rage fire the drummer !

should leave room for your amp :)
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

mcrawfordmusic

Re: Ampless?

Post by mcrawfordmusic » 22 Jan 2017, 19:43

I go amp less in one of my bands. We've rehearsed that way since day one, so it feels natural now.

I keep my rig super simple. I use a BDDI into a Rolls PM50 IEM mixer with a stereo aux send back into the Rolls from FOH.
That way, I still have the ability to add more me, but I usually have plenty of bass from the stereo send alone.

I've run straight into the PA at shows without IEMs in the past and haven't been happy with it.

Definitely lots of pro's to running Ampless, but I think the whole band needs to be onboard for best results.

moik

Post by moik » 26 Jan 2017, 20:55

Tomorrow night is the night.

I just can't bring myself to do it. I'll take the little rig and just squeeze in the best I can.

Thanks guys

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 26 Jan 2017, 21:05

Good luck
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 27 Jan 2017, 08:28

Aussie Mark wrote:I'm going to a friend's wedding tonight and am also playing 2 sets at the wedding. I want to travel light so am only taking a bass and pedal board and will go ampless. The venue (Anita's Theatre) has enough foldback sends that they can give me my own wedge and send so I don't imagine I'll have any issue hearing myself.
I had my own wedge and send, DI only. All good

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 27 Jan 2017, 10:50

smallish cab or combo... either tilt back or on a stand up by your ears...

on a small stage, if you don't point the speaker right at your head, you'll need ears on your knees :D

If you have room to put your cab slightly off stage, or even under your mic stand...

there's a lot of work in going amp-free... it's doable, and can be quite rewarding in the long run, but it can be expensive and you must be committed to the idea.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

JFK

Post by JFK » 18 Oct 2017, 12:30

I'm headed in this direction -- I am with two bands, one is small venue Americana where the levels aren't too high, but the stages are ridiculously small. The other is classic rock where I find the levels too high for my fragile ears. Some questions I have...

1) For both bands its mainly vocals in the PA. If get IEMs I can mix that in fairly easily but do I also need to set up a mic on stage somewhere to get the rest of the band, or does enough generally bleed through?

2) Are smallish vocal PAs OK with bass FOH or willI still need to run a cab for that?

It's a big investment so I'd like to think it through and get advice before I stump up.

Cheers
Jonathan

PS: G'Day Dave!

JFK

Post by JFK » 18 Oct 2017, 12:37

Oh, and yes there is this related thread, was just wondering if there is an updated view.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17079&p=249965&hili ... or#p249965

benhill1982

Post by benhill1982 » 18 Oct 2017, 15:44

I haven't taken the time to read the previous responses, but I'd suggest a Preamp DI into a Cab sim into the desk. They make a huge difference in the response.
Bass: Sandberg, Dingwall, Sadowsky
Rig: Ampeg SVT-VR, Bergantino NV610T, Forte, Reference 322, HD322, IP310
Studio: Pro Tools, UAD, NI, Shure, AKG, Focusrite, Sleishman, DW, Sabian, Zildjian, Moog, Fender, Marshall

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 18 Oct 2017, 23:19

JFK wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 12:30
I'm headed in this direction -- I am with two bands, one is small venue Americana where the levels aren't too high, but the stages are ridiculously small. The other is classic rock where I find the levels too high for my fragile ears. Some questions I have...

1) For both bands its mainly vocals in the PA. If get IEMs I can mix that in fairly easily but do I also need to set up a mic on stage somewhere to get the rest of the band, or does enough generally bleed through?

2) Are smallish vocal PAs OK with bass FOH or willI still need to run a cab for that?

It's a big investment so I'd like to think it through and get advice before I stump up.

Cheers
Jonathan

PS: G'Day Dave!
1) I've done the ambient mic into in-ears thing for years. Took some trial and error but I got it working nicely. The benefit was that I didn't have to rely on the sound guy to feed a signal to my IEM. Things I learnt along the way:-
* The mic matters. Mics used typically for vocals tend to pick up mostly drums and treble at a distance. I settled on a Sennheiser e604 drum mic because it was the only one I tried which didn't favour the drums as much that didn't cost a fortune.
* Even still, eq for the mic is a must. Without it, the rest of the band will still sound thin and tiny.
* The mic will need a preamp. You can use a mixer, but i got best results from a mic pre with a tube in it.
* Disguise the mic! No really, do it. Because if you don't, it's a matter of time before someone drunk jumps on stage, grabs the first free mic they can find, and starts singing/yelling into it, thinking it's coming out of FOH. You're ear drums will be toast by the time they get their second syllable out.

As for bleed through, it really depends. On small stages, we are usually packed together closely enough that the bleed is sufficient to make the ambient mic unnecessary. But as the stages get bigger, and your band mates get further away, the mic becomes very valuable.

2) Vocal PAs usually suck for bass. Bring a cab ..... Or bigger PA.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Slapfest62

Post by Slapfest62 » 19 Oct 2017, 00:56

Petebass wrote:
21 Jan 2017, 12:46
Rocksolid wrote:I have used my qsc k12 to do this. Any powered monitor with 2 inputs is great for it. Send from your Pedal board into one input, the foldback send to the other input. You can then control your volume thru the wedge independently of the desk.
I quite like this concept. Especially for those who also sing, and especially when going ampless on biggish stages. On tiny stages though, I'm usually standing right next to, or right on top of a wedge meant for the person next to me, and its usually enough so i can hear everything i need to hear.

yeah, I like that solution as well. .

JFK

Post by JFK » 19 Oct 2017, 19:49

Thanks Pete.

braiden

Post by braiden » 14 Nov 2017, 23:31

I went ampless a tour last year. Our band runs IEM's. I wanted to try and keep my rig simple and thought I'd give it a go.

I had two channels going to the FOH/Monitor guys. A clean channel coming out of my Tech 21 VT Deluxe (which sat before my dirt pedals), and a dirty channel (after pedals) coming from an A Designs REDDI.

The Red got me preeeetty close to an Ampeg style tube sound, but it just wasn't quite there. From the end of that tour to present I have been using a Fender Bassman TV12 that I've had a case built for. It comes in at 30kg's so can fly everywhere. Now I use the RED for my clean DI (which sounds **** incredible), and our sound guys stick a 421 in front of my Bassman (which takes the dirty stuff).

Super simple setup, sounds great, still extremely portable. I am a happy man!

Having said all this, distortion pedals are the only reason I went back to an amp. If I just played clean all the time and I was on IEM's, I would rock up with a P bass, a lead, a tuner, and my RED. As long as you have a really nice DI, going ampless is completely acceptable and feasible.
'72 Rickenbacker 4001 | MIJ Fender Precision | Ampeg SVT