New Double cut 5 string (PLB5-DC) $3400

Maker of handmade contemporary bass guitars (made in Melbourne) and teacher of bass guitar lutherie. Find out about the latest builds here.
David Searle Guitars

New Double cut 5 string (PLB5-DC) $3400

Post by David Searle Guitars » 08 Feb 2015, 14:36

Hi All,
I've set myself to create a new series of basses starting with some double cut and some neck-through models.
All of these designs have their origins in Peter Lamburd's 6 string blue bass (hence the PLB model designation). The body size has been narrowed down for these 5 string versions, and an upper horn has been added. The lower cut-away/horn is retained from the original design.

This first bass has an alder body with a flame maple veneer face. The construction will be bolt-on (5 bolt). The neck will be quarter sawn maple with an angled headstock. At this point I'm intending to use rosewood for the fretboard, but I could be diverted if I find an interesting flame maple fretboard. The neck will have a double action truss rod with graphite rod stiffeners. Fretwire will be the small type used on Peter's bass (something also being favoured at Fodera and Dingwall at present). The scale will be 35".

Set out below will be some shots of the work in progress. I'll start a second thread for its Magogany bodied 'twin'. Check that one out to!

The body at present.

Cheers, David.
Last edited by David Searle Guitars on 14 Dec 2015, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

David Searle Guitars

Re: New Double cut 5 string (PLB5-DC)

Post by David Searle Guitars » 08 Feb 2015, 15:01

Here I have a shot of the body when it was in the veneering phase. The method I use to get the veneer onto the body of the guitar is with a Roarockit thin air press. These were originally designed to be used for the making of skateboard decks but work brilliantly in getting veneer onto curved surfaces like forearm cuts.

The thin air press can apply an amazing amount of pressure onto the surface of the body. It will actually pull glue right through the veneer sheet!!!

Cheers, David

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 08 Feb 2015, 15:21

The neck blanks.
Two piece quarter sawn maple. Awaiting there next machining. I like to rest them for a while to allow for possible movement after the first lot of machining and gluing.

Cheers, David.

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 08 Feb 2015, 15:27

Rear shot of the body. Here you can see the marking out of the neck bolts and the rear electronics route. This rear route should just about take any amount of on-board preamp mayhem!

Close-up of the rear of the neck pocket with some simple pencil guide lines to carve to.

The carve 'in progress'

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 08 Feb 2015, 15:41

Regarding the thin air press... A vacuum will apply about 14 psi (perfect vacuum is 14.7) ... That body is at least 400 square inches... So we are looking at a combined force of 4800 pounds or over 2 metric tonnes of aggregate force on that top.

Yep... A LOT of force.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 08 Feb 2015, 15:55

PilbaraBass wrote:Regarding the thin air press... A vacuum will apply about 14 psi (perfect vacuum is 14.7) ... That body is at least 400 square inches... So we are looking at a combined force of 4800 pounds or over 2 metric tonnes of aggregate force on that top.

Yep... A LOT of force.
Your not kidding!
You can see in the shot of the veneer bag that it uses a plastic mesh to allow the air to be evenly taken from around the the item inside. I've found that I've had to make a thin sheet of protective polycarbonate in between the veneer and the mesh to stop the mesh from being imprinted into the surface of the guitar!!!!!

Cheers, David

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 08 Feb 2015, 16:54

nice
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

jcburn

Post by jcburn » 11 Mar 2015, 19:53

Hey David - any update pics on any of your DC 5 string basses? Love the look of the body shape, can't wait to see one finished.
'97 G&L L2000. '95 G&L L2000. Fender Frank Bello. Yamaha TRB4
Warwick Quad VI. Warwick Tubepath 5.1. Hartke LH500.
Ashdown ABM 410 x 2
Line 6 G30. Dunlop Bass Crybaby Wah. EBS Billy Sheehan Dlx. MXR M80 DI+. DSM Noisemaker OCSD.

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 11 Mar 2015, 20:03

jcburn wrote:Hey David - any update pics on any of your DC 5 string basses? Love the look of the body shape, can't wait to see one finished.
Hi Jcburn,
I've been working on bodies at the moment. Two more infact that have this shape but with a neck through design. Tomorrow I'll be getting into the machining of the necks for all of the 5 string bass series. The other thing that turned up today was the graphite rods to supplement the truss rods.
So out with the routers and jigs and onto the sawdust and noise! :D
I'll update as soon as I've got some machining done.

Cheers, David.

jcburn

Post by jcburn » 12 Mar 2015, 12:04

That would be great, the body shape looks awesome.
'97 G&L L2000. '95 G&L L2000. Fender Frank Bello. Yamaha TRB4
Warwick Quad VI. Warwick Tubepath 5.1. Hartke LH500.
Ashdown ABM 410 x 2
Line 6 G30. Dunlop Bass Crybaby Wah. EBS Billy Sheehan Dlx. MXR M80 DI+. DSM Noisemaker OCSD.

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 28 Mar 2015, 19:06

OK!

Some update shots of the 'forest of necks' that are currently under construction! I'll post most of these shots on this thread and as the necks progress I'll put them in their proper threads. All of these necks have a double action truss rod with two graphite rods.

I've had a re-think about some of the neck materials (Yes Ivan, I've come across some ebony fretboards and a highly figured maple board for the right price) So the rosewood boards will only be on few of them.

So here goes then...

Headstocks cut out and the neck blanks left wide to keep the routing templates stable for the truss rod and the carbon fibre rods slots.

Cheers, David

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 28 Mar 2015, 19:07

Some more

Truss rods and carbon fibre slots routed

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 28 Mar 2015, 19:16

And from another angle...

Fretboards Ahoy!!!!

Notice how there's more fretboards than the original set of 5 string basses???? Yep there's more five stringers in production now. 6 in total! That makes at least two that you've not seen yet. :D Both of them are double cut neck through's. One with a highly figured maple top and one with a silky oak top. Wait 'till you see those two.... :hyper:

Cheers, David.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 28 Mar 2015, 19:24

Oooh err!
Strings: Fender, Custom, Framus, Warwick
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Cones: Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 05 Apr 2015, 20:31

More update shots on the 'Forest of necks'

Fretboard slotting day! Ebony, rosewood and maple. All have been machined with a 20" radius and slotted to a 35" scale (just 22 frets this time!!). There are 6 boards to be made so that's 144 slots including docking the boards to length! :crazy:

Looking 'down the barrel' of three of the fretboards.