Left field question - chorus pedals and feedback a-la Magic Dirt

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
WestOfBen

Left field question - chorus pedals and feedback a-la Magic Dirt

Post by WestOfBen » 09 Feb 2018, 17:50

I can’t find an answer anywhere to a question I have pondered for years.

Why and how do chorus pedals feedback the way they do, warbly and self-oscillatory. Mostly this happens with guitar but I have achieved the same with bass > any old chorus > big muff or TurboRAT and close proximity or high volume.

Think Magic Dirt, so many tracks. Especially Life was better... and Friends in Danger. These guys and gal mastered the effect, which is no small feat because it is a chaotic effect hard to tame. I have seen MD live a few times over the years, from waaay back when and they always near on nailed it each time. Do dearly miss DT.

It is known why delay pedals self-oscillate and feedback the way they do. The way chorus pedals do this has always intrigued me.

Anyone got clues or theories?
Rickenbacker 4003JG, Epiphone Ripper, Marina P/J fretless, Tanglewood ABG, 1960s Rose Music Tempo SS semi-hollow bass, an acoustic guitar, GK 700RB-II, SWR Henry 8x8, some pedals
My band is called Ascribe!

Pynic

Re: Left field question - chorus pedals and feedback a-la Magic Dirt

Post by Pynic » 27 Feb 2018, 13:18

Do you mean the sound at 2:15?

WestOfBen

Re: Left field question - chorus pedals and feedback a-la Magic Dirt

Post by WestOfBen » 02 Mar 2018, 11:57

I think that captures some of it. Hard to tell if he has the chorus speed up there but at the end of that feedback it starts the warble. This one also gives an idea at the start and also other parts in the song.

Rickenbacker 4003JG, Epiphone Ripper, Marina P/J fretless, Tanglewood ABG, 1960s Rose Music Tempo SS semi-hollow bass, an acoustic guitar, GK 700RB-II, SWR Henry 8x8, some pedals
My band is called Ascribe!