Cali-76 - TX vs Compact Bass?

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
Paisley

Cali-76 - TX vs Compact Bass?

Post by Paisley » 05 Dec 2017, 10:08

I was never really in the financial position to splash out on a luxury like a Cali-76 TX when they were available; and of course now that they're a discontinued item, the ebay profiteerers are trying to jack their prices up to pre-2008 madness! :rollno:
I always had it in my mind that I'd go the extra for the TX model; I've owned 4 original Urei 1176's when I had my Studio (still have one) & used quite a few others of similar revisions, so I've heard first hand the subtle but definite difference that different transformers can make.

The obvious question is; how does the current Compact Bass Cali compare to the original TX models? I have to confess to never having been able to compare the original non-TX with the TX, but I did try a TX out with my old P Bass, and to me it nailed about 80% of the sound & feel of the 1176 - which considering it's in a pedal instead of a rickety black box full of 40 year old components, is more than good enough for me!
:thumbup:

So has anyone had a chance to compare the two?
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

jimmy_effected

Re: Cali-76 - TX vs Compact Bass?

Post by jimmy_effected » 05 Dec 2017, 13:30

Ooof...I haven't been able to compare the two mate, so I'm probably not much good in terms of a comparison, sorry. I do have a friend of mine who has one of the TX's, and I have a Compact Bass. I might be able to arrange something in terms of a meetup but it's a bit of a long shot.

I can state that I have no intention of buying another compressor - super impressed with the CB.

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 05 Dec 2017, 23:24

jimmy_effected wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 13:30
I can state that I have no intention of buying another compressor - super impressed with the CB.
Cheers for that mate. Yeah the Compact is a tidy looking package alright; I actually really like the idea of how the HPF works in the side chain (a feature which I don't think the TX has). Like I said though, that TX I tried really showed it's lineage to the 1176, which is what's kept the thing rattling around in my Brain for all this time! If the Compact has that same vibe, it'll be a done deal.
:yep
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.

jimmy_effected

Post by jimmy_effected » 11 Dec 2017, 13:17

Paisley wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 23:24
jimmy_effected wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 13:30
Cheers for that mate. Yeah the Compact is a tidy looking package alright; I actually really like the idea of how the HPF works in the side chain (a feature which I don't think the TX has). Like I said though, that TX I tried really showed it's lineage to the 1176, which is what's kept the thing rattling around in my Brain for all this time! If the Compact has that same vibe, it'll be a done deal.
:yep
If you're ever in sunny QLD, look me up and come try it. I know brentonbassist is always looking for an excuse to come up and hang out too

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 21 Dec 2017, 12:05

Just a quick update, now that I’ve managed to spend some time with a Compact through my rig.

Nice; very nice in fact. However that intangible fatness & sense of being “warm without actually being warmed up” that most 1176 owners come to love is sadly missing; it was there to certain degree with the TX, but however hard I tried I just couldn’t coax it out of the Compact. Whether it’s the Trannie (or lack of) or some other changes they’ve made I don’t know; but whereas I’d have happily ditched my Markbass Comp in favour of the TX, the Compact hasn’t quite made the same impression.

Oh well - off to scout eBay again....
:p

mmw

Post by mmw » 21 Dec 2017, 18:18

I've got a TX-P if you want to compare it. Mine's not for sale though :)
Fodera Monarch 5 Deluxe; Jule Amps Monique; Glockenklang Bass Art; Wayne Jones; Acoustic Image;
Origin Effects/Eventide/Chunk Systems/FreeTheTone/Pete Cornish

JonoBurgess

Post by JonoBurgess » 05 Jan 2018, 14:49

I have now owned both of them, and as much as I love the vibe of the transformer and the something it adds, I find the compact bass to be a more useful compressor and able to achieve more subtle compression with the blend and HPF.

Just my opinion though

jimmy_effected

Post by jimmy_effected » 06 Jan 2018, 16:26

JonoBurgess wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 14:49
I have now owned both of them, and as much as I love the vibe of the transformer and the something it adds, I find the compact bass to be a more useful compressor and able to achieve more subtle compression with the blend and HPF.

Just my opinion though
I'd second this - it'll take one hell of a compressor to knock the Compact Bass off my board.

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 08 Jan 2018, 17:37

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. Haven't had a chance to get back here to reply for a while, so here goes:

I'm now the proud new owner of a 76-G (Gemanium); it literally just arrived today, so I haven't even had a chance to fire it up yet. It came up on a Facebook Classifieds site for a reasonable price (not cheap, but definitely reasonable compared to other 76's I've seen for sale!) so I jumped on it. It wasn't the TX I was chasing, but after doing a bit more research, I've found out something interesting about the TX...

When I tried the TX out, I lined it into my pedalboard & used it like that. However what I didn't know was that running it like I did, it was operating off 9v; I've since found out that the TX's Trannie doesn't actually kick in unless it's running on 18v. So basically, the unit I tried was more or less running as a standard 76! I loved the one I tried out; hence I should be happy with this one, & I've got the germanium output stage I can wind in as a bonus (it was apparently a limited edition as well; only 100 units produced).
:thumbup:

It kind of makes me even more curious to try the TX now, but I'll worry about that some other time (lol). :lol: