Vintage Fender Pickup Wiring

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
Boopbohead

Vintage Fender Pickup Wiring

Post by Boopbohead » 15 Aug 2018, 22:05

Hi bass lovers,
Over the years I've acquired a 1973 Fender Telecaster Humbucker aka Mudbucker and a pair of 1967 Jazz Bass pickups. So, I'm making myself a new bass to put them in, obviously with a vintage vibe. Now, electronics is not my forte, so I'm asking the brains trust if there is someone on this forum that can help my with my project. I want to keep the whole thing fairly simple: at this stage I'm thinking Volume, Tone and some sort of switch or knob to combine or isolate the pickups. Happy to pay for any work done. Thanks in advance.
A few photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/160167753 ... res/a5Vf4J
Kingy

noplanb

Re: Vintage Fender Pickup Wiring

Post by noplanb » 17 Aug 2018, 21:26

A start point might be a very simple VVVT - No switches.
You can use this diagram, but add a third pot with the bucker on it. Follow the pattern of the 2 J's
Are you going to have a mounting plate? Or go through the timber directly?
It is possible to use a standard J plate, use the 4 holes for the pots, then create a side entry in the body for the jack. That way it is possible for you or someone else to construct the plate with the pots and the jack, and then you just solder on the pickups.
I see..............basses!

Boopbohead

Post by Boopbohead » 19 Aug 2018, 11:38

Tremendous idea noplanb, makes sense. I'll be routing a cavity in the back and the pots go through the front, essentially can do the same as a jack plate.
What do you reckon, 250k or 500k pots?
Kingy

petersemple

Post by petersemple » 19 Aug 2018, 13:27

Personally, what I would do if I was doing what noplanb suggested is use 250K for the J pickups, and buy 250k and 500k pots for the bucker, with the idea of trying them both. I would then solder one of them into the bass, decide it was good enough, and never even try the option (which might be even better).
Basses: Wasburn Status 4, Fretless 4 made from parts, Fretted through neck 5 made by me
Amp: Eminar bass 400 into home made cab with JBL 15"

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 19 Aug 2018, 20:29

I found colour codes for the bucker wires. It has 2 coils, usually used in parallel:
Green = North Start
Red = North Finish
White = South Finish
Black = South Start
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/fender ... s.1272165/

Making impedances and volumes work together is trial and error, and I'd probably do the same as Peter.
The above thread wasn't bad in covering some of the issues - I was happy with the idea that putting the 2 coils of the bucker in parallel (native mode) is less dark/muddy than putting them in series.
If you wanted to experiment with things going in and out of phase between pickups, then you would add a phase-change switch to 2 of the pickups.
Note that the bucker is prob higher impedance than either of the J's so you may see an effect whereby if the bucker is turned up full, then a J wull 'steal' some tone - ie make the bucker quieter, as it is 'loading' it. When the volume is down a little on the bucker, it is the resistance of the vol pot that adds-in to stop the J loading the bucker so much. This is typical behaviour on things like EB3's where the bucker is high impednace (as well) and the small bridge pickup is lower impedance.
Last edited by noplanb on 21 Aug 2018, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
I see..............basses!

Boopbohead

Post by Boopbohead » 20 Aug 2018, 21:58

Thanks for the info fellas, I'm on the right path now. As things progress I'll keep you posted...
Kingy