Health Goals for 2018

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
Aussie Mark

Re: Health Goals for 2018

Post by Aussie Mark » 03 Oct 2018, 19:54

sloth wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 10:15
My doc is investigating my elevated calcium level. He mentioned a parathyroidectomy which sounds scary. Has anybody here had this procedure?
Not quite, but I know a bit about it. The parathyroid is attached to the thyroid, and as you probably know, regulates the storage of calcium in the body. When I had my cancerous thyroid removed they kept the parathyroid and had to "plant" it in the adjoining tissue, and then I had to supplement calcium for a couple of weeks until the parathyroid adjusted to its new location and started doing its job again.

I imagine that having the parathyroid removed would be a similar procedure to a thyroidectomy, and after the operation you would merely need to supplement calcium on a daily basis, just as I am taking thyroid hormone daily for the rest of my life.

In terms of the op itself, it involves a general anaesthetic and an incision at the base of the neck (you can only see my 5cm scar if I point it out - my surgeon did a great job). The surgery itself is reasonably complex given they need to get behind your carotid artery, vocal chords and larynx - I think my surgery took 3 hours. The good news is that you'll be out of hospital within 24 hours and after a few days rest will be as good as new.

Risks as described to me were minimal - a small percentage of patients experience a change in their voice due to damage to the vocal chords, but that's the only risk apart from the usual risks of general anaesthetic and major surgery.

Hope this helps! Geoff (Redvee) has also had a thyroidectomy and can weigh in if I've missed any important details.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

sloth

Post by sloth » 04 Oct 2018, 11:47

Aussie Mark wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 19:54
sloth wrote:
My doc is investigating my elevated calcium level. He mentioned a parathyroidectomy which sounds scary. Has anybody here had this procedure?
Not quite, but I know a bit about it. The parathyroid is attached to the thyroid, and as you probably know, regulates the storage of calcium in the body. When I had my cancerous thyroid removed they kept the parathyroid and had to "plant" it in the adjoining tissue, and then I had to supplement calcium for a couple of weeks until the parathyroid adjusted to its new location and started doing its job again.

I imagine that having the parathyroid removed would be a similar procedure to a thyroidectomy, and after the operation you would merely need to supplement calcium on a daily basis, just as I am taking thyroid hormone daily for the rest of my life.

In terms of the op itself, it involves a general anaesthetic and an incision at the base of the neck (you can only see my 5cm scar if I point it out - my surgeon did a great job). The surgery itself is reasonably complex given they need to get behind your carotid artery, vocal chords and larynx - I think my surgery took 3 hours. The good news is that you'll be out of hospital within 24 hours and after a few days rest will be as good as new.

Risks as described to me were minimal - a small percentage of patients experience a change in their voice due to damage to the vocal chords, but that's the only risk apart from the usual risks of general anaesthetic and major surgery.

Hope this helps! Geoff (Redvee) has also had a thyroidectomy and can weigh in if I've missed any important details.
Ok it sounds fairly straightforward from what you're saying, although I'm still not a big fan of sharp instruments.....I wonder if a change in voice would result in being able to sing in key for once?

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 08 Oct 2018, 12:17

Brilliant discussion on Cholesterol.....

Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

basshack

Post by basshack » 09 Oct 2018, 09:24

Salads are my friend, salads are my friend... if I keep repeating it long enough do you think I'll believe it?

Got back into the Azola to stretch my fingers again, taking up Michaels suggestion.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

drbass

Post by drbass » 09 Oct 2018, 10:21

basshack wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 09:24
Salads are my friend, salads are my friend... if I keep repeating it long enough do you think I'll believe it?

Got back into the Azola to stretch my fingers again, taking up Michaels suggestion.
;) :D

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 09 Oct 2018, 17:12

Anyone ever experience a pinched nerve from a herniated or bulging disc?

I feel really fortunate that I'm 90% better now without any surgery and that I only had to endure debilitating pain for a short time (about 10 days).

Things I learned...
1) If you have a nerve issue, you MUST rest it
2) Your nerves NEED sleep for you to heal properly
3) Be patient, but persistent in your rehabilitation... Nerves take time.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

cleary

Post by cleary » 10 Oct 2018, 12:29

It wasn't a goal I'd planned for myself, but a couple of mates and I participated in the Gears and Beers festival in Wagga the other week - took the middling course at 50kms (30 was too short, 130 was waaay too long), and had a pretty good time. Didn't do nearly enough preparation, but managed to survive nonetheless pushing my heavy mountain bike around the course.

We're in the process of trying to decide if we want to take the earlybird discount for the 130km one next year... it'd be nice to have a goal to work towards
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

We_r_Me

Post by We_r_Me » 11 Oct 2018, 07:41

sloth wrote:
For a second opinion why don't you consider going to see a good naturopath? Take the test results and anything the doctor might have said, and see what they say. They're generally excellent with dietary issues whereas doctors are notoriously useless.

I'd recommend looking at natural solutions before going under the knife and needing to take meds for the rest of your life. What have you got to loose by trying a natural solution?

I'd also vouch for the effectiveness of Chinese medicine. 7,000 years of research speaks volumes. They're light years ahead of western medicine.

All the best

packrat

Post by packrat » 11 Oct 2018, 08:17

Tigers and rhinos would strongly disagree with that. I prefer evidence based medicine.

We_r_Me

Post by We_r_Me » 11 Oct 2018, 09:19

Hmm.... do you think 7,000 years of evidence is 'not evidence'?

Personally, I wouldn't limit my choices if there was a possibility I had to undergo serious medical procedures.

Each to their own.

packrat

Post by packrat » 11 Oct 2018, 10:19

7000 years is vastlyoverstating things, the age isn’t meaningfully different to things we picked up from Greek medicine, tiger penis and rhino horn are pretty good points against. Aspirin is a thing yes. And there’s a really really good reason why you need double blind trials to actually verify something works better than placebo.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 11 Oct 2018, 12:47

packrat wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 10:19
........And there’s a really really good reason why you need double blind trials to actually verify something works better than placebo.
Agreed. But the process is flawed. At present the corporation seeking approval has to pay handsomely for it, which of course they will only do if there is an expected financial return. That immediately knocks out any sort of trials on anything that people can get a hold of without going to a shop and paying for it.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

packrat

Post by packrat » 11 Oct 2018, 14:06

Not really. Aspirin is a big business and you can find willow trees all over. Taking something easily available and figuring out a nice trusted delivery system and dosage etc for it is exactly why there’s research into e.g. turmeric extracts.

It’s true that big Pharma don’t tend to chase these because they spend their time in their patented chemical libraries instead, but a large fraction of interest drug discovery is done by small non commercial researchers who are happy to to digging through this stuff because they want to find something novel and publishable.

And we get more live tigers and rhinos and that’s a good thing.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 11 Oct 2018, 16:11

Thread closed temporarily.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 12 Oct 2018, 08:51

Reopened