Compressor Pedals?

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
slave

Re: Compressor Pedals?

Post by slave » 28 May 2018, 19:37

I own a Darkglass Super Symmetry & Empress.
I like the SS for bass, it imparts a slightly dark flavour cutting some of the higher treble content. I use a Rick 4003 as my main, so with the tone pots all the way open it keeps it all under control. With a regular 6-banger geetar, it gives a nice smooth dark tone - think 15 inch speakers, I like this one a lot, even tho it doesn't offer a lot of flexibility.
The empress is very very good, but to be honest I can't read it. Worst graphic design for colour blindness. I had my missus translate the controls for me....

bloodmason

Post by bloodmason » 28 May 2018, 22:13

I have an FEA labs dual band comp. I love it on guitar & bass. Good to compress there highs & lows seperately. Can also output signals seperately for other pedal use if that tickles your fancy.
www.facebook.com/EmergencyRule
www.facebook.com/CaptainHellfireBand
I actually play the skinny strings in Captain Hellfire.... please don't kick me out of the club :peep:

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 28 May 2018, 22:35

I have a Compressore. It works great. Has pretty much every control you could want in a compressor. One of the very few (possibly only?) pedal compressors with the compression done by tube (as opposed to the post compression gain stage I think). No idea how this makes it better or worse but it works.

Two downsides - it's HUGE (for a pedal) and needs 18V.
Mike
I'm a mean offloading machine!

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 29 May 2018, 09:22

DoctorJohn wrote:
27 May 2018, 14:45
$40 Joyo Dynacomp. Seems to do everything I need it to.
Did a bit of reading on this. Seems its the old Boss CS-1 circuit. Joyo seem to be doing a great job of repackaging old circuits. I recently bought their Tubescreamer knockoff after watching a bunch of comparos on youtube. Not disappointed at all. Works really well.

On a side note, my fave compressor is the 1 knob circuit on my Labsystems. I know it's not everyone's taste, but I would warn against studio quality/complexity comp pedals. In reality, most of us just don't need that level of adjustability. I used to own a Keeley 4 knob. Great comp, but I could never get the hang of everything because there was so much to mess with. Additionally, if you're saying, "but I'll use it for recording", most recording software has superior comp plugins, so save your money. ;)
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 29 May 2018, 09:39

slowlearner wrote:
29 May 2018, 09:22
DoctorJohn wrote:
27 May 2018, 14:45
$40 Joyo Dynacomp. Seems to do everything I need it to.
Did a bit of reading on this. Seems its the old Boss CS-1 circuit. Joyo seem to be doing a great job of repackaging old circuits. I recently bought their Tubescreamer knockoff after watching a bunch of comparos on youtube. Not disappointed at all. Works really well.

On a side note, my fave compressor is the 1 knob circuit on my Labsystems. I know it's not everyone's taste, but I would warn against studio quality/complexity comp pedals. In reality, most of us just don't need that level of adjustability. I used to own a Keeley 4 knob. Great comp, but I could never get the hang of everything because there was so much to mess with. Additionally, if you're saying, "but I'll use it for recording", most recording software has superior comp plugins, so save your money. ;)
Ah cool! I thought the Joyo was a Ross clone :-) I had one for a while and found it distorted a bit too much when I drove it too hard but for $40 - no complaints
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

Sandberg VS4, 57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, AG TH500, Bassman 115 Pro, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212

lepparda

Post by lepparda » 29 May 2018, 10:15

MXR M87. Simple, does the job.
Fender Jazz. Fender Precision. Musicman Stingray. Aguilar. Bergantino. MXR. Tech 21 Darkglass

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 29 May 2018, 12:31

None simpler than the TC spectracomp. I found it very useful for quick and easy dialling in on two of their amps, the pedal should do the same in theory. And it’s tiny! Still I do love the markbass compressore and what it does despite the size.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

jezzamac

Post by jezzamac » 29 May 2018, 12:36

narcdor wrote:
29 May 2018, 12:31
None simpler than the TC spectracomp. I found it very useful for quick and easy dialling in on two of their amps, the pedal should do the same in theory. And it’s tiny! Still I do love the markbass compressore and what it does despite the size.
I have a Spectracomp pedal. It is simple to operate - on/off and one control knob. On the other hand there is a wide range of presets that colour the sound and that are accessed through the Toneprint function.

