Renting and living in Sydney

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
ozrider

Renting and living in Sydney

Post by ozrider » 25 Jan 2018, 13:57

Hello folks,

I am considering a job in the Sydney CBD at the moment. One of the things that is going to weigh on my decision is renting affordably and length of my commute to the city. I've just been looking at rentals in suburbs of Sydney and it looks like prices are totally insane!

I would love any advice on suburbs that are safe and affordable, on a train line maybe or near a beach even. I'm interested in a 2 bedroom apartment or similar.

Thanks folks!

packrat

Re: Renting and living in Sydney

Post by packrat » 25 Jan 2018, 14:09

The light rail provides a nice way to the south city with better connection coming. Glebe,Annandale likyfield etc are all nice. Train lines works, buses are less ideal.

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 25 Jan 2018, 14:45

packrat wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 14:09
The light rail provides a nice way to the south city with better connection coming. Glebe,Annandale likyfield etc are all nice. Train lines works, buses are less ideal.
thanks, very helpful, Glebe looks nice - I can cycle to work from there too

packrat

Post by packrat » 25 Jan 2018, 14:52

You can walk from Glebe. If you cycle you can be further out, Lilyfield etc are all easy via Anzac bridge.

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 25 Jan 2018, 16:26

what about areas like coogee? IS tat a bit like St Kilda?

Wrenn

Post by Wrenn » 25 Jan 2018, 16:33

ozrider wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 16:26
what about areas like coogee? IS tat a bit like St Kilda?
Based on my limited interstate experience, it's more like Altona.
Band: PLATFORM http://www.facebook.com/PlatformBandSydney
Basses: LEJ 5/24
Head: Glockenklang Blue Soul/ Cab: Schroeder 1212
Combo: Hartke Kickback KB12

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 25 Jan 2018, 16:37

Don't want to be too near the bassgeardirect headquarters of GAS either

Wrenn

Post by Wrenn » 25 Jan 2018, 17:42

ozrider wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 16:37
Don't want to be too near the bassgeardirect headquarters of GAS either
George is about 30mins by car from the city. I've only been there twice but every time I get out the door I take a gear home with me :cry :rolf:
Band: PLATFORM http://www.facebook.com/PlatformBandSydney
Basses: LEJ 5/24
Head: Glockenklang Blue Soul/ Cab: Schroeder 1212
Combo: Hartke Kickback KB12

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 29 Jan 2018, 18:24

Any other sydney-siders got some tips?

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 29 Jan 2018, 21:53

I have no experience renting in Sydney, I'll start by saying that. However, I have noticed that a LOT of people pay silly money for not very amazing positions. Seem to be bargains to be had if you keep your eyes open. For instance, I have friends who live around the corner (a long way out) and friends who live 30 min closer to the city, both still in the western suburbs. You would think those closer to the city would pay more, but they don't. They rent in the two suburbs is virtually identical. The other being, there are a shed-load of inner city apartments that are empty. Pretty soon a bunch will come onto the market.

The other thing to suggest is share houses. I know that can sounds scary, but my sis-in-law and her husband both lived in share houses for about a decade before they got together and got married. Worked really well for them. He's a muso and they loved it. Except for having kids and needing a house, they'd probably still live in a share house.

Sydney has also had an abundance of granny flats go up all over the place. This can be pretty great too depending on the location/state of the granny flat. Avoid grumpy old land lords.

Keep your wits about you, but it's definitely doable. I think a lot of us are just a bit precious about what we'll accept with regard to location. Sydney is notoriously tribal and snobby... that includes reverse snobbery from the rougher spots.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 30 Jan 2018, 09:18

Without knowing your rental budget it's difficult to give much advice. Will you have family with you? Because a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment will obviously be more expensive, with 3 affordable bedroom places almost impossible to find close to the CBD. Anything on a train line will be more expensive, because that's what everybody wants (especially the demographic who aren't wedded to owning a car like most Aussies are). Living near the beach will always be more expensive too, unless you go further north to say Narrabeen/Dee Why (but then a long bus ride is your only option) or south to Cronulla. Maroubra may still be reasonably affordable in the eastern suburbs, but again, no train.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 30 Jan 2018, 09:31

Aussie Mark wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 09:18
Without knowing your rental budget it's difficult to give much advice. Will you have family with you? Because a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment will obviously be more expensive, with 3 affordable bedroom places almost impossible to find close to the CBD. Anything on a train line will be more expensive, because that's what everybody wants (especially the demographic who aren't wedded to owning a car like most Aussies are). Living near the beach will always be more expensive too, unless you go further north to say Narrabeen/Dee Why (but then a long bus ride is your only option) or south to Cronulla. Maroubra may still be reasonably affordable in the eastern suburbs, but again, no train.
At this stage, I'm setting the budget at max $700 a week for a 2 bed unit. This is an insane amount of money in my opinion, but I can't seem to find anything within 30mins of the city for much less. I'm not interested in a long commute. I'm just trying at this stage to factor in costs of living differences between Perth and Sydney. Right now that's looking like around at least a 30,000 per annum salary difference just to live modestly in Sydney compared to Perth :crazy:

packrat

Post by packrat » 30 Jan 2018, 09:43

The price is compensated by Sydney weather being worse. :)

jamiesdad

Post by jamiesdad » 30 Jan 2018, 09:58

2+ beds < 700 pw across Sydney. Zoom in to around Chatswood (North), Homebush (West), gives you an approx 30min commute (bus / train / ferry)

https://www.domain.com.au/rent/?bedroom ... 8782209473
Friendly Forum Mod

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 30 Jan 2018, 10:00

^^ $700pw?? Wow that's unbelievable. I have a 2 story house on a quater acre - mortgage is $300pw. 8/
Warwick SS2, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda