Bass Synth Pedals - Any recommendations?

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
FunkyJase

Bass Synth Pedals - Any recommendations?

Post by FunkyJase » 30 Jul 2019, 11:55

So far I like the fatness of the EHX Bass Mono Synth and some of the dubstep wobble tones of the Boss SYB5 but from what I can find on Youtube, the Boss doesnt seem to be able to do the fat stuff that the EHX can do?

Anyone got one and can confirm what it can do?
Any comments or recommendations?
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

Sandberg VS4, Lakland SL 55-01, Fretless PJ, Frankenbass PJ, & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, TTE800, Tecamp M212, Eden EX112

benhill1982

Re: Bass Synth Pedals - Any recommendations?

Post by benhill1982 » 30 Jul 2019, 13:52

Panda Midi Future Impact, Akai Deep Impact, Markbass Super Synth - also all worth a look (full disclosure, I'm selling the last two, but I'd still say the same thing if I wasn't)
Bass: Sandberg VM4
Rig: Bergantino NV610T, NV115(x2), NV412T, Reference 322 & BAmp, Noble, Jule Monique, Ampeg PF-20T, Kemper Stage
Pedals: Free The Tone, Darkglass, Eventide, Strymon, Tym, Origin Effects, Rodenberg, 3Leaf Audio, OvniFX

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 30 Jul 2019, 14:04

Boss has just come out with the Boss Sy 1 synth pedal which from the YouTube demos looks fantastic. Also super simple to use but no saving sounds.

dagwood dawg

Post by dagwood dawg » 30 Jul 2019, 18:24

Source Audio have the C4 which looks fun

JimP

Post by JimP » 05 Aug 2019, 22:45

I strongly recommend checking out the C4. I'm just starting to scratch the surface with mine but it's just next level what it can do. Source Audio are really engaged with users on different online forums and the neuro community is amazing for sharing presets if you're not quite up to programming your own.
Fender 62 AVRI Jazz, Musicman Stingray 2-band, Ampeg V4B, Ampeg SVT 212AV

jimmy_effected

Post by jimmy_effected » 06 Aug 2019, 21:30

JimP wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 22:45
I strongly recommend checking out the C4. I'm just starting to scratch the surface with mine but it's just next level what it can do. Source Audio are really engaged with users on different online forums and the neuro community is amazing for sharing presets if you're not quite up to programming your own.
^^ haven't used one, but I've seen a LOT of good things said about them. And at a pretty good price too.

WestOfBen

Post by WestOfBen » 07 Aug 2019, 12:54

I had a Future Impact I and it was amazing, I just wasn't using it to its full and maybe never would - also have been rationalising my rig. I am considering a Sonuus G2M for occasionally sending notes from bass to my synth.
Rickenbacker 4003JG, Epiphone Ripper, Marina P/J fretless, Tanglewood ABG, 1960s Rose Music Tempo SS semi-hollow bass, an acoustic guitar, GK 700RB-II, SWR Henry 8x8, some pedals and synths
My band is called Ascribe

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 12 Aug 2019, 17:14

Wowsers The C4 looks great - they aint cheap though hey!
Roy Batty

Sandberg VS4, Lakland SL 55-01, Fretless PJ, Frankenbass PJ, & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

JimP

Post by JimP » 12 Aug 2019, 18:31

FunkyJase wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 17:14
True... plus you need a MIDI controller like one of the Disaster Area pedals to access the C4's 128 presets. It really depends on what you're looking for and what kind of music you want to play. If you're looking for a few basic synth-like sounds for 80s-90s covers then there are cheaper options out there that will probably get you near enough. If you want go deeper down the rabbit hole, the C4 (and Future Impact) has a crazy amount of tweekability built into the editor, with regular software updates based on community input. Not everyone will want or need that though. I'm dipping my toe in by browsing other users' patches but haven't twisted any knobs in the editor myself yet.

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 13 Aug 2019, 13:49

JimP wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 18:31
FunkyJase wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 17:14
True... plus you need a MIDI controller like one of the Disaster Area pedals to access the C4's 128 presets. It really depends on what you're looking for and what kind of music you want to play. If you're looking for a few basic synth-like sounds for 80s-90s covers then there are cheaper options out there that will probably get you near enough. If you want go deeper down the rabbit hole, the C4 (and Future Impact) has a crazy amount of tweekability built into the editor, with regular software updates based on community input. Not everyone will want or need that though. I'm dipping my toe in by browsing other users' patches but haven't twisted any knobs in the editor myself yet.
Yeah for sure - I've picked up an EHX Bass Mono Synth for now. If that gives me "the taste" and I cant live without it then I'll get something crazier :-)
Roy Batty

Rogdogz

Post by Rogdogz » 13 Aug 2019, 19:02

Future impact I, i've stopped looking elsewhere, had the ehx micro synth, digitech Bsw, mono synth.

The editor goes way beyond my head however, so I'm relying on user submitted presets, i'm a bassist, not a synthesist.

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 16 Aug 2019, 10:07

I got the Mono Synth and have had some fun with it. TRhere are a few very usable sounds in there!
I like pushing the sens knob to a point where it glitches - Technically I should be avoiding that I 'spose but it sounds great. Putting an overdrive and a bass wah after it is insane!
I think I have the bug he he - Give it 6mths and this will be up for sale in favour of the C4 I reckon
Roy Batty

dagwood dawg

Post by dagwood dawg » 18 Aug 2019, 18:30

I'm torn between the C4 capabilities and the " hold" function of the SY1 which allows you to hold the synth tones while playing bypassed bass over the top. :help

I'm planning on pulling the trigger this week

JimP

Post by JimP » 18 Aug 2019, 19:00

dagwood dawg wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 18:30
I'm torn between the C4 capabilities and the " hold" function of the SY1 which allows you to hold the synth tones while playing bypassed bass over the top. :help

I'm planning on pulling the trigger this week
As far as I'm aware there's no 'hold' function on the C4. Maybe you could do it with a MIDI controller I but could be wrong about that. Best bet would be to ask Source Audio direct. Roger Smith is the president of SA and he's really active on the Source Audio Sorcerers Society thread on Talkbass. His username is rsmith601 if you want to tag him in a question. He's amazingly responsive and happy to help.
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/source ... 1/page-412

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 19 Aug 2019, 16:37

Actually I stumbled on bass synth sound last weekend in my Zoom B3 that had the whole band plus sound crew's jaws hit the ground. Then I hit the octave pedal (M288) and played an octave higher, and it got even better.

Whatever the pedal is that Zoom modelled for that sound, I imagine the real one should be amazing. Trouble is I can't remember which pedal that is. I'll have to go check and report back later.

Edit - Zoom call it the Z-Synth. But I can't seem to find what pedal it's modeled on.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546