Coupling. How do you lay your cabs?

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
Bill Fitzmaurice

Re: Coupling. How do you lay your cabs?

Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » 23 Jul 2018, 11:56

slowlearner wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 10:31
bass alone is best left to the tech if there's a proper PA.
Usually, not always. I've heard techs who work for the band, and I mean top touring bands, who've totally butchered the bass. I've also hear FOH engineers who are nothing short of great. The latter, BTW, tend to be recording engineers and bass players, sometimes both.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 23 Jul 2018, 13:31

^ As per usual YMMV.

I've got a couple mates who are both recording and live sound techs. Neither are bass players, but are top of their game. They tell me a common problem they have is too much bass coming off the stage. That often ruins an otherwise great mix.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

Bill Fitzmaurice

Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » 23 Jul 2018, 22:00

More bass in the audience than on the stage is usually related to this:
https://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/view ... f=10&t=999

rev matt

Post by rev matt » 24 Jul 2018, 09:12

After my infamous dalliance with the force at a small Roselle pub where the resonant frequency from my cabs caused all the wine glasses above the bar in one corner to leap to their death and the TAB computer was trying to do the same thing, it got me thinking.
What sounds good to you when you are standing directly in front of the amp, or even beside it (not recommended), is probably not what the audience or your fellow band members are hearing.
I use a wireless set up for my bass and while I don't go wandering at gigs, I do wander around at rehearsals. The sound I hear from my 210 when I am in front of it is awesome, but when I walk over the other side of the room, it sounds tinny. This phenomenon is what I think Petebass is talking about.
It's worth experimenting with.
At rehearsals and smalle gigs, I use my 210 standing on its end. the last 2 gigs, I have used my 115 (on wheels) and the 210 stacked on top. These were outside gigs on concrete, so not a lot of resonance through the floor, a tiny bit of reflected sound from the walls that disappeared as the crowd grew.
Having fun is half the fun- Warwick Corvette $$ 4- Cort acoustic 4 - no name ebay special 5 (now fretless), Kala spruce fretless Ubass, Washburn M-3SWS mandolin , Ashbory and a 2001 LTD edition Warwick Thumb Fretless 4.