slave

Post by slave » 21 Feb 2018, 09:14

Yeah I've had my eye on one of these for a while. They're pretty quick!

I don't own one - but I used to drive a Renault Clio Cup. Sold it a couple years ago.
It's a smaller coupe, not as powerful, but handles unbelievably well - like it's on rails. I used to eat up Porsche's, WRX Sti's, Commodore SS's and almost anything else around the twisty parts of Wanneroo raceway.... until I got to the straights, then the more powerful cars would gallop away. The only car I couldn't catch round the twisty bits was a certain supercharged Lotus Elise. :hmm FWIW, the Cup was standard except for a computer upgrade, better brakes & sticky tyres.
Some of the Golf GTi's were great fun to play with. They were a little quicker in a straight line, but almost as quick in the corners, so it was a real battle to catch them.

The Cup could fold the back seats down and fit (my) NV412 easily. A citroen c4 and Honda Jazz can do it too.
It was a little more difficult getting in and out of the Clio, as the top edge at the rear of the car and the boot floor aren't level like a Commodore wagon. I used a large thick rubbery mat to try and protect the tail of the Clio, but after a while I still ended up pinching and cutting some of the rubbers.
This didn't seem like a problem, until you're sitting still idling - you get to smell exhaust seeping thru the dead rubbers from the rear of the car....
I don't know the Golf Gti that well, so I don't know if this is relevant?

Heath

Post by Heath » 21 Feb 2018, 09:26

haha all good, the new RS megane's look awesome too, i used to have a 2001 2 door barina and could fit my old peavey 215 (just) in with the back seats down and the nv is not as tall as that was so i think it may work....

i love the R36 passat, but they're just getting a little too on now, 220kw in an AWD v6 wagon aww yeah

the new Skoda RS245 Wagons look very nice too

my mother is trying to push me towards a touareg, and they're beautiful cars to drive, but kinda negates downsizing from the patrol, im the only person in my family that doesnt have a VW, my parents have a touareg and 3 kombi's between them, one of my sisters has a 2016 beetle, my other sister has a mk4 golf and my brother has a 2005 beetle
Cole Clarke LL5, Yamaha 425x, Warwick Corvette5, Fender CS 57P, Musicman Sabre, Sandberg Ida
Amps: Markbass, Epifani, Tc, Bergantino

http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band

victim

Post by victim » 21 Feb 2018, 09:51

My previous vehicle was a mk6 golf GTI, and I used to fit my swr golight 4x10, head and pedal board all in the rear luggage area without having to fold the rear seats down! I believe the mk7 is a slightly different layout, and your 4x12 would certainly be bigger, but I don't imagine it would be a problem with the rear seats folded down.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 21 Feb 2018, 09:52

I rented a Skoda Superb wagon over Christmas when I was in Perth - enormous boot and a good drive. It wasn't the high performance version but I was more impressed than I expected with the overall quality and driving experience.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 21 Feb 2018, 11:16

One thing to note when checking the rear space of the Golf, the floor can be made to sit at 2 different levels. The default is the higher level to minimise the boot lip but the lover level gives you about an extra 75-100mm
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 21 Feb 2018, 11:36

Heath wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 09:26

i love the R36 passat, but they're just getting a little too on now, 220kw in an AWD v6 wagon aww yeah
My understanding is the Octavia and Passatt are the same car with different badges and a few changes to make them a little less identical. So yeah, I second Maxgroover's suggestion .......... I had both these cars shortlisted when I bought my last car. I was having trouble finding any good used ones for sale in my area, and there was a VW electronics scandal at the time, then an emissions scandal, so I baulked but I'm still thinking about these as options for next time.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

brooksi

Post by brooksi » 22 Feb 2018, 07:37

Petebass wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 11:36
Heath wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 09:26

My understanding is the Octavia and Passatt are the same car with different badges and a few changes to make them a little less identical. So yeah, I second Maxgroover's suggestion .......... I had both these cars shortlisted when I bought my last car. I was having trouble finding any good used ones for sale in my area, and there was a VW electronics scandal at the time, then an emissions scandal, so I baulked but I'm still thinking about these as options for next time.
I own a 2010 Passat wagon with the dsg gear box top fun from a stand still . if you need parts they are a bit pricy but you buy skoda parts LOL .im selling mine as im down sizing .To a zook 4wd :yep
Dream as if you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.