NCD: PJB C4 Lites

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
bigswifty

NCD: PJB C4 Lites

Post by bigswifty » 03 Jul 2019, 14:55

So here they are in all their pint sized glory. I'll try them at gigs this weekend.

First impressions were I didn't like them too much with my Trace ELF head, not sure what was going on there but they almost sounded like they were farting out slightly although I don't really see how that could have been the case. Very odd.

With the Little Mark II they are great though. Really defined, more clarity than I'm used to (ahem). So that's what I'm going to use over the weekend. Even if it means retiring the ELF in favour of the LMII, I'm still wayyyyy down on my lug weight which is good. And back to one trip to/from the car, which is GREAT.

So, fingers crossed it all does the job on the weekend. Will report back on Monday.

Mike

I'm a mean offloading machine!

mcrawfordmusic

Re: NCD: PJB C4 Lites

Post by mcrawfordmusic » 03 Jul 2019, 16:20

I look forward to hearing a gig report of these!

I just acquired a PJB Cub PB100 combo last week and I'm very impressed by the tone. Very articulate and clear.

In fact, I should probably do a NAD for it...

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 03 Jul 2019, 16:50

I have a good combination of gigs for testing these out, three venues that are very familiar to me, two without PA support, one with. One super-bright room, one boomy-boxy room, so it's trial by fire.

Edit: If someone can tell me what the crash-bar plastic bumpers on the back of the cabs if for, that would be great.

Soong

Post by Soong » 03 Jul 2019, 18:51

bigswifty wrote: ↑
03 Jul 2019, 16:50
Edit: If someone can tell me what the crash-bar plastic bumpers on the back of the cabs if for, that would be great.
I reckon it’s for easy loading into your boot so you can lie it flat?

Ps pics not working...?
MTD Bass Artist // Phil Jones Bass Artist
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram

Heath

Post by Heath » 03 Jul 2019, 19:18

I found these cabs are really power hungry, hence the elf not really cutting it with them, my Tc rh450 is barely enough for them, the thunderfunk was adequate but with the little mark 800 they really pack a punch...also the neo (lites) have more pronounced mids than the ceramic models....but enjoy man...and sorry πŸ˜‚
Cole Clarke LL5, Yamaha 425x, Fender CS 57P+Geddy Lee, Sandberg Ida, Spector Euro 4LX, Belman Custom 5
Amps: Markbass, Thunderfunk, Phil Jones
http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 04 Jul 2019, 13:19

Very nice, Mike!! Look forward to the gig report.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 04 Jul 2019, 18:42

Hey Heath, at gigs are you putting your C4's on the floor like you had at the GTG or are you sitting them on top of something? I'm wondering whether to sit them on my road case. It would be nice to experiment, but the first gig tomorrow night is super tight and I won't be able to get to them after we start.

Mike
Heath wrote: ↑
03 Jul 2019, 19:18
I found these cabs are really power hungry, hence the elf not really cutting it with them, my Tc rh450 is barely enough for them, the thunderfunk was adequate but with the little mark 800 they really pack a punch...also the neo (lites) have more pronounced mids than the ceramic models....but enjoy man...and sorry πŸ˜‚

Heath

Post by Heath » 04 Jul 2019, 20:08

I run them like I had at the gtg, although one of my next gigs I wanna try them both on the ground side by side
Cole Clarke LL5, Yamaha 425x, Fender CS 57P+Geddy Lee, Sandberg Ida, Spector Euro 4LX, Belman Custom 5

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 04 Jul 2019, 20:40

04 Jul 2019, 20:08
I run them like I had at the gtg, although one of my next gigs I wanna try them both on the ground side by side
:thumbup:

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 06 Jul 2019, 02:39

First Gig Done.
Exec Summary: All went fine :)

Deets: This was at a small inner city pub I've played at many times with a variety of gear. I've generally had trouble with articulation in this place and generally have to run my HPF pretty hard in order to get any decent sort of pitch definition. No problems tonight, left the HPF almost fully off (first time I've done that indoors since I got it). *Tons* of volume, the LMII was barely ticking over and I was also backed off on the master volume on my bass (Stingray 4H 3-band). Next time at a venue this size I am going to take both cabs but try just one, I have a feeling it would have been fine tonight.

The response of the cabs was surprising and I was actually finding myself playing differently. Ghost notes suddenly sounded like ... ghost notes! As opposed to a sort of muffled noise. I could actually hear the space between the muted notes - lovely!

Next up, tomorrow night in Canberra, playing on a hard wooden dance floor surrounded by glass in a much larger place. Another of my "horror sound" venues. Will report how it goes.
Mike

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 06 Jul 2019, 20:37

bigswifty wrote: ↑
06 Jul 2019, 02:39
Next up, tomorrow night in Canberra, playing on a hard wooden dance floor surrounded by glass in a much larger place. Another of my "horror sound" venues. Will report how it goes.
Mike
I remember playing venues like this. Made me hate being a bass player. Hope its another positive experience with the new cab. :thumbup:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

DeadlyErnest

Post by DeadlyErnest » 07 Jul 2019, 22:44

So it was the elf clipping, not the speakers overloading?
Will play for food.

Heath

Post by Heath » 08 Jul 2019, 00:59

DeadlyErnest wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2019, 22:44
It’s not clipping, it’s just the speakers not being given enough power to really work

So it was the elf clipping, not the speakers overloading?

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 08 Jul 2019, 11:04

Quick report: Survived the rest of the weekend's gigs. The wooden floor/glass gig was a challenge as always, but perhaps less so with these cabs since the bottom end is so much tighter and easier to control and balance, so that was good.

Last night was an odd one. Guitar-bass-drums. First set barely above acoustic levels, drummer on brushes. Second set full PA support and rocking out. Well damped and acoustically neutral venue (sigh, at last). I found it a bit fiddly with the quiet set, but I was happy. Next time at this venue I think I will just use one cab for the quiet set, and maybe face it up at the ceiling or situate it somehow I can drive it a little harder without obliterating everything else.

Anyhoo, had a good weekend with the little cabs and really enjoying them, real eye openers. My back thanks me.

Mike

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 11 Jul 2019, 13:18

Hah, thought I'd throw up a photo of my new double quad stack. Which just about reaches my thighs haha.