NAD Wayne Jones pair 1x10s

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
mmw

NAD Wayne Jones pair 1x10s

Post by mmw » 08 Aug 2018, 20:42

Very happy with this setup. Best sounding Class D amp I have used so far. Only played at low volume and only with the Monique so far. I'll give it a run this weekend and see if it can keep up with the Glock rig.

I have to say, Wayne is a fantastic human being. A real pleasure to meet, talk gear, tone, and just soak up the passion he has for what he does.

There is a deal going for these, Australian customers only, for the pair of speakers for $1999. These are new cabs but in the older style carpet rather than the current vinyl, otherwise they are the same. I think there are 2 sets remaining.
Fodera Monarch 5 Deluxe; Jule Amps Monique; Glockenklang Bass Art; Wayne Jones; Acoustic Image;
Origin Effects/Eventide/Chunk Systems/FreeTheTone/Pete Cornish

basshack

Re: NAD Wayne Jones pair 1x10s

Post by basshack » 08 Aug 2018, 22:48

I was looking at those just last week for my church rig! Loose the 610 & Demeter, which is so overkill, and do what you’ve done. Great minds hey? My initial thought was for a Berg IP310 but I missed one for sale here last year. Just looking to simplify and still have a solid tone.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

mmw

Post by mmw » 09 Aug 2018, 08:42

Did you get a chance to try it? I only tested it in Wayne's studio so not really an opportunity to know how well it would do on an open stage. Doesn't sound like you can turn up very loud at church though, it would definitely be loud enough in that setting. Pairs very nicely with Monique :)

If it can provide the volume and guts that my Glock rig can produce it would be hard to justify keeping the Glock.
Fodera Monarch 5 Deluxe; Jule Amps Monique; Glockenklang Bass Art; Wayne Jones; Acoustic Image;

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 09 Aug 2018, 09:01

10s are always difficult to get the power-dissipation and cone excursion right, 'cos they are so small - not enough area for voice coil and suspension. I'm guessing they are set up with a low box tuning (& nice large box) meaning the excursion response continues way down below 40Hz - hence the HPF as part of the design. It also limits heating of the voice coil from stray LF transients. 500W is a lot for a 10! One assumes RMS.... Obviously its designed and marketed to meet that, so your performance findings will be interesting.
I see..............basses!

drbass

Post by drbass » 09 Aug 2018, 09:46

Interesting (but no I'm not interested).

Old person question: how heavy are they?

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

basshack

Post by basshack » 09 Aug 2018, 10:23

mmw wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 08:42
Did you get a chance to try it? I only tested it in Wayne's studio so not really an opportunity to know how well it would do on an open stage. Doesn't sound like you can turn up very loud at church though, it would definitely be loud enough in that setting. Pairs very nicely with Monique :)

If it can provide the volume and guts that my Glock rig can produce it would be hard to justify keeping the Glock.
Hi Michael,

No I haven't tried them just surfing for solutions. And yes I run the amp in it's 150W mode and even then it's hardly working so there is scope to go smaller. Same problem as you though, I have some nice gear so comparisons are difficult because we're talking about smaller percentages of difference. It'd have to be something special to knock off my Glock gear though.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

Barney

Post by Barney » 09 Aug 2018, 10:29

I've used the WJ 110 x2 rig at Birds Basement a few times. It def doesn't lack in vol for a small stack! From memory it has more thump than my old Berg HT112IP stack.

mmw

Post by mmw » 09 Aug 2018, 14:16

drbass wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 09:46
Interesting (but no I'm not interested).

Old person question: how heavy are they?

Regards,
Michael
From Wayne's site:
H 47cm W35cm D52cm
Weight
Active 18.2kg
Passive 17.2 kg

The shape of the boxes being relatively deep, with rhe position of the handles on the top means that lifting and moving them is okay but not ideal. But from a speaker design it makes perfect sense.
Barney wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 10:29
I've used the WJ 110 x2 rig at Birds Basement a few times. It def doesn't lack in vol for a small stack! From memory it has more thump than my old Berg HT112IP stack.
Good to know Barney. I was almost happy with that Berg IP rig but it didn't quite give me the volume and low end heft that I expected from a DSP tuned 1000W into 2x12. I suspect the cabs were smaller than they should have been. Maybe the bigger, extended range cabs would have been better but I never had the chance to try them. The Glock 220W into 1x15 destroys that setup btw. It must be very conservatively rated, and the cab is also very efficient.

Barney

Post by Barney » 09 Aug 2018, 20:41

Yeah, the berg IP112 stack was almost great, ha ha. Just missed the heft in the lower octaves.
The Glock 115 is an efficient cab, would love to hear it.

The Berg IP310 that sold last year was mine, now that cab moves serious air!!!! But the number of actual gigs i needed that volume on didn't warrant having it sit around most of the time except to impress other bass players when they came over. :-)