Which 500 Watt Head???

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
User avatar
vin-tone
Posts: 4693
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 21:46
Location: Ballaarat Vic.
Contact:

Re: Which 500 Watt Head???

Post by vin-tone » 14 Jun 2017, 09:47

Thats a great price for a LM3! no it doesn't do overdrive but is a great warm powerful little beast. It's not class D BTW. Probably the smallest A/B amp on the market.
Warwick SS2, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

User avatar
ozrider
Posts: 3737
Joined: 29 Oct 2011, 21:14
Location: Out West

Re: Which 500 Watt Head???

Post by ozrider » 15 Jun 2017, 08:27

vin-tone wrote:Thats a great price for a LM3! no it doesn't do overdrive but is a great warm powerful little beast. It's not class D BTW. Probably the smallest A/B amp on the market.

Are you sure Vin? Says on the website it's 'Markbass Proprietary Technology' whatever that means

http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/little-mark-iii/

User avatar
Aussie Mark
Posts: 16055
Joined: 28 Oct 2008, 21:06
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Which 500 Watt Head???

Post by Aussie Mark » 15 Jun 2017, 08:34

ozrider wrote:
vin-tone wrote:Thats a great price for a LM3! no it doesn't do overdrive but is a great warm powerful little beast. It's not class D BTW. Probably the smallest A/B amp on the market.

Are you sure Vin? Says on the website it's 'Markbass Proprietary Technology' whatever that means

http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/little-mark-iii/
The LMII and LMIII are definitely not Class D. The power module is analog, not digital. That's why they're such great little amps and that 500w rating is very conservative indeed.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

User avatar
ozrider
Posts: 3737
Joined: 29 Oct 2011, 21:14
Location: Out West

Re: Which 500 Watt Head???

Post by ozrider » 15 Jun 2017, 08:45

Aussie Mark wrote:
ozrider wrote:
vin-tone wrote:Thats a great price for a LM3! no it doesn't do overdrive but is a great warm powerful little beast. It's not class D BTW. Probably the smallest A/B amp on the market.

Are you sure Vin? Says on the website it's 'Markbass Proprietary Technology' whatever that means

http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/little-mark-iii/
The LMII and LMIII are definitely not Class D. The power module is analog, not digital. That's why they're such great little amps and that 500w rating is very conservative indeed.
I had the original LM and did that have class D power module?

User avatar
Aussie Mark
Posts: 16055
Joined: 28 Oct 2008, 21:06
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Which 500 Watt Head???

Post by Aussie Mark » 15 Jun 2017, 08:49

ozrider wrote:I had the original LM and did that have class D power module?
Nope

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

User avatar
narcdor
Posts: 3979
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 16:36
Location: Melbourne

Re: Which 500 Watt Head???

Post by narcdor » 15 Jun 2017, 10:11

Some of the LM series do, the 800 watt I think. That may be where the confusion is coming from. MarkBass I think are one of the only amp manufacturers that ever/still do lightweight analog.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

User avatar
Aussie Mark
Posts: 16055
Joined: 28 Oct 2008, 21:06
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Which 500 Watt Head???

Post by Aussie Mark » 15 Jun 2017, 11:11

narcdor wrote:Some of the LM series do, the 800 watt I think.
Correct - the 800 watt power module used in Markbass amps is digital, Class D, but the 500 watt module is not.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

RAS
Posts: 342
Joined: 26 Jul 2011, 22:20

Re: Which 500 Watt Head???

Post by RAS » 17 Jun 2017, 21:16

I run vt pedal into a lm2, using either the 2x10 or 4x10 cab. Sounds pretty good to me. I kick that sound in as a contrast to just the lm2. Didn't realise the lm2 wasn't a d class. Must just have the switched power supply to keep the weight down.

User avatar
Rickles
Posts: 125
Joined: 11 Aug 2015, 11:09
Location: Melbourne

Re: Which 500 Watt Head???

Post by Rickles » 17 Jun 2017, 21:27

From what I read at Talkbass the LM3 changed to class D in 2010.
Melbourne
75 P Bass, Warwick Standard Corvette, SWR MoBass, Markbass, BAmp, CN212, HD210, SWR 210.

andyboygenius
Posts: 8
Joined: 30 May 2017, 13:33

Re: Which 500 Watt Head???

Post by andyboygenius » 04 Apr 2018, 16:46

Nearly a year on and my Italian made 2011 LM3 has remained on top of the cab. I've progressed from a Fender Jazz to a G&L L-2500 ( I say that and prepare to duck!) I use it with the overdrive way down and use a Darkglass Microtubes to provide some wooly drive while still keeping the punchiness through the mix. This set up has received the most compliments from my fellow band members. They say it cuts through and even playing with a hard hitting drummer I'm still told to turn it down so a 800 watt Amp would just be overkill! Thanks for your replies.

User avatar
DeadlyErnest
Posts: 1113
Joined: 09 Mar 2012, 21:42
Location: Canberra

Re: Which 500 Watt Head???

Post by DeadlyErnest » 04 Apr 2018, 18:13

The MarkBass Amp and Cab are a good match.
Will play for food.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 8 guests