What do you guys ship your basses in?

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
Phil
Site Admin

What do you guys ship your basses in?

Post by Phil » 28 Nov 2008, 14:06

Out of curiosity, what do you guys use to ship your basses in?
Hardcase, gigbag?
How many layers or cardboard between the bass and the rest of the world?
Where do you by the boxes? Do you make them?

Yeah lots of questions but I need to figure that stuff out :P

Aussie Mark

Re: What do you guys ship your basses in?

Post by Aussie Mark » 28 Nov 2008, 15:25

Depends.

If the buyer wants the hard case then it ships in the case, with extra padding inside the case if the bass isn't a totally snug fit. I also put a layer of thin cardboard between the strings and fingerboard to prevent string gouging the board if it takes a hit. I then put the hard case in a factory bass guitar box (I usually have a few old ones in the garage) or make a box from other boxes. I pad the space between the case and the box with bubble wrap or screwed up balls of newspaper. The main thing is to prevent movement of the bass in the hard case and the case in the box. I'm sure if you hung around the back alley way of your local music shop you'd find plenty of suitable boxes (or ask the shop if they have some they are throwing out - every guitar/bass they receive from the distributor or manufacturer comes in a box, so there's a tonne of them sitting around being unused or thrown out with the rubbish). The boxes that disassembled bicycles are delivered to cycle shops in are also good.

If I am shipping a bolt on neck bass overseas without a hard case I will unbolt the neck and ship it in a smaller box, with the neck and body wrapped in bubble wrap or old towels/pillow cases , and the box padded out with additional bubble wrap or newspaper. Saves on shipping costs and is far safer than shipping in one piece.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 28 Nov 2008, 15:37

Thanks for your tips Mark, anyone else?

Have anyone ever shipped a bass only in a gigbag, what did you do to protect it?

Another question, which courier do you take for australia wide bass delivery and what can I expect for prices to ship one bass?

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 28 Nov 2008, 16:12

AS AUSSIE MARK does.
Mean & Surly

thenosebleedkid

Post by thenosebleedkid » 28 Nov 2008, 16:33

Phil wrote:Thanks for your tips Mark, anyone else?

Have anyone ever shipped a bass only in a gigbag, what did you do to protect it?
Surrounded by bubble wrap and a cardboard box on the outside.
Another question, which courier do you take for australia wide bass delivery and what can I expect for prices to ship one bass?
I used pack and send, pretty cheap, worked for me no issues. I can't remember the price off the top of my head though!

ScottyBoy

Post by ScottyBoy » 28 Nov 2008, 16:56

I got a warwick once straight from the Germany factory in its gig bag - it was in a box that had great support just carboard as though the gigbag was suspended in the box - their gig bags have a lot of padding mind you. SO Warwick dont mind sending international in gigbag and cardboard box.

When I sold it (as what happens with most warwicks - jokes) i didnt have the original so i went to pack and send - they custom built a box for the gigbag and was very well done - wasnt cheap though.

Ive had neck taken off the bass and sent to me in cardboard boxes with padding etc and have not have a problem.

thenosebleedkid

Post by thenosebleedkid » 28 Nov 2008, 17:10

Oh, also (seems like common sense but I'll say it anyway) go nuts with the thickest, most durable tape you've got.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 28 Nov 2008, 21:16

Phil wrote: which courier do you take for australia wide bass delivery and what can I expect for prices to ship one bass?
I use smartsend.com.au, who are associated with Allied Couriers. Australia wide for a bass is $50 or less, door to door with signed delivery, and you can make the pickup booking online and prepay via Paypal. After you pay you receive an email with the consignment paperwork attached ready to print out, and all you do is tape the printed form to the package and the bloke rocks up at the prearranged time to pick up your parcel - easy as pie. There is no insurance, so for high value items that is something you would need to arrange separately.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

ScottyBoy

Post by ScottyBoy » 29 Nov 2008, 00:17

oh sweet ! I did not know about smartsend - i will use them in the future if I ever sell a bass again!
Aussie Mark wrote:
Phil wrote: which courier do you take for australia wide bass delivery and what can I expect for prices to ship one bass?
I use smartsend.com.au, who are associated with Allied Couriers. Australia wide for a bass is $50 or less, door to door with signed delivery, and you can make the pickup booking online and prepay via Paypal. After you pay you receive an email with the consignment paperwork attached ready to print out, and all you do is tape the printed form to the package and the bloke rocks up at the prearranged time to pick up your parcel - easy as pie. There is no insurance, so for high value items that is something you would need to arrange separately.