Maybe a dumb D.I question

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
FunkyJase

Maybe a dumb D.I question

Post by FunkyJase » 18 May 2018, 21:32

I've always wondered if the gain control on my amps increases the signal level to the D.I. There are many times during gigs where volumes go up and down depending on the crowd, the room, the environment whatever and Im ALWAYS adjusting levels and EQ to get the sound I want from my amp. Sometimes that might mean messing with the gain knob on the preamp. I have a Empress Para EQ on my board and sometimes after adjusting that I might turn down or turn up the gain to increase attack or decrease it...

I realise that the EQ will obviously change the DI output but what Im taking a long time to ask is:
Does the gain on my preamp increase the signal to the D.I and ultimately the front of house mix or is there some kind of line level magic that keeps the level pretty even? The reason I ask is there's a gig I do every month on a moving train. The soundguy does a soundcheck mix at the start of the night, we do four sets and we dont see him after that till pack up. Am I messing up the levels as I fk with my tone? Should I be a bit more careful or stuff it - go cray cray?

My worst fear is me on stage going OMG! HOW FKN GOOD DO I SOUND RIGHT NOW!? but Im the only one loving it and the crowd are like " geez that bassplayer sounds like two drunk possums f**king in a cajon!"...
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

Sandberg VS4, 57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, AG TH500, Bassman 115 Pro, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212

narcdor

Re: Maybe a dumb D.I question

Post by narcdor » 18 May 2018, 21:57

If the gain you are adjusting is before the DI then yes, you are messing with levels. Likely the bass is going though a compressor at the desk though so it will get evened out. You might want to ask the sound guy next time to know for sure?
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

david1234

Post by david1234 » 18 May 2018, 22:31

Making a drawing of the signal chains might help, or even doing it in your head: You'll soon develop a feel for what knobs will impact what outcomes.
:yep
O===
/ \

Endorsing artist: Warwick basses, Fender/SWR.

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 19 May 2018, 09:13

If you're using the DI out on your amp, then yes, the gain will affect the level. If I'm using the amp DI, I make sure to only adjust the master during the gig, as it's after the DI.

If it's an external DI plugged in between your pedals and the amp, then any changes to your effects change what the DI receives, but nothing you do on the amp will make a difference.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 19 May 2018, 10:16

It's actually not a dumb question at all. The world would be a better place if more musicians thought about how they are affecting everyone else.

One other thing to keep in mind is you can also umpact on levels to the desk with eq changes, especially in the lows and low mids.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 19 May 2018, 13:02

Input gain - yes. Use the Master volume instead.

Check if you can switch DI to PRE-EQ. Keep the Empress on your pedalboard for PA adjustments, and use the Amp's EQ for personal adjustments.

If DI is Post-EQ, see if the FX Loop is POST-DI. Try the Empress in the effects loop. Use the Amp's EQ for PA, and adjust the Empress for personal adjustments.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 19 May 2018, 13:11

OR.....instead of adjusting the gain on your pre, get a clean boost pedal to kick it in for a boost in volume, place it after the DI so it only affects your amp's input :)
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 19 May 2018, 17:16

FunkyJase wrote:
18 May 2018, 21:32
and the crowd are like " geez that bassplayer sounds like two drunk possums f**king in a cajon!"...
You never told me you've been to one of my gigs!
I'm a mean offloading machine!

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 21 May 2018, 09:15

bigswifty wrote:
19 May 2018, 17:16
FunkyJase wrote:
18 May 2018, 21:32
and the crowd are like " geez that bassplayer sounds like two drunk possums f**king in a cajon!"...
You never told me you've been to one of my gigs!
Ha ha
Roy Batty

Sandberg VS4, 57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 21 May 2018, 09:16

Thanks for the knowledge gang ;-)
Roy Batty