Clean Bass Preamp recommendations

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
ozrider

Clean Bass Preamp recommendations

Post by ozrider » 06 Jan 2018, 13:10

I'm currently using the zoom B3 for my tone shaping needs. I can't help feel the preamp patches are a little lackluster for EQ control and responsiveness (I don't know what else to call it). I am only comparing it to my experiences with the tonal shaping of an aguilar OBP and the onboard 3 band of my SR5. Now while this puts me on the slippery slope to a pedal board, I'm wondering if a higher voltage 18v preamp pedal may do the business better than the zoom ever could. I am particularly interested in a pedal that can deal with the fast attack of slap bass, which I get to do much more often these days. Oh yeah, and this is as a front end to my yamaha BB1025x

Any recommendations?

narcdor

Re: Clean Bass Preamp recommendations

Post by narcdor » 06 Jan 2018, 13:50

Standard advice would be slap bass sounds better with slight uncoloured compression than EQ, results may vary. If I’ve got any slap lines I always kick in an Aguilar TLC and don’t touch EQ, cleans it up a little makes it smoother overall and still allows dynamics when set mildly.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 06 Jan 2018, 14:12

I usually have a compressor emulation, but the BB is quite barky at the 800hz, and I'd like something that colours or strips that out a little, pushes up the lows a little, as I am playing a lot on that rear ceramic pickup solo. But maybe my zoom b3 compressor patch is also a problem.

ps. I'm only concerned about live sound, not the studio if that makes a difference

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 06 Jan 2018, 15:21

Now that I'm here, I'm wondering whether my Bergantino 12 inch speaker (CN112) would be manifestly different from running a 210 cab (CN210).

benhill1982

Post by benhill1982 » 06 Jan 2018, 16:50

I’d say a 4 band EQ would be your friend in this situation. Boost the bass and treble, cut the mids, then add a little compression after to tame the EQ peaks and you’re in slap bass heaven. Anything along the lines of the Darkglass Ultras, Pike Vulcan XL, Mesa Subway DI will give you all the clean tone shaping you need. The Darkglass and Pike are typically cleaner and naturally brighter, the Mesa adds a bit of low mids thickness.
As for the Bergs, I’ve owned both the CN210 and 112, and found the 112 a little woofy on slap by itself. Responsive, but woofy. The 210 would give you more punch for sure, and together in the 322 they’re great.
Bass: Sandberg, Dingwall, Sadowsky, Musicman
Rig: Ampeg SVT-VR, Bergantino NV610T, Forte, Reference 322, IP310
Studio: Pro Tools, UAD, NI, Shure, AKG, Focusrite, Sleishman, DW, Sabian, Zildjian, Moog, Fender, Marshall

Wrenn

Post by Wrenn » 06 Jan 2018, 17:33

+1 on benhill's post. I too have a B3 and on my way to building my pedal selection after I knew what I really like...a very warm tube preamp and a killer slap tone. From my research I'll be having an eq, compressor, dirt and a chorus/delay/reverb pedals. The DHA VT1 (on order already) will be enough for the tube break up and a little dirt if needed. I'm already eyeing the Broughton para eq, and waiting for him to release the compressor he's saying he's gonna build. My rackmount Lexicon MX200 is taking care of my chorus/delay/reverb atm until I find a suitable pedal that I like. Also, I'm in line for a P15 so that should provide a very warm tube sound, similar to a REDDI if that's the tone you are after.
Band: PLATFORM http://www.facebook.com/PlatformBandSydney
Basses: LEJ 5/24
Head: Glockenklang Blue Soul/ Cab: Schroeder 1212
Combo: Hartke Kickback KB12

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 06 Jan 2018, 18:10

Try the Mesa Subway pre/di if you get the chance. Well selected EQ points with a built in HPF.

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 06 Jan 2018, 21:05

Thanks for the info fellas, the mesa sounds like what I'm after. What about the usual suspects like the sadowsky pre and the aguilar pedal?

benhill1982

Post by benhill1982 » 06 Jan 2018, 21:38

For clean slap, I’d give the Aguilar a miss. And the Sadowsky is nice, but limited. The Mesa is the go if you want to add more heft than sparkle.
Bass: Sandberg, Dingwall, Sadowsky, Musicman
Rig: Ampeg SVT-VR, Bergantino NV610T, Forte, Reference 322, IP310
Studio: Pro Tools, UAD, NI, Shure, AKG, Focusrite, Sleishman, DW, Sabian, Zildjian, Moog, Fender, Marshall

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 06 Jan 2018, 23:17

benhill1982 wrote:
06 Jan 2018, 21:38
For clean slap, I’d give the Aguilar a miss. And the Sadowsky is nice, but limited. The Mesa is the go if you want to add more heft than sparkle.

ok thanks, thats really helpful info

jamiesdad

Post by jamiesdad » 07 Jan 2018, 06:53

I have been using a mxr m80+ ... heaps of punch with a 3 band eq
Friendly Forum Mod

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 07 Jan 2018, 09:42

Sadowsky pre sounds fantastic with a jazz, it should do being designed for them. But yes more sparkle than heft. The Aguilar pre didn’t really do much of anything special it’s fairly transparent from memory.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 07 Jan 2018, 13:03

It's really easy to come on and just recommend stuff that you have, and I am guilty of it. So I searched YT for Slap and the MXR M81 bass Preamp, which I think is an awesome, neutral Pre with Sweepable mid, which might be helpful for your BB. See the clip below.

The other Pre/Eq pedal which I think is great for getting all sorts of useable tones is the TC Spark Booster. Does mild overdrive, but in the Clean setting can give a nice top end sheen and good bass for slap.

Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 07 Jan 2018, 14:45

The MXR sounds great, I only need a pedal so the M81 fits the bill too

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 07 Jan 2018, 15:11

If you just want a small pedal then this looks fantastic. 3 fully parametic eq bands - http://broughtonaudio.bigcartel.com/pro ... -equalizer