Power Supply for Pedalboard with an RC-30 in the chain?

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
Suitable

Power Supply for Pedalboard with an RC-30 in the chain?

Post by Suitable » 16 Jan 2017, 20:03

Hi all,

I'm wanting to build myself a pedalboard to have all my pedals sorted out neatly in a small box that I can just open up, lay it down, plug in and go for it all hooked up in the in the signal chain I prefer. I have ~6 Boss (and boss style but not boss brand) Stompboxes, a Boss RC-30 looper, a Zoom B3 (this one might be removed and left in the home studio/shed) plus future stomp boxes down the track (along with the ones that are lost in my old mans shed for decades...). What PSU's are people using for their effects pedalboards when they include the "thirsty" Boss RC-30 and/or Zoom B3 on your boards? I've been looking at the Joyo JP-02 PSU but not sure if it has the juice to supply all my pedals? What are you using and/or what do you recommend? I'm hoping to use just one PSU, but I'm not sure if the boss RC-30 and the zoom B3 are going to need there own PSU's?

Thanks heaps in advance for any help and info!

Cheers!
Great deals with Steve77 & B_jamin! Top blokes :thumbup:

Veldar

Re: Power Supply for Pedalboard with an RC-30 in the chain?

Post by Veldar » 16 Jan 2017, 20:41

I've been using the Onespot pro cs12 for a couple of months now and I love it. It has enough plugs to power everything from fuzz pedals that sound better with less voltage (it has a knob to simulate dying batteries on one of the outputs) to running hih voltage pedals like the line 6 M9 or two Eventide H9s. I haven't come across anything that it can't handle yet. It also can change power regions so you can use it anywhere in the world without an addapter, no the most practial feature for most people but it does ean you can snag them off Reverb or ebay for cheap.

Cheers, Sam.
Originally this was where all the people I've sold/gotten gear from that went well, but I haven't met a bad person yet :D

Thanks to giggawazza for the Bongo.

Suitable

Post by Suitable » 17 Jan 2017, 08:56

Thanks Vadar for the info on the Onespot Pro CS12! I will have a look at their specs now to see how it will go. I think the RC-30 needs 9V at 1Amp so that's what I'm "shooting" for in at least one of the PSU's outs. Thanks for the help buddy! :thumbup:

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 17 Jan 2017, 09:42

I don't think the Zoom B3 is that thirsty. It can run for a reasonable period on 4 AA batteries in the internal compartment - that's only 6 volts.
I run my off a large external Joyo rechargeable 9v batteries.
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 17 Jan 2017, 19:11

If I was building a board that needed a power supply, if get the mxr isobrick. Isolated outputs including 2 9v x 450mA that will run a zoom and also a digital wireless.
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

Suitable

Post by Suitable » 21 Jan 2017, 15:11

Thanks for all the help and info all! It looks like almost every company has the "juice" department covered! Now to make a choice on one...

Anyone done recordings with any of these power supply's? Ie in a studio setting where RF noise is a PITA? I do like how the Pro CS12 uses a toroidal transformer in it, better RF shielding afaik... alas just for only 1 single channel though... I guess all of them will be pretty quiet though so... Is there any beniefits to any of them, where they are made/how they are made? Size and weight is a factor too I guess as I'll build the board around the PSU... More researching on reverb, eBay, gumtree etc I guess!

Thanks heaps for all the suggestions and info all!

Cheers

Veldar

Post by Veldar » 23 Jan 2017, 12:31

I'm using the cs12 on a episode later this week, I'll let you know how it goes :thumbup:
Originally this was where all the people I've sold/gotten gear from that went well, but I haven't met a bad person yet :D

Thanks to giggawazza for the Bongo.