Acoustic amp choice... ?

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
brucebruce

Acoustic amp choice... ?

Post by brucebruce » 08 Jul 2018, 16:36

So I was lucky enough to pickup a fretless Rob Allen Mouse 30 from a friendly forum member recently and I'm keen to get a little amp (combo) with chorus and reverb built in and hopefully enough power to play in a band setting...

My premium choices are between the Mesa Rosette and the Genzler Acoustic Array Combo

Or if I spend a lot less... perhaps the Fishman Loudbox or the Ibanez Troubadour

What do people think - or am I wasting my time ? The premium choices will allow me to run the combos through a decent bass speaker cab if I need more push.
Super Hans: "Dude, that's not jam, that's just total f%#king marmalade."

BassLine

Re: Acoustic amp choice... ?

Post by BassLine » 08 Jul 2018, 16:47

I've tried dozens of amp/cab mixtures and combos. I'll PM you my phone number.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

basshack

Post by basshack » 08 Jul 2018, 22:05

I should bring you down my AI Flex to try. The Genzler has my interest too though.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

brucebruce

Post by brucebruce » 09 Jul 2018, 17:20

Tried a range of Phil Jones gear today... pretty amazing stuff. The cabs are incredible - but... I think I'm barking up the wrong tree. I really want that Mesa tone so something Mesa and modular might be the go and perhaps I'll just live with my Darkglass head paired with something of that nature...
Super Hans: "Dude, that's not jam, that's just total f%#king marmalade."

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 09 Jul 2018, 21:07

Maybe a Mesa Rosette preamp into your DG return? It should have a pretty uncoloured power section.
Warwick SS2, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

magicM

Post by magicM » 14 Jul 2018, 12:12

I play mainly double bass and find the Genzler Acoustic Array to be an awesome amp. Great EQ and tone. Plus can be mounted on speaker stand. Worth popping into George’s place for a tryout if you are in Sydney.

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 25 Jul 2018, 07:36

Haven't had a lot of experience with having to amplify Acoustic Bass, but I guess Upright is in a similar ballpark.

As far as a rig dedicated to Upright goes, I really like the Euphonic Audio gear. They do make a iAmp 350 Combo with a 10" speaker, although admittedly I've never tried one; I usually ran my iAmp through either EA or Epifani cabs for straight Upright gigs.

If you're looking to run both Electric Bass & Upright (or EUB) on the same gig, believe or not I found the Eden WT heads work really well. They're not exactly what you'd call transparent, but the colouration they do have works well for both camps.

As I said, these insights are based on Upright; so with Acoustic Bass, YMMV.
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass