NPD - sort of

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
petersemple

NPD - sort of

Post by petersemple » 26 Mar 2018, 19:58

Warning - some assembly may be required

Basses: Wasburn Status 4, Fretless 4 made from parts, Fretted through neck 5 made by me
Amp: Eminar bass 400 into home made cab with JBL 15"

basshack

Re: NPD - sort of

Post by basshack » 26 Mar 2018, 21:20

Well at least you don't have to screen print it!

Looks like a nice little kit.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

petersemple

Post by petersemple » 26 Mar 2018, 21:25

Yeah, I could have got a plain metal box, but decided to go for the luxury option. From what I can work out it's basically the guts of a dbx studio compressor in a pedal. Gets nice reviews so I thought I would try it out. Glad it made it to me before the Easter weekend. Know what I'll be up to now.
Basses: Wasburn Status 4, Fretless 4 made from parts, Fretted through neck 5 made by me

stonecoldbass

Post by stonecoldbass » 27 Mar 2018, 00:42

Cool! Good luck with the build and keen to hear how sounds!
http://www.craigstrainmusic.com
http://www.basslessonsmelbourne.com
F Bass VF5 70's Ash/Maple
Iceni Zoot Classic J Funkmeister Custom 5 string
Greco 70's P bass
80's Ibanez Musician
Tecamp Puma 900
Epifani UL2 410

petersemple

Post by petersemple » 08 Apr 2018, 13:43

And she lives!

Pretty much worked first time, which was nice. The website instructions are so well done, detailed and easy to follow. I had a thing when I first played that every so often the volume levels would go nuts - very loud all of a sudden. I cracked it back open and found a few solder joints that I was a bit ashamed of - one in particular with almost no actual solder where it needed to be. Redid those and I suspect the problem is gone - although only time will tell. To me it sounds nice. There is no tonal colouration that I could tell. I just used pretty subtle settings, because I was looking for just of smoothing between strings and notes etc. Having the gain reduction meter there makes it pretty easy to set. Overall it sounded just like my bass only a bit smoother, which is what I was after. One day I will try for more squash to see how it sounds. I think that slightly higher compression ratios, with a decent bit of the dry tone mixed in the re-capture playing dynamics could sound quite good, but I haven't tried that yet.

To me, the available controls are good too. I know a lot of people have trouble with attack and release controls. You don't have to worry about that with this. I am not sure if they are hard-wired in and chosen for you. The datasheet for the chip has description of "auto" setting for these, where it looks like they are dependent on the signal input, and I suspect that is what is used here. Sounds good anyway. Threshold and compression ratio and knee seem to me to be the most useful compression controls. I haven't been able to here any noise from it either - although I do have it running into a system with a noise gate.

WestOfBen

Post by WestOfBen » 11 Apr 2018, 12:27

Um, I guess by the conversation it is a compressor of sorts. Can't see the photos. Do you have a link to the kit online or?
Rickenbacker 4003JG, Epiphone Ripper, Marina P/J fretless, Tanglewood ABG, 1960s Rose Music Tempo SS semi-hollow bass, an acoustic guitar, GK 700RB-II, SWR Henry 8x8, some pedals
My band is called Ascribe!