Delano/Glockenklang combo

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
Paisley

Delano/Glockenklang combo

Post by Paisley » 13 Mar 2019, 14:52

I've just bought a pair of Delano Dual Coil Soapbars to try out in one of my Basses. The existing Preamp in the Bass won't suit the Delanos, so I'm after another Pre for it & have pretty much settled on getting a Glockenklang 3 band. From what I've read, the Delano/Glock combo seems to get some favorable wraps; plus I've got a Glock Pre & a Basslines MM pickup in a Fretless project bass, & although it's still not quite finished, already I can hear it's going to be a nice setup.
:thumbup:

Couple of quick questions; does anyone here already have a Delano/Glock setup in a Bass? All reports describe both elements as being extremely clean, which makes me wonder if this combo might be a bit too clean (as in sterile). Be interested to hear feedback from any existing users.

Secondly, there's been some reports of the Glock pots being too short to fit some Basses without modifying the control cavity. Has anyone struck this issue with a Glock preamp before?

Cheers! :)
Last edited by Paisley on 13 Mar 2019, 20:28, edited 2 times in total.
Singer: What's up??
Bassist: F*****g Drummer detuned one of my strings!
Singer: Well, what's wrong with that?
Bassist: He won't tell me which one it is.....

Classic5

Re: Delano/Glockenklang combo

Post by Classic5 » 13 Mar 2019, 15:03

The bass I built at MSGM last year has Delano pickups and a 3 band Glock pre - sounds great to me. I don't think you can go wrong with this combination. But take note of the frequency cetres on the Glock, the treble is very high which gives you a great slap tone - if you slap.
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

drbass

Post by drbass » 13 Mar 2019, 15:51

I have a bass with an MC5 HE EB (from memory it's a dual coil, not the quad coil) with a Glockenklang 3-band. Probably one of the most aggressive basses I've ever played - enormous amounts of everything but clean, not distorted or "stressed". Pickup in the MM position, of course.
Currently building 2 basses with Xtender dual coils in the G&L bridge position and Glockenklang 3-band - obviously under construction so not able to make any comments on sound.
I have a number of basses with Delano pickups and the Nordstrand 3b pre - that's a combo I really like (unfortunately no passive treble roll-off like the Glock).

Still happy to meet at some stage so you can hear for yourself.

Glockenklang pots require a 7 mm hole, Nordstrand 9 or 9.5 (depending on which pot). I haven't had any issues with "length".

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 14 Mar 2019, 10:01

drbass wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 15:51
I have a bass with an MC5 HE EB (from memory it's a dual coil, not the quad coil) with a Glockenklang 3-band. Probably one of the most aggressive basses I've ever played - enormous amounts of everything but clean, not distorted or "stressed". Pickup in the MM position, of course.

I have a number of basses with Delano pickups and the Nordstrand 3b pre - that's a combo I really like (unfortunately no passive treble roll-off like the Glock).
Thanks for that Michael. Yeah, the first combo you mentioned probably isn't too different from the setup in this Fretless project I'm working on; it sounds great. The Delanos I'm getting (SBC-5HE/S) are apparently quite similar to Bart Classics, so I'm guessing that the Basslines MM pickup I've got in the Fretless will probably have a tad more 'attitude' than the Delano Sopabars.

Good to hear you like the Nordy Pre with the Delano Pickups. I've never tried the Nordy before, but from what I understand it's very transparent when not engaging any boosting/cutting; in this regard, it's probably similar to the Glock.

Classic5 wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 15:03
The bass I built at MSGM last year has Delano pickups and a 3 band Glock pre - sounds great to me. I don't think you can go wrong with this combination. But take note of the frequency cetres on the Glock, the treble is very high which gives you a great slap tone - if you slap.
No worries. I do some slapping occasionally when the need arises (usually Wedding Gigs :lol: ) but it's not something I focus on too much. Having said that, I often palm mute & pour a stack of tops on for a nice click; the Glock pre works really nice for that.
:thumbup:

If I was to hazard a guess at the 18Khz freq point, I suspect it's probably to give the effect of a top end EQ shelf without boosting anything beyond what's necessary. Just a guess, but makes sense.
:hmm
Singer: What's up??
Bassist: F*****g Drummer detuned one of my strings!
Singer: Well, what's wrong with that?
Bassist: He won't tell me which one it is.....

Heath

Post by Heath » 14 Mar 2019, 23:23

Sandbergs are Delano made pickups and I’m pretty sure the pre’s are made by glockenlang too, just a 2 band
Cole Clarke LL5, Yamaha 425x, Fender CS 57P+Geddy Lee, Sandberg Ida, Spector Euro 4LX, Belman Custom 5
Amps: Markbass
http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band