You can also edit it with your computer but I have never opened that can of worms.
Fender '78 Precision, Squier CV Jazz, Maton JBIV, Ibanez SR405, G&L Tribute SB2, Ashbory and Markbass CMD121P, Fender Rumble V# 12" cab, GK 400RB, No-name 4x10 cab
funKtus, Samurai Trash, Exploding Happiness, Night Radio (no longer).

grooveinsyd

Post by grooveinsyd » 29 May 2018, 14:35

slave wrote:
28 May 2018, 19:37
I like the SS for bass, it imparts a slightly dark flavour cutting some of the higher treble content. I use a Rick 4003 as my main, so with the tone pots all the way open it keeps it all under control. With a regular 6-banger geetar, it gives a nice smooth dark tone - think 15 inch speakers, I like this one a lot, even tho it doesn't offer a lot of flexibility.
The empress is very very good, but to be honest I can't read it. Worst graphic design for colour blindness. I had my missus translate the controls for me....
I feel the same thing about empress, it's really hard to read. And this applies to all empress pedals. That's why the newer version of paraeq changed it to white font. But eventually I end up know them by heart, and the side-chain function is to die for, makes it even better for bass.
Sandberg VM Nighthawk; Stingray HH SLO; Dingwall ABZ;
Squier PJ w/Dimarzios & Flats; G&L USA L2K

Andrew92

Post by Andrew92 » 31 May 2018, 09:17

Empress comp

/thread.
https://www.facebook.com/anavarbandofficial
"Anabolic Australian Deathcore"
- Warwick Thumb Nt 5, Markbass TTE500/Rocker 500, Markbass Ninja 212, Darkglass, DR strings, Empress Comp | DSM Noisemaker Artist |

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 31 May 2018, 09:51

grooveinsyd wrote:
29 May 2018, 14:35
slave wrote:
28 May 2018, 19:37
I feel the same thing about empress, it's really hard to read. And this applies to all empress pedals. That's why the newer version of paraeq changed it to white font. But eventually I end up know them by heart, and the side-chain function is to die for, makes it even better for bass.
Yeah it took me AGES to get used to the Para EQ but it's indespensible now.. if the Empress comp was half the size I'd get it...
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

Sandberg VS4, 57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, AG TH500, Bassman 115 Pro, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212

Keatz

Post by Keatz » 30 Jun 2018, 17:45

I have currently got an FEA Labs Dual band compressor which i traded with a cali76 CB. The fea is so versatile and clean and quiet and allows you to keep the lows present and punchy and treat them seperate from the rest of the signal.
But.
Theres something(like a vibe and character) that i got from the cali that i preffered.
So.
If anyone wants to trade their cali CB or Super Symmetry for my FEA, pm me.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 04 Jul 2018, 12:15

narcdor wrote:
None simpler than the TC spectracomp. I found it very useful for quick and easy dialling in on two of their amps, the pedal should do the same in theory. And it’s tiny!
TC spectracomp where has this lil beauty been all my life?

Instantly got the punchy sound I was after for so long !

I can probably get this tone from my M87, if I knew what combination of it's six controls get me there hehe

Happy Chappy ready for tonight's recording session
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 04 Jul 2018, 13:39

I don't use a lot of compression... usually only around 2:1 to 5:1 (if we were to quantify it).... It's good to "tighten up" one's tone, but not squash it. I really get what I need from my zoom B3

My carvin amp also has a compressor, but I find it over-the-top and hard to use except for hard limiting and then I hope that my playing never gets it to that point :D

I use the "160 comp" model, which is a model of the dbx 160a... it works pretty well for the setting I use, so I'm thinking that if you can get your hands on a real-deal dbx 160a, it would be great... (they are also EXPENSIVE $800)... the dbx 166xs is much cheaper...
mind you these aren't pedals, they are line-level rack units.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 04 Jul 2018, 15:31

BazzBass wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 12:15
narcdor wrote:
None simpler than the TC spectracomp. I found it very useful for quick and easy dialling in on two of their amps, the pedal should do the same in theory. And it’s tiny!
TC spectracomp where has this lil beauty been all my life?

Instantly got the punchy sound I was after for so long !

I can probably get this tone from my M87, if I knew what combination of it's six controls get me there hehe

Happy Chappy ready for tonight's recording session
:thumbup:
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex