Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
Petebass

Re: Health Goals for 2018

Post by Petebass » 03 Aug 2018, 12:48

Aussie Mark wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 11:23
Aussie Mark wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 10:46
I popped my radioactive iodine capsule yesterday - no need to spend 3 days in a lead lined room this time, as the dose is very small. Just need to keep away from pregnant women and babies for a few days this time. I have the scan tomorrow.
Heard back from my endocrinologist this week to let me know the scan results were "normal", which means there is no remaining thyroid tissue, which by definition means that my thyroid cancer won't recur. So, I can tick that type of cancer off the list :thumbup:
Good stuff mark! One less thing to worry about.

Which reminds me, I managed to jump through the required hoops and get the Shingles vaccination yesterday. I also no longer have to worry about it .... for 5 years anyway. I might need a booster then, depending on how my immune system is performing at the time. That's a massive load off my shoulders let me tell ya!!!
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 03 Aug 2018, 13:34

I’m off to a compounding chemist tomorrow
for some iodine drops. I have to take 3 drops each morning in water or apple juice for 10 days prior to my thyroid op.
It is to calm down the left side (with the ever growing nodule) that is running hot. The isthmus and right side are doing bugger all and are ‘cold’.
Getting close now.
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

brooksi

Post by brooksi » 11 Aug 2018, 07:59

Well the news is not good, maybe 3yrs if im lucky,Its spreading through my liver,and even with chemo its not a very good outcome .
Last edited by brooksi on 11 Aug 2018, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
Dream as if you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.
Powered by Pals, Motivated by Mates.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 11 Aug 2018, 09:29

brooksi wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 07:59
Well the news is not good, maybe 3yrs if im lucky,Its spreading through my liver,and even with its not a very good outcome .
Stay strong Brooksi, be positive and keep fighting the good fight. And keep posting in the Funny thread - always great value

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 11 Aug 2018, 12:00

brooksi wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 07:59
Well the news is not good, maybe 3yrs if im lucky,Its spreading through my liver,and even with its not a very good outcome .
Sorry to hear that mate. Please keep us up to date with how you're going. Happy to help in any way possible.

Our love and support to you and your family, from all the fellas here on OzBass.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

brooksi

Post by brooksi » 15 Aug 2018, 17:19

start chemo tomorrow,what a life changing day I hope

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 15 Aug 2018, 17:33

brooksi wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 17:19
start chemo tomorrow,what a life changing day I hope
Best of luck to you mate. I hope the side effects don't hit you too hard.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

brooksi

Post by brooksi » 28 Aug 2018, 09:33

Well I saw a surgeon yesterday, he's words were if we operate on your liver cancer you will die on the table. Go and enjoy your life to the max.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 30 Sep 2018, 10:37

Oils ain't oils - how the ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 oils in our Western diets affects us.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12442909/
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 02 Oct 2018, 09:37

BassLine wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 10:37
Oils ain't oils - how the ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 oils in our Western diets affects us.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12442909/
That's some amazing info in there, scary even. But here's the thing - quitting sugar is way too hard for most people, but I found it WWAAAAYYYY easier than quitting Omega 6 oils. They are everywhere.

veebass

Post by veebass » 02 Oct 2018, 09:44

Petebass wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 12:48
Aussie Mark wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 11:23
Aussie Mark wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 10:46
I popped my radioactive iodine capsule yesterday - no need to spend 3 days in a lead lined room this time, as the dose is very small. Just need to keep away from pregnant women and babies for a few days this time. I have the scan tomorrow.
Heard back from my endocrinologist this week to let me know the scan results were "normal", which means there is no remaining thyroid tissue, which by definition means that my thyroid cancer won't recur. So, I can tick that type of cancer off the list :thumbup:
Good stuff mark! One less thing to worry about.

Which reminds me, I managed to jump through the required hoops and get the Shingles vaccination yesterday. I also no longer have to worry about it .... for 5 years anyway. I might need a booster then, depending on how my immune system is performing at the time. That's a massive load off my shoulders let me tell ya!!!
I don't visit this thread often- I try not to think about last year's brush with cancer too much.
Great news boys!
Keep up the fight, Brooksi.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

basshack

Post by basshack » 02 Oct 2018, 14:50

Another 15kg down is the target for the next 6 months. I bit the bullet and have been to a dietician and worked out why I wasn't getting anywhere and I was just eating too much. Sounds silly but I had cut out take-aways, sugar drinks, chocolate etc. I was doing sort of ok I thought and was fitter than last year but when we walked through it my plate sizes were too big. So what goes onto my plate is now compared to the size of my hand and restricted to numbers of serves per day. 1/2 of the plate has to be veggies or salads, 1/4 plate is grains, pasta or potatoes and the other 1/4 meat, eggs or fish basically. The plate size is my outstretched hand rather than the physical size of the plate. Oh and there is no folding the schnitzel so it fits in the space required and she wants photo evidence at next weeks appointment.

Does anyone know of any stretching exercises for your hand?
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

drbass

Post by drbass » 02 Oct 2018, 14:56

basshack wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 14:50
Another 15kg down is the target for the next 6 months. I bit the bullet and have been to a dietician and worked out why I wasn't getting anywhere and I was just eating too much. Sounds silly but I had cut out take-aways, sugar drinks, chocolate etc. I was doing sort of ok I thought and was fitter than last year but when we walked through it my plate sizes were too big. So what goes onto my plate is now compared to the size of my hand and restricted to numbers of serves per day. 1/2 of the plate has to be veggies or salads, 1/4 plate is grains, pasta or potatoes and the other 1/4 meat, eggs or fish basically. The plate size is my outstretched hand rather than the physical size of the plate. Oh and there is no folding the schnitzel so it fits in the space required and she wants photo evidence at next weeks appointment.

Does anyone know of any stretching exercises for your hand?
See, Blaine, you shouldn't have started playing those short scale basses - no hand stretching at all ;) .

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 02 Oct 2018, 15:44

A couple of months ago, I suffered a rather "interesting" injury. The disc between by C5/C6 vertebrae bulged and impinged on the nerve root for my right arm.

The first week was extreme pain and it was rather crippling. I used Endone at night and Lyrica 3 times per day. Good stuff that Lyrica, and the Endone helped me sleep.

My physio informed me that 70% of her patients that have this type of issue end up having surgery... YIKES!

The next week, the pain subsided, but I had lost at least 40% of my strength in my right arm. Also, I had a distinct numbness in my right thumb (I use it as me "tell tale")

I returned to light weight training in the gym and felt like a weak goose. But I could still run, cycle and do pretty much everything with my legs.

As time went on, I started improving. I even cancelled an appointment with a neurosurgeon, as I could see no benefit in seeing him, if I had no pain and my weakness was also improving.

I received acupuncture treatments with the physio every week and am still continuing. The numbness in my thumb is almost completely subsided. I have ZERO pain. And I've regained at least 50% of the strength that I've lost and still feel like I'm improving rapidly.

I feel for ANYONE who suffers from chronic pain, and nerve pain especially.

So my current goals are to completely recover, I don't care how long it takes... I will... I AM!
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

sloth

Post by sloth » 03 Oct 2018, 10:15

My doc is investigating my elevated calcium level. He mentioned a parathyroidectomy which sounds scary. Has anybody here had this procedure